95 Sc400 Audio Problems

escee

i have the same problem but my fuse in the engine compartment is blown. i put a new one and it blew again. don't know what to do or where to look for the problem.

escee, What symptoms were you experiencing when you were having problems with the changer ? What made you think that it was the wiring harness ? And what exactly did you do to the harness and connectors to try to find the problem ?

dc fish, nice avatar -

okay, so radio would power up fine, could listen to radio and tapes, but nothing would happen if you hit the cd button. But in the trunk, the cd player would power up, but wouldn't accept the magazine. Thought it was a minor mechanical problem. Pulled the changer, opened it up, found a leaf and a twig in there, that must have fallen in while the trunk was open. Made some mechanical fixes, a couple of platic pieces that snapped (there was some very low tolerance engineering in there).

While pluging and unpluging the cd changer serveral times to test the changer, seems like the wire harnes began to develope an intermittant connection. I would plug in the changer and there would be no power to it (no lights) but if I pulled out the harness just a little bit, the lights would power up. So I opened up the wire harness, an pulled the wires out. I noted all positions, but when putting wires back in, I'm pretty sure I mixed one wire up. Not totally sure, but I think I put the 1 wire in the 14 wire spot. Think the 14 was supposed to be empty.

Anyhow, I started the car, and tried to turn on the radio with the above described wire mix up, and the radio would not turn on. I removed the changer, and the radio would still not power up. I checked the fuses, and they were fine, and passing current. Other devices that are on the same circut are working fine (power mirrors).

My question then was, are there any other fuses I don't know about. 1 in the engine fuse box, 1 in the kick panel fuse box?

Without a clear answer, I pulled the amp, hoping I could test it to see if it is fried, but have been unable to figure out a way to test it.

I tried one of the tricks I read abou here, I bridged what I think was the remote amp on to a ground or some such thing, can't quite remember, and got the antenna to go up, but if I unbridged it, the antena would immediately go down.

My 3 main questions:

1. fuses

2. head unit fried, how test?

3. amp fried, how test?

Sorry for the long windedness, just wanted to tell you all the symptoms, doc. What do you think?

i just replaced my headunit with the stock one, and i to can power it on and listen to tapes but only get static on the radio stations and thecd cahnger wont turn on either. Also i have alot of static distortion when the volume is tuned low.

Anyone know how to fix this??

dc fish, nice avatar -

okay, so radio would power up fine, could listen to radio and tapes, but nothing would happen if you hit the cd button. But in the trunk, the cd player would power up, but wouldn't accept the magazine. Thought it was a minor mechanical problem. Pulled the changer, opened it up, found a leaf and a twig in there, that must have fallen in while the trunk was open. Made some mechanical fixes, a couple of platic pieces that snapped (there was some very low tolerance engineering in there).

While pluging and unpluging the cd changer serveral times to test the changer, seems like the wire harnes began to develope an intermittant connection. I would plug in the changer and there would be no power to it (no lights) but if I pulled out the harness just a little bit, the lights would power up. So I opened up the wire harness, an pulled the wires out. I noted all positions, but when putting wires back in, I'm pretty sure I mixed one wire up. Not totally sure, but I think I put the 1 wire in the 14 wire spot. Think the 14 was supposed to be empty.

Anyhow, I started the car, and tried to turn on the radio with the above described wire mix up, and the radio would not turn on. I removed the changer, and the radio would still not power up. I checked the fuses, and they were fine, and passing current. Other devices that are on the same circut are working fine (power mirrors).

My question then was, are there any other fuses I don't know about. 1 in the engine fuse box, 1 in the kick panel fuse box?

Without a clear answer, I pulled the amp, hoping I could test it to see if it is fried, but have been unable to figure out a way to test it.

I tried one of the tricks I read abou here, I bridged what I think was the remote amp on to a ground or some such thing, can't quite remember, and got the antenna to go up, but if I unbridged it, the antena would immediately go down.

My 3 main questions:

1. fuses

2. head unit fried, how test?

3. amp fried, how test?

Sorry for the long windedness, just wanted to tell you all the symptoms, doc. What do you think?

escee, I take it that you have the 12 disc panasonic changer correct ? [ nakamichi systems use a panasonic changer ] If that is the case the changer is probably shot they are not worth repairing . What SC owners are doing to replace the changer is putting in a 6 disc from a 96 ES300 but you will need the correct mounting brackets and carpeted cover for the new install. Double check the wires on the harness to make sure there is contact from the wires to the pins. If you want details on the 6 disc changer email me.

Well changer is dead for sure.

My question though is the amp fried, or the HU fried.

Doesn't help me to drop the 6 disc changer in there, if I have no amp or HU.

99.9% sure that it is the changer , If you have the nak system the changer is the culpret.

99.9% sure that it is the changer , If you have the nak system the changer is the culpret.

Just by chance do you think the amp ever got wet ? The drain tube in the quarter panel sometimes gets clogged or crimped and backs up and soaks the amp or there may be a leak in the trunk seal [ carwashes , rain , etc...]

Just by chance do you think the amp ever got wet ? The drain tube in the quarter panel sometimes gets clogged or crimped and backs up and soaks the amp or there may be a leak in the trunk seal [ carwashes , rain , etc...]

Have you tried putting the #1wire back in the #1 spot in the connector?

Yo DC,

Hey, the radio, and tape worked with and without the cd player attached. It only stopped after I noticed the intermittant connection problem, and switched those wires.

Yes, I plugged the wires back into their appropriate spots. And NO DICE.

The lex really is a quiet car.

I can tell cause I don't got no STEREO!

Have you checked the wiring harness that you took apart ? Maybe a break in a wire ? Are you sure that you put the wires back in there original position ?

You're just messing with me now.

I,m sorry you feel that way, I was trying to help, Why don't you get the headunit and amp tested first to make sure that they are functional and then we'll pick it up from there. ;)

just bring them to a stereo shop or pawn shop and they should be able to tell you if they work or not.

Also anyone know how to fix static in the speakers and a semi loss of volume, a friend of mine has the same car with the same stereo and his pumps much louder than mine does. Could the static in the speakers and loss of volume be from a fried amp????

Thanks

just bring them to a stereo shop or pawn shop and they should be able to tell you if they work or not.

Also anyone know how to fix static in the speakers and a semi loss of volume, a friend of mine has the same car with the same stereo and his pumps much louder than mine does. Could the static in the speakers and loss of volume be from a fried amp????

Thanks

Sounds like an amp problem . If you need one I have one.

A stereo shop is going to be able to tell me if the amp works? Sounds a little far out. I think there are like 2 or 3 jacks on the amp, the biggest having 14 pins. How are they supposed to know what is going on?

Think I could bring this stuff into a Lexus dealer and they could test it out? If so, should I sell a kiddney first? I've still got the left one.

Yo, I've disected many amps in my day. Here's the formula, power in. Signal in. Speaker out. Thats like 5 lines. This amp has at least 20 lines.

I might be wrong, but was thinking that someone who knew the amp would have to diag the thing.