Rx400h Supply?

I'm opening this thread for people to post FIRST HAND information they have on the rx400 supply, e.g., from personal dealer visits. So, if you have been to a dealer recently, please post any info you may have gathered!

I'm kinda thinking the rx400h supply is not as bad as the dealers are trying to suggest... I was at Longo lexus in So. Cal today. I saw at least 12 rx400h's in the garage downstairs, and maybe 4 more scattered about the other lots. Estimating that they had a few more I didn't see (I didn't do an exhaustive search), I would guess they have about 15-20 on the premises. I was expecting to show up and see a couple at most!

They are a large lexus dealer - the salesperson said the largest in the western US. (Where in the entire US would they sell more lexi than in so cal?? I don't know!)

Salesperson explained that most of these cars are already bought, which I believe. But, how long will a new rx400h hang around before it's picked up by the owner - I bet not more than a week or so (just guessing). So that implies there is a decent throughput of cars for there to be 20 there at any one time.

Dealer also offered me one rx400 on the spot - ugly color combination though. I believe he also had a gold one, not sure. I did order a particular color/options combination, and got other hints that other color/option combinations (that I didn't want) were available with no wait or a short wait.

So... I agreed to pay sticker price, but my gut feeling was that perhaps people won't have to pay sticker price for too many months longer, particularly if you are not picky on color, etc. and shop around dealers. After the wait is gone, the next thing to give has to be the price. As it is, I am only waiting 3 wks for exactly the car I wanted... maybe I got lucky, but maybe not! (Hence my request for more first hand info!)

Anybody else have a count of specific numbers of rx400h's at specific dealer lots? Be as specific as possible on your info.

HINT: you can quickly distinguish the rx400h from the rx330 from the front by the foglights: rx400h has 2 circular foglights, rx330 has (roughly) rectangular ones.

Happy shopping...

P.S. Oh: also, if you think you are on the "waiting list" at the dealer: I get the feeling that it's VERY fuzzy. I get the feeling that there is essentially no strict list. I suspect that if you ordered a car, you will get that specific car; however, if someone who ordered a car cancels, that car does not go in a "fair" way to the next person on the list that matches the same car. Basically, I think the orphaned cars skip all the people on the list, and the dealers use those cars to sign up new people by promising a short wait. So, customers may be satisfied out of order, but in the end the total number of people agreeing to pay full sticker price is larger.

80% of dealer pickups occurs the last 3 days of the months as customers try to squeeze the last few miles out of the current car. Secondly people leave deposits but dont want the car until august or dec. etc. So there are cars that are available even though there is a wait list. The factory has also front loaded production. So there wouldnt be a tremendous lag in delivery time on the 1st orders

What I would like to know id why they don't have breakwater blue anymore, or any lighter blue??  :cries:

My dealer speculatd that, that color and an other will not be available on the 2006 RX330 come so they disco now on the 2006 Rx400h.

I believe the wait differs by area. I have been on the list for over a year, given my color choices and am still waiting. I am not that far down the list, but many people requested the same color and they aren't being made in quantities.I called every Lexus dealer in the state--nobody is expecting that car before the end of June. The cars may be in CA, but they haven't reached NJ in mass quantities yet. Part of the problem is the way Lexus is building them. They built tons of Savannahs and almost every dealer has one to spare. On the other hand they built very few blues and the waiting list is very long here.

When I went to my dealer a week ago to pick up some all-weather floormats, the RX400h was still in very short supply. They didn't even have a demo/display vehicle for people to test drive. The very first vehicles that came in were given to customers on the waiting list. Most of the technicians didn't even seem to have seen an RX400h and were gathering around mine saying "is that the hybrid?" etc.

My dealer said they only get 12 to 15 a month, and I was #45 on the list. But I got the fourth RX400h that they received! So those of you on the waiting list, take heart. A lot of people ahead of you may not be able to pay for the car right away (in which case the car goes to the next on the list) or they might have requested a less common color or option. If I had wanted RSES I would probably still be waiting. The salesperson said they only expected 30% to come with the rear seat entertainment system.

I didn't request RSES mainly because it looks like it blocks the driver's rear view when the flip screen is down and lowers the height of the roof. Also a portable dvd player (like those you can rent in airports) seems like a much better option. It's easy to upgrade (just get a new one) if new technology comes out, inexpensive, and portable (if you are on a road trip, you might want to bring your DVD player down to your hotel or something, what good is a DVD player that is attached to your car.)

I use my laptop in Hotels. And for the Factory system, when the Wife is shopping, I can watch a movie on the Nav screen, so cool.

That's enough incentive for me.

Yes the screen does block rear view a little, but I tend to focus my view in the front direction.

Thanks, Raymond

HINT: you can quickly distinguish the rx400h from the rx330 from the front by the foglights: rx400h has 2 circular foglights, rx330 has (roughly) rectangular ones.

