My Baby Is Totalled

My car is totalled, and I never got to take pics along the way of my mods like I had hoped to. By the way, I have the pics of it modded up before and after the accident on http://www.cardomain.com/id/lextildeath. Let me know what you think. The night shots are before I lowered it. I had done just about everything I said I was going to do in an earlier post: clear corners, grill inserts, tint, is300 rims, pirellis, lowered sport suspension, platinum tint, 2000-2001 tail lights, intake, exhaust, ignition, 12" audiobahn sub, and I JUST finished saving up for my header budget. I had $1,600 that I can spend with out being broke. I was maybe a day away from ordering them, since my friend who was supposed to fab them up chickened out. The accident happened April 9, 2005 after coming from my friends house late after playing video games and hanging out. A big raised SUV SOB came up behind me and was tailgaiting me and highbeaming me. I gunned it to see if he was purposely being a :censored: and he proved he was by gunning it too. Then I slowed down a lot to be spiteful. Well, I came to a residential intersection . You must either turn left or right at the stop sign. Preoccupied by being blinded and harrassed and looking in my rear view, I went STRAIGHT at the stop sign. Over a curb, into the depths of a 6 foot deep ditch. All at 30ish mph- no really. I am embrassed that I totalled the car going so slow. I speed all the time and never got close to an accident because I know HOW to speed properly. Ironic. Looks like cosmetic damage, but what the eye can't see from the exterior is that the engine cradle is bent and the air bags are both deployed. The insurance declared the car totalled, so fixing it meant spending on parts, labor, AND fees to tow the car to New Britain and more fees to evaluate it for rehabilitation, and more fees to renew the title, and paying taxes and registration on the car all over again. Lots of garbage. So they took my baby away and declared it my fault as the other driver disappeared. My insurance will go through the roof soon. I took off everything that was bolt on-only the tint and grill inserts were left on. Now I need a car that will be cheaper on insurance and on purchase price. I got 12k from the insurance but would like to spend maybe 8k or less on a Lexus. Should I get another 97 ES300 but with higher miles or should I get a 1992 SC300 with 75k original miles for 7k? I am not too crazy about the 92-96 ES (nice car though) and not too fond of the 92-97 GS300 (nice too) so it is basically an SC300 or a 97-01 ES for under 8k. No V8s. Opinions? Thoughts? Engine swap possibilities? Should I maybe even consider a Solara V6 so I can use all the bolt ons again? Any comments appreciated.

Very sorry to hear that it was totaled; sounded like you put a lot of work and time into it. :(

too bad that idiot didn't show himself like a man!

Well if i were you i would look into getting another es300, any year.... At least it'll be somewhat back to normal soon.

Seems to me, this is a case of "Road Rage"! Sorry to hear about your loss. I am willing to bet you're under 25 years old. That's why insurance rates are so high. :angry:

Sorry about your loss :( . Good thing you're okay though. Looking forward, I would definitely consider a SC300 because like SK said it has a lot of modding potential and it's significantly sportier than the ES especially if you're lucky enough to find a 5 speed manual one B) . Good luck on your search!

Seems to me, this is a case of "Road Rage"! Sorry to hear about your loss. I am willing to bet you're under 25 years old. That's why insurance rates are so high.  :angry:

Yes, this is why when you meet people like that, just pull over and let them get by you. If its THAT important to them, whats the big deal? Can't let your ego get in the way of your common sense, as this guy has learned.

Seems to me, this is a case of "Road Rage"! Sorry to hear about your loss. I am willing to bet you're under 25 years old. That's why insurance rates are so high.  :angry:

Yes, this is why when you meet people like that, just pull over and let them get by you. If its THAT important to them, whats the big deal? Can't let your ego get in the way of your common sense, as this guy has learned.

damn dude that sucks big ones, sorry to hear that.

u think i could purchace a door lock switch from u?

Very sorry to hear that it was totaled; sounded like you put a lot of work and time into it.  :(

Why? The other driver wasn't at fault.

Granted, he should have stayed around as a witness and more importantly to see if anyone was hurt, but 'I didn't like the guy behind me driving too close' isn't an excuse for speeding through a stop sign at 30 mph and driving off the road.

Very sorry to hear that it was totaled; sounded like you put a lot of work and time into it.  :(

Why? The other driver wasn't at fault.

Granted, he should have stayed around as a witness and more importantly to see if anyone was hurt, but 'I didn't like the guy behind me driving too close' isn't an excuse for speeding through a stop sign at 30 mph and driving off the road.

I have to agree with jragosta on that one. You are suppose to have control of your vehicle at all times & if someone is harassing you that badly, let them pass. :whistles:

:cheers:

Hey all, thanks for responses. I know I am at fault for this one-not really disputing that one. I just wanted to share my story, and ask suggestions for a car and maybe some will learn from my mistake. I don't want anyone to be overconfident and wreck their dream car like I did. I guess I'm kinda leaning towards an older SC300 with all your suggestions and price factored as well.

I have a new question though. The SC300 has 225hp and the IS300 has 215hp. Why is this so? Could it be the dual exhaust vs. single, or different intake/exhaust manifolds, cams? The reason I ask this is I wanna know if a mod done to the IS like intake, exhaust, and headers adding 30hp equaling 245hp - would the SC only increase by 20hp equaling 245hp, or would the SC also increase by 30hp to equal 255hp? Anyone have a clue what I am saying? Kinda hard to describe. Oh, and would the IS300 headers on an SC have to be lengthened or welded at the down pipe, or would it match the exhaust system the same?

Thanks,

Anthony.

Personally, I'm partial to a 4 door myself........more user friendly & cheaper on insurance to boot. Just my 2 cents. I'd go with another ES or perhaps an IS. B)

:cheers: