Which Is Faster?

hello,

I was wondering what people thought which is faster, or when compared to each other which is better? A Lexus SC400 or a Nissan 350Z (both stock).

On the same note which do you think is a better car? ( including luxury, handling, features, etc........)

please respond....and post your opions along with some stats....Thank you all.

350Z would shame most pre 1997 SC400's. The later 300hp SC's could run with it but the Z still has the advantage. It has an option for a 6-spd.

1995 SC4

- 6.7 sec 0 -60; 15.2 @ 93mph

1997 SC4

- 6.3 sec 0 - 60; 14.7 @ 97mph

2003 350Z

- 5.3 sec 0 - 60; 13.8 @ 101mph

Overall the SC is a much nicer car however. A more relevant comparison would be SC400 / 300 vs. an Infiniti G35 Sports Coupe.

Supra vs. Z

SC4 vs. G35....makes more sence to me.

hello,

I was wondering what people thought which is faster, or when compared to each other which is better? A Lexus SC400 or a Nissan 350Z (both stock).

On the same note which do you think is a better car? ( including luxury, handling, features, etc........)

The Nissan 350Z, is faster by far than the SC400s. The SC400 in the mid 90s had 250hp, and the late model SC400s (97-00) had 300 hp. Although the later models had 300 hp, they are significantly heavier than the Z.

Now in terms of better features, like luxury, handling, features, etc, the SC400 exceeds in luxury and features. The SC had heated seats and very nice sound systems. The Z comes with very basic features. The handling on the Z is; however, is much better than the SC.

What about the SC430 versus the 350? Compare the newest of both. Lexus has realized they are giving up valuable sales by not having a high performance line (AMG, M), and it seems that the redesigned SC is at least a token nod toward that change, which should come in full force here in the next few years.

Anyway, so how is the SC430 in terms of performance relative to other new sport cars? I really care because I'm thinking of an upgrade sometime in the next year, and was actually considering an M series or AMG because I want high performance (don't unleash on me, I've read all the threads - you know what I mean.)

What about the SC430 versus the 350?  Compare the newest of both.  Lexus has realized they are giving up valuable sales by not having a high performance line (AMG, M), and it seems that the redesigned SC is at least a token nod toward that change, which should come in full force here in the next few years.

Anyway, so how is the SC430 in terms of performance relative to other new sport cars?  I really care because I'm thinking of an upgrade sometime in the next year, and was actually considering an M series or AMG because I want high performance (don't unleash on me, I've read all the threads - you know what I mean.)

I wouldn't know about the SC430.... however its predecessor the SC400 is an excellent car, fast, reliable, comfortable, and roomy. I have no complaints about the SC400.... however my father was looking into an SC430 but said that it was too small, and cramped on the inside.... so if your looking for a roomy car, I am not sure if this is the way to go, however the best option would be test drive it and see how you like it. In terms of performance, in my opinion it is a very valid competitor to the cars in it's class, and the hardtop convertible is a pleasant option...however for the price you may consider spending a bit more and going with the Mercedes SLK series.

350Z would shame most pre 1997 SC400's. The later 300hp SC's could run with it but the Z still has the advantage. It has an option for a 6-spd.

1995 SC4

1997 SC4

2003 350Z

Overall the SC is a much nicer car however. A more relevant comparison would be SC400 / 300 vs. an Infiniti G35 Sports Coupe.

Supra vs. Z

ok...so what do you think of the SC400 VRS. the Infiniti G35? speed, comfort, features, etc....

1995 SC4

1997 SC4

2003 350Z

Supra vs. Z

ok...so what do you think of the SC400 VRS. the Infiniti G35? speed, comfort, features, etc....

Well, I'm a little biased b/c I own a SC400. But If I had to pick, I'd probibly take the G35...I just cant afford one :D

And the SC430 runs 0-60 in 6.5 and the 1/4 in 14.2 @ 97mph Still quick, but not fast.

Compared to the M and AMG...well it's best not to compare Those types of cars are in a different leauge. MB doesnt have a AMG that takes longer than 5sec to reach 60. And the SC isn't going to run with a M anything in the twisties.

turbo kit is cheaper than G35. I can't lose to a g35 or 350z - yet. Never met a turbo one yet though...

There is a '04 chevy SS running 8 pounds around here somewhere that makes me a little nervous... 02 mustang at 12 pounds... '68 454 camaro...

that's the competition...

