Sc400 Vs. Soarer

Vector

