Been Bitten By The Trade-up Bug Today!

steviej

My car is in the shop to figure out a new rattle subsequent to the moonroof gasket TSB (but that is another story). They gave me a loaner for the weekend, an '04 RX330.

I absolutely love this thing. I don't know what else to say. The ride is nice (not as nice as the ES) but every creature comfort is there plus a few more. The engine is nice and the pick up is quick. The delay in shifting that so many have complained about is no where near what I can attain with my ES.

I especially like being able to look down on people and the AWD feature is attractive. I am kinda obsessed with it right now.

I don't know, maybe it is just new to me, I come from a family of trucks and off road so maybe my heart wants one.

When I go in tomorrow, maybe I will talk pricing and see if they can put me in an 04 for what I'm paying now on my ES.

I hate having an obsession.

steviej

I absolutely love this thing. I don't know what else to say. The ride is nice (not as nice as the ES)  I am kinda obsessed with it right now.

Hmmm...I had exactly an opposite experience. My friend and I drove to Lexus of Reno in my 1991 LS400 to test drive a new 2004 RX330. Right off the bat we both noticed the RX330 didn't

have the same ultra smooth, quiet ride of my antique LS400. The interior appointments

of the RX330 did not look and feel as rich as the LS400 either. Overall the RX330 felt more like a slightly dressed up Toyota Highlander than an exceptionally refined and appointed luxury car.

We left the dealership with a new appreciation for my old LS400!

I really like the RX330s too steve, I always ask for one when mine goes in for service. I'd love to have one and could drive it happily every day.

That said though, I'm always pleased with my ES when I got back into it. The RX is nice, but the ride of the ES is nice too ;)

Before you talk pricing take a spin around the block in your ES.

steviej, I have exactly the same feelings on the '04 RX when I had one as a loaner. I think in maybe a year or two, you will see the prices of all pre-owned/certified '04 RX330's drop to probably an affordable range for most out there.

On the other hand, I'm very interested in seeing the '06 RX400-h (hybrid version of the RX) in the showrooms next year :D

I really like the RX330s too steve, I always ask for one when mine goes in for service. I'd love to have one and could drive it happily every day.

I always do the same by asking for an RX service loaner. I can't wait to get a hold of one I can call my own.

In the end Steviej, go by what your 'gut' feeling tells you & try to overcome the urge your brain vs. your heart! :whistles: ;) I say if it's in the budget, someone is going to be spending more time in the RX forums in the LOC & CL. :whistles: B) ;) The RX is a very horny vehicle.

:cheers:

all of you have been extremely helpful in letting me know that I am not alone in my recent feelings towards a new car.

thank you.

i did just that, got in my car and rode home and then to the airport and then north of Boston and then home and then on some back country roads and the rattle/buzz/vibration was gone and the car felt like a new one. The ride is definately smoother but we are comparing apples to oranges (car vs truck) and that is an expected difference.

the money thing is simple, what do i want today and what do i want in six years.

i really should be making my money work for me and making uncle sam work for me rather than spending any excess money in my budget on something that does not increase in value and depreciates immediatley when driven off the lot. All of you have valid comments and have helped in my decision.

now..................neptune blue or dark green?

just kidding.

steviej

all of you have been extremely helpful in letting me know that I am not alone in my recent feelings towards a new car.

thank you.

i did just that, got in my car and rode home and then to the airport and then north of Boston and then home and then on some back country roads and the rattle/buzz/vibration was gone and the car felt like a new one.  The ride is definately smoother but we are comparing apples to oranges (car vs truck) and that is an expected difference.

the money thing is simple, what do i want today and what do i want in six years.

i really should be making my money work for me and making uncle sam work for me rather than spending any excess money in my budget on something that does not increase in value and depreciates immediatley when driven off the lot.  All of you have valid comments and have helped in my decision.

now..................neptune blue or dark green?

just kidding.

steviej

I don't know.........that Neptune blue would look mighty sharp at the Canadian Lexus meet in the spring! & a little Blue Jay told me it would look good on ya! :whistles: ;)

decidedc to put my extra money towards a house or a condo.

the rattle was more like the sound of a mosquito or flies wings. very high rate oscilation sound coming from just above the grab handle by my left ear.