I'd be very surprised to see a stock 350z run 13.8 seconds in the 1/4.

1995 SC4

1997 SC4

2003 350Z

Supra vs. Z

Well, I'm a little biased b/c I own a SC400. But If I had to pick, I'd probibly take the G35...I just cant afford one :D

And the SC430 runs 0-60 in 6.5 and the 1/4 in 14.2 @ 97mph Still quick, but not fast.

Compared to the M and AMG...well it's best not to compare Those types of cars are in a different leauge. MB doesnt have a AMG that takes longer than 5sec to reach 60. And the SC isn't going to run with a M anything in the twisties.

true, true, but the SC is still faster then most cars, and to tell you the truth Iam very, very happy with the SC400, it is an awesome car... :ph34r: :D

turbo kit is cheaper than G35.  I can't lose to a g35 or 350z - yet.  Never met a turbo one yet though...

There is a '04 chevy SS running 8 pounds around here somewhere that makes me a little nervous...  02 mustang at 12 pounds... '68 454 camaro... 

that's the competition...

I'd be very surprised to see a stock 350z run 13.8 seconds in the 1/4.

yea, what kind of car do you have a SC?

yes, the TURBO SC3 guys will rape most things on the road. Just like most turbo Supras do. HOWEVER the original question was a STOCK SC4 vs. a STOCK Z. I just refreshed my memory of the 350Z today...and sadly yeah it is that much faster. (Although I still think most of the credit goes to the 6-Spd).

Oh and a 2JZ-GTE equipted SC3 tuned right and running TT's or a single big snail vs. any of the Turboed 350Z's out there tight now..... Not even a contest, the Supra...ooops I mean SC3 damn near every time.

you can have a fast car, but a fast car is nothing without a driver thats knows how to drive. i've raced a couple supras and destroyed them because they didn't know how to drive them cars. what a total waste of a beautiful car.i've also raced a few m3's and mustang gt's and beat them. again the people didn't know how to drive them. like i said i f you don't know how to drive then a car is nothing... SC400 all the way :cheers:

• 2 weeks later...
hello,

Stats have been posted. Faster, then I take da Z by far. Better, SC hands down. All you have to do to beat 95% of the Z's is boost your SC. Way nicer car....Z boys can also boost but it gets back to the old addage of polishing a !Removed!......Lex has better factory suport, creature comforts, ride......"edgy limits" handling goes to the Z that feels every pea in the road. Daily driven, handling/suspension goes to the SC. Z's are fast and quick, but for a year's worth of Roth IRA's in mods my IS 3c with over 300 hp makes 'em blush. Q35? vs Sc400.....overall again its the SC. Chicks dig 'em, ride, tourque, style...... It's no coincidence that Lexus is synonymous with performance luxury cars after only 13 years importing to the US. You want raw power on the cheap? Check out the 1900 pound 190 hp Lotus that is celica gts powered.... But do you want aluminum floorboards & doorpanels, and a/c that barely lows cold? 4.7 0-60. Beets 80k cars in the 1/4. Z350 is a mustng workhorse, SC is a thoroghbred from short but top lineage.

My dream car.....SC430 Blitz twin blowers. high HP AND style.

Regards, Mike

• 6 months later...

whatever...

both cars have 300hp roughly. The Z is faster, but if you are comparing it to a lexus, use the upscale G35 coupe. As far as i know the G35 did NOT recieve the anniversary 300hp engine leaving it at the base 265hp. The last stats I looked at stated a 0 to 60 of 5.9-6.1 seconds depending on who or what magazine tested them. Who said 5.3??!!! that is ludicrous!!! Thats almost M3 territory!!! So even if you use the 5.9 time, thats about half a sec faster than the newest sc400. Where the G35 dominates is the moving acceleration speeds, say 30 to 50 or 50 to 80 and so forth. Since the sc400 is stuck with a 4sp auto, the gears are much longer through these speeds. Thus the car suffers in top end. The only thing that matters is power to weight ratio. Thats the only way to get a fast car. I mean, look at lotus....

• 1 month later...

I own a 2003 SC430 and a 2003 Nissan 350Z. I have never raced the SC but have raced the 350Z at a track. The Z is a much lighter car and a 6 speed at that. It would leave the lexus in the dust in a quarter mile. BUT I would rather take the Lexus on a long highway ride. The Lexus gas petal lags on pickup like it is a tru lux car :geek: