Batteries

On my '94 ES I used a Sears Die Hard Gold. I got 6 years of good service out of it and replaced it with another one. Since it had a 7 year warranty Sears pro-rated the warranty so I got a good deal on the new battery. They checked out the old battery on an electronic battery tester and it failed so they replaced it.

Alan

The longevity of the Panasonic batteries that Toyota puts in their cars to me, are questionable. The Racecraft battery that I got from Strauss Auto performs well. Me and this girl would be chillen at the front of her apartment and we would be in the car from 12-3am. So, I have the stereo on for 3hrs, adjusting the power seats numerous times, girl uses the light in the vanity mirror, hitting the horn a couple of times :whistles: and after all that power draining, the car starts without a problem. I've had bad experiences with the Panasonic battery; 1hr of stereo usage in the Previa and the car doesn't start. It could be because the thing was 6yrs old? The Panasonic battery in my 98 ES lasted 4 years! In my uncle's 99 GS, 3 years! Actually we got our cars at about the same time from the Lexus dealership and it was interesting how both our batteries died at about the same time. Those used cars are outside the lot not being run for who knows how long so maybe the batteries were affected in some way. The salesperson at Strauss said Racecraft was the best brand they carry and a year later I'm still satisfied. :P

i have really off the hook piece of dirt cheap crap battery thats soo small i could palm it in my hand.... yet surpirzingly i get hours of stereo and leaving my lights on alllll the time..... and being able to start right away....

a great car when it comes to power consumption

- neil

You can't go wrong with a DieHard, especially the warranty.

I run the marine type in my boat (2 of them) and had a DieHard Gold in my old car before this.

I have no experience with the OEM Panasonic other than what I have now, but we will see how long it lasts.

Optima seems to be the way to go, especially for the deep cycling and individual casings for each cell. That seems good, especially if you get wacked at the battery, you may not lose all six cells, etc.

Interstate are dependable.

STAY AWAY FROM EXCEL Batteries. I have heard nothing but horror stories and everyone I have had to jump had Excels.

steviej

i have to agree with stevie as usual :lol:

the interstates seem to be very good

and interstate i think now owns optima or atleast distributes them

the yellow top optima seems to be the best and last a while

costco over here has them pretty cheap for what it is i think 220 canadian

just make sure you get one that fits the battery pan properly

i got one from toyota

and it was too small (size wise , not amperage)i found out after

whith there cross reference chart

cca ( cold cranking amps) is the main thing to look at

all battery have a listing on them

In a previous post I mentioned that I replaced the OEM battery with a Sears Die-Hard Gold which gave me excellent service for 6 years and it cost me under $80 bucks. It fit the battery carrier perfectly! If you choose to get an Optima battery you'll probably have to modify the battery carrier 'cause physically this battery is smaller. Also, you'll probably spend about $50 bucks more for it!!! Just a thought. ;)

Alan

• 1 month later...

As a side question in replacing batteries, especially for a '98. Does the radio need a security code to re-activate after power has been cut-off? Other vehicles I have have this feature, but I can't find this in the manuals and I have no security code. I am hoping that it doesn't have a code otherwise, I will have to get it from the dealer.

check your alarm system if you have one. That may need to be reset.

i have heard of people that hook up the new one and then disconnect the old so they don't loose any settings. I am still trying to figure if they use a jump box or jumper cables and then how do they connect the posts, something at one time has to be disconnected unless the batteries have dual terminals.

steviej

Thats a good idea. I have read that the stock radio probably won't have a code, but it is possible to be set with a code, so constantly supplying power would bypass that. I guess that is why it says anti-theft deterent where the tape goes. Someone must have changed out the battery on their ES and know wether or not a code for the radio was needed? Anyone want to share their thoughts on this?