95 Sc400 Audio Problems

escee

Just got a 95 sc400. Love everything except I'm a little too tall for it - my head rubs against the cabin ceiling, causing massive static in my hair :cries: looking like bride of frankenstien! Beyond that, the cd changer was broken.

In the process of attempting to fix the cd changer, i believe the wire harness that plugs from the amp into the cd changer began to go intermittant on me. Thus I started messing with the wire harness. Started the car, and now radio will not power up. All three radio fuses are okay (one in the engine fuse box, two in the kick panel fuse box).

My basic question is: what happened!?

Is the head unit fried?

Is the amp fried?

Could a cable be fried?

Is there a fuse somewhere else?

How can I test what element is fried?

If amp is fried, will radio power up?

Any and all help would be great, thanks!

Sounds like an amp issue to me. In my experience with my fried nak amp the head unit would power up but not without the changer connected, so if your changer is broke that may explain that. I'm no pro though. I got my amp repaired at dealer for 200 with warranty.

Sounds like an amp issue to me.  In my experience with my fried nak amp the head unit would power up but not without the changer connected, so if your changer is broke that may explain that.  I'm no pro though.  I got my amp repaired at dealer for 200 with warranty.

Head unit was working without changer attached.

Is there some "remote on" or somesuch wire that could be fried or reset? I read that in another post, the fix involved crossing the 12v with the remote wire but I've no idea which is which.

Time to start sticking my screwdriver into all kinds of odd places.

Does the HU have power?

No power to the head unit at all.

Just tried a technique from sportcoupe300. plugged in amp, and bridged the 12v to the remote on. The antenna went up, but no head unit power. The amp should have powered up, but how can you tell if the amp is powering up? All fuses are fine, and there is power back to the amp.

I now have the amp out of the car, and open, does anyone have a technique to test if the amp is burnt?

escee,

Check out  http://www.intellexual.net/faq/lexusstereo.swf

This is a link for the Pioneer amps, but if you spend enough time with it, it can help you  with the Nakamichi.

I believe the above information is not correct for the pioneer system in the 95 sc400.

This diagram appears to be accurate:

http://www.lexuspros.com/tutorial2.htm

If anyone could clarify, that would be great.

BTW - I've searched all over this site, and the only answers for "my radio has no power" questions are check the fuses. If the fuses are fine, any other possibilities?

yo escee

i have the same problem as you. I have a eclipse av5101 flip out tuner screen with a dvd player below it. The dvd player below works and all the other electrical components, windows climate, they all work. Everyhting except the screen does not turn on. I have no idea what could be wrong with it. i thought a cable behind it came loose but all were in properly. i have also too checked all the fuses and to no avail. Driving with no music really sucks.

Peace

Darth Vader mobile, just me driving around, breathing.

Other day, driving, van stopped in front of me, I change lanes into right lane. As I come around side of van, homeless dude comes out from in front of van into my lane. Stopped on a dime. Psycho stop. If that was in the prelude... I might be in jail, or at the least, a lot of trouble.

So who can complain? The SC has some serious upside, even if it is dead quite right now.

i was messing around with my fuses today and i put new ones into the boxes. I now have the antenna come up and only one station is playing. The thing is the head unit still isnt turned on and i cant control the volume, stations, etc. I dont get it??

peace

i have no power going through my radio and cd changer also. i checked the engine fuse box and the fuse was blown. i put a new one and the second i put it in it just blew again. i have no idea what it is and where or what to start looking for.

Just got a 95 sc400. Love everything except I'm a little too tall for it - my head rubs against the cabin ceiling, causing massive static in my hair :cries:  looking like bride of frankenstien! Beyond that, the cd changer was broken.

In the process of attempting to fix the cd changer, i believe the wire harness that plugs from the amp into the cd changer began to go intermittant on me. Thus I started messing with the wire harness. Started the car, and now radio will not power up. All three radio fuses are okay (one in the engine fuse box, two in the kick panel fuse box).

Is the head unit fried?

Is the amp fried?

Could a cable be fried?

Sup man, my name is sergio. Im 20 yrs. old, and i own my own shop wich we do custom audio install but we major in electrial problems. from my 13 years experience with these !Removed! lex factory audio systems, the problem is the radio itself. the amp is problaly ok, no a cable wouldn't be bad, there is no other fuses u found them all it sounds like, unless u have a new radio or another lex to put ur radio in u really cant test it, yea if the amp is fried the radio[ from what i know] may still come on u will have no sound. if u want to add a new radio, a aftermarket mounting kit is avaiable 4 ur car. if u still need help or have a question, call me @ 216-376-4515

Just got a 95 sc400. Love everything except I'm a little too tall for it - my head rubs against the cabin ceiling, causing massive static in my hair :cries:  looking like bride of frankenstien! Beyond that, the cd changer was broken.

Is the head unit fried?

Is the amp fried?

Could a cable be fried?

Sup man, my name is sergio. Im 20 yrs. old, and i own my own shop wich we do custom audio install but we major in electrial problems. from my 13 years experience with these !Removed! lex factory audio systems, the problem is the radio itself. the amp is problaly ok, no a cable wouldn't be bad, there is no other fuses u found them all it sounds like, unless u have a new radio or another lex to put ur radio in u really cant test it, yea if the amp is fried the radio[ from what i know] may still come on u will have no sound. if u want to add a new radio, a aftermarket mounting kit is avaiable 4 ur car. if u still need help or have a question, call me @ 216-376-4515

p.s ive done 250 of these cars no lie. i know that whole audio system id like it if u call me i can help u

So Surge,

your diagnosis is that the HU is fried, and the amp is alright?

If that is the case, I was under the impression that there wasn't an aftermarket mounting kit that fit the SC, all other models of lex but not the SC pre, like, '96(doesn't make sense to me...). If there is a kit does it look good?

Beyond that... I'm strapped for cash right now, could I drop an after market hu into the aftermarket mounting kit, and just wire that into my stock amp with stock speakers. I know that isn't really the audiophile way to go, but will it sound at least as good as the old stereo (which wasn't that good)?

Thanks man!