I find that the grill/intake in the front bumper is the easiest way to tell that you have an RX400h. But from the rear it is very hard to tell the RX400h apart from RX330's. The only cues as far as I can tell are the badging (which is hard to see from a distance) and the taillights have horizontal instead of vertical stripes (again very hard to see from a distance.) I've been looking but still have't seen another RX400h out on the road :)

I find that the grill/intake in the front bumper is the easiest way to tell that you have an RX400h. But from the rear it is very hard to tell the RX400h apart from RX330's. The only cues as far as I can tell are the badging (which is hard to see from a distance) and the taillights have horizontal instead of vertical stripes (again very hard to see from a distance.) I've been looking but still have't seen another RX400h out on the road :)

Saw my first one driving home last Sunday. I wanted to honk and wave to my fellow 400h driver, but I figured he'd thinnk I was a freak. Was a fun moment to see another one out and about.

I had an order placed on the East Coast dealer back in August and was told oh it will be a while.

The weekend before while vacationing in another part of State, a Black Lexus RX 400 H with the light gray interior was available. They just got it in. He was going to sell it to me right there.

Then I went to another dealer the same weekend and found out that I could get one May 25th off boat.

They can be found and you dont have to pay any amount over invoice.

One dealer in my area tried to convince me that and I told them that was crazy considering I found 2 elsewhere.

I'm opening this thread for people to post FIRST HAND information they have on the rx400 supply, e.g., from personal dealer visits. So, if you have been to a dealer recently, please post any info you may have gathered!

I have been watching availability on the Prius and the Hybrid Highlander and now,

in the last several days, the RX400h. My daughter and I each bought a 400h in the last three days. A salesman in the Internet Dept at a local Lexus dealership corresponded with me a few times in the last six months but up to three days ago, I had decided to not buy such an expensive car (Lexus). We planned to buy the "loaded" Hybrid Highlander Limited and still are on a HH WaitList, with deposit, for this purchase for another family member.

However, guess what? I started adding up the expense of the HH Limited 4WD with Navigation compared to the RX 400h and thought we might consider buying the 400h even though it really was about $10,000 more than the "loaded" HH.

This consideration was based on the "night and day" difference between the HH and the 400h in terms of quality, performance, noise abatement, appearance, etc.

We looked at the 400h and my daughter was offered a very good deal for one which a Buyer on the WaitList turned down. She bought it immediately.

My inspection and driving of her new car influenced me to again look at and test- drive the 400h. Besides, I was envious. While there, I was offered one in a very good deal which another Buyer had turned down (both of the WaitList buyers had moved back up North for the summer -- I live in a Winter Season Vacation area).

Note: it was best for me to trade-in my very low mileage Prius 2004 because of the high amount in trade-in I was given which lowered the sales price. My sales tax on the resulting price of the 400h was significantly lower than without a trade-in.

I do not know how the WaitLists are managed but seemingly, if a car which is already on the lot is turned down and a buyer is immediately available, the car is offered for a quick sale. I was told that if a RX400h was on the lot and then stayed on the lot past a Saturday inventory, that dealer's allocation would be reduced by that number (for one car remaining unsold, one car less would be sent in a future allocation).

I asked about the evidently large availability of the 400h. I was told that Lexus intentionally manufactured a large-enough quantity so that the low availability and long wait time scenario of the Prius would not occur. Frankly, though, it is my impression that the Lexus 400h sales might be slower than hoped for and this is likely due to the higher price. However, I bought at this time for several other reasons rather than wait for a lower future price. By comparison, I have been on a WaitList, with deposit, for the Hybrid Highlander (HH) and I estimate that the HH will sell faster than the 400h because of pricing. The HH is due at Toyota dealerships in June.

In summary, though, I have looked at all the various hybrid SUVs available now and the Lexus RX400h is the "one for me" and I am extremely happy so far.

My daughter feels the same way... She says that she plans to keep it for many years and will be happier with the RX400h during this time.

The dealership here seems to have them coming in quite often ... some of them sit on the lot for a week or so, but you never know the reason for that. Just saying there have been more coming through than I thought there might be.

>>>>

I'm opening this thread for people to post FIRST HAND information they have on the rx400 supply, e.g., from personal dealer visits. So, if you have been to a dealer recently, please post any info you may have gathered!>>>>

A Lexus dealership in Naples, Florida (DEEP SW Florida) just emailed me that they would have a white 400h in stock soon which I could buy. I had inquired there previously although it is not extremely near my home. That dealership charges about $500 for dealer prep. The Lexus dealership nearer to me where I bought (Ft Myers) does not add such a charge and I have the impression they would not "gouge" me as much with "add-ons". I was impressed with the Ft Myers people I dealt with. btw, I did not pay a premium over MSRP.

I had had emails with the Ft Myers Internet Dept Manager (Doug) for maybe six months before I bought and this seemed to be the most efficient way for me to be treated (I buy using an Internet Dept usually). That manager spent as much time with me in showing the car as any floor salesperson would do. In fact, he has scheduled my daughter (another 400h owner) and me for several "orientations" on the Navigation system plus any feature we wish more info on. It was a bit funny that I had told him in my earlier messages that I did not want all the luxury features like the Navigation but I bought immediately when I actually saw the RX 400h as did my daughter.... What a great car !

I wish that the 400h had a separate Forum... there is so much posted now on different cars in this Forum that it is difficult to find info strictly on the 400h.

I also wished I was smart enough to go directly to the last date I read messages in all the threads of interest to me. I can get to that point but it is a slower process than I want. In addition to being notified that there was a posted reply to a message from me, has anyone used an efficient way to find info they want? Looking at all the many threads available is daunting to me.

Three cheers for the RX 440h !!

dreamchaser, there is a little orange icon at the beginning of the titles of threads where something has been posted since you last read them (at least as I see the forum). If you hover your mouse over the icon, it says "go to last unread" and if you click on it it takes you to the last unread message.

dreamchaser, there is a little orange icon at the beginning of the titles of threads where something has been posted since you last read them (at least as I see the forum). If you hover your mouse over the icon, it says "go to last unread" and if you click on it it takes you to the last unread message.

>>

Thanks Patt, I have done that successfully. I think I had been looking at the "visitor" list of threads part of the time which is overwhelming to me.

Re: availability, today, I received notice from the Naples, FL dealership that yet another RX400h is available ASAP.

Gota call last night on a silver/gray (no DVD) available in Westminster CA (so cal).

I declined because of the color and because that delership is chroming the rims and charging a $1700 premeium for the desecration of the OEM finish. :wacko:

was at Longo lexus in So. Cal today. I saw at least 12 rx400h's in the garage downstairs, and maybe 4 more scattered about the other lots. Estimating that they had a few more I didn't see (I didn't do an exhaustive search), I would guess they have about 15-20 on the premises. I was expecting to show up and see a couple at most!

I was back at Longo Lexus on 5/23 and counted 14 rx400h's. Salesperson said the ones with the sticker still on the window were not yet under contract - there were at least 3 like that.

Reason for return visit was to pick up our car! Total wait time: 14 days. (Car had actually arrived 3 days before.) It was exactly the car we wanted: silver/gray with DVD.

Paid sticker price. Salesperson said dealership policy was to not charge over sticker. They didn't try to add any weird after-market stuff either. I think they're a good dealer.

Car is great, love it.

• 2 weeks later...

I just bought walked in to two dealers in central New Jersey to test drive the RX 400h yesterday. One dealer had a mica/black 400h on the lot that he was selling and he told me several other unspoken for cars were coming in w/in the next month.

I went to another dealer and was able to negotiate a good trade-in for my 2003 MDX and get MSRP on a Silver/grey 400h that is expected to be delivered next week.

I'm very excited because I expected to be put on a waiting list and have a 6 month wait at least. Both dealers told me if you are willing to be flexible on colors that you can get the car w/in a month.

So there are cars out there and the wait time for my car will be considerably shorter than I waited for my MDX.

Last night I checked ebay for RX400h and found two in Portland OR, both new and available "buy it now" for $45,000. Non-Lexus dealer with, as my vague memory recalls, not so stellar a reputation, but what gives....???

Last night I checked ebay for RX400h and found two in Portland OR, both new and available "buy it now" for $45,000. Non-Lexus dealer with, as my vague memory recalls, not so stellar a reputation, but what gives....???

The 2 vehicles listed for $45,000 didn't have the "buy it now" option when I checked. $45,000 is the starting bid, and indicated "reserve not met", meaning it would sell for more (depending on the reserve price). Interesting that the seller is a Ferrari/Maserati dealer.

The 2 vehicles listed for $45,000 didn't have the "buy it now" option when I checked. $45,000 is the starting bid, and indicated "reserve not met", meaning it would sell for more (depending on the reserve price). Interesting that the seller is a Ferrari/Maserati dealer.

There's one for $50,705, but no one's buying.

I went to a Lexus dealer outside of Seattle. While they have a waiting list that i am on, they also find some people on the list unreachable for what ever reason and offer these cars to the next people on the list. At this time there are two cars on the lot, one white and one bamboo pearl. The white one is unusual in that it is a grand cheaper because of the regular sound system rather than the mark levinson. They sell them at sticker with no additional markup. thanks for all the info on this site, dave

Just got back from the Lexus of Bellevue dealership to pick up my black on black 400h. I had gone to the dealership the first week of May (this year), put down a deposit and got on the waiting list. I still don't fully understand the workings of the waiting list, but I think that the entire list for the dealership is then divided up amongst the sales staff and how they each managed the list is variable. Apparently coming in for the test drive, making the deposit may have put me on the shorter list than those who may have originally expressed interest over a year ago but hadn't been heard from since then. I was asked for first and second choice colors.

At the next closest dealership, Lexus of Seattle, which is in Lynnwood, their waiting list gave preferential listing to previous customers of the dealership; kinda like an "A" list and "B" list. Being a non-previous customer but willing to put down a deposit back in May, I was informed that the wait time would be 12-18 months...definitely not 2005. Never got around to putting down the deposit there since I got the call from Bellevue so soon.

Now I can also take advantage of the clean fuel vehicle deduction for this year! :D

Thanks everyone for the helpful information on the forum.