I assumed it was due to the TSB work cause the service writer said the headliner is lowered and then the glass is taken out.

Turns out the headliner never gets touched and the glass is a piece of cake to remove. The headliner is attached with two screws at the grad handles and two at the dome light. In various places it is held by velcro. THe head diagnostician (i love that term) said many times the velcro can come unstickied/unattatched and cause such a noice depending on the road condition.

They took the car in, lowered part of the headliner and resecured it in the area of the offending noise.

it is super quiet now. With the buzz noise gone and the new moon roof gasket....It is like a brand new car again. Even the Dunlop A2s seem quieter now that extra creaks and buzzes are gone.

good luck with yours Steve.

Turns out the rubber used on the 02/03 moonroof dried out wicked prematurely. The new gasket is supposed to stay supple for a long long time.

steviej

I'm a little nervous...

Mine's going in for a whole lot of work, the moonroof TSB, the windshield cowl TSB (thats a clicky rattle too) the catalytic converter TSB, I've got a belt slipping at startup and they're going to investigate the clunk in the steering at low speed PLUS the ordinary maint.

Letting the dealership loose on it always makes me nervous.

Hey Steve,

Good to see you have made your choice! B) For what it's worth, I found this article on today's (from Dec 10th, 04) Car & Driver Website about the RX. Not trying convince you to change your mind again......just thought you would be intrested is all. ;)

Deals Abound on Luxury Cars

The Daily Auto Insider

Friday, December 10, 2004

December 2004

General Motors isn't the only automaker piling on the incentives, many high-buck brands are also offering discounts, the Wall Street Journal reported.

Among them are:

Mercedes-Benz, which has discounted lease deals on its three main product lines, the compact C-class, the E-class and the top-dollar S-class.

Ford's Jaguar and Toyota's Lexus are offering discounted financing or dealer cash on many models as well, including the popular Lexus RX330 crossover sport-utility and the Jaguar XK8.

BMW is promoting end-of-the-year lease discounts on many of its models.

The end-of-year sales push, and the return of generous lease deals, are signs of the intense competition in the U.S. market, the WSJ noted.

I'm a little nervous...

Mine's going in for a whole lot of work, the moonroof TSB, the windshield cowl TSB (thats a clicky rattle too) the catalytic converter TSB, I've got a belt slipping at startup and they're going to investigate the clunk in the steering at low speed PLUS the ordinary maint.

Letting the dealership loose on it always makes me nervous.

funny, i don't have the windshield cowl rattle (inside or outside?). At least I don't think I do. What is that one?

I guess they would want to smell sulfur in the exhaust before they allow the cat TSB....don't have the sulfur smell either.

The belt slipping is the PS belt. Had them replaced at 30k and it still makes noise at temps less than 3o degrees. I think the PS belt could be tighter, I just haven't had time to do it.

Don't got a cluck in the steering either....what and where is that happening?

steviej

The windshield cowl is a slight ticking coming from the base of the windshield when cold, they replace the entire plastic cowl with an upgraded unit.

The steering clunk comes at low speeds in parking garages and such, it feels sort of like theres something loose in the steering rack. There've been some posts about it and someone had their secondary steering shaft replaced and it solved the problem. Mine has done it since new.

They replaced the belts in mine too because of a slight squeal at idle but this is much louder, a definite slip. It can be heard in the house when I start the car enough to have people inquire as to: "What the hell is wrong with your car?"...

Its the black plastic pan at the bottom of the windshield, on the outside where the air intake is, where the wipers pop up out of.

Steve, did they change this strip yet on your, car and if they did, do they do a good job? I occasionally hear this noise, but I want to make sure they don't screw it up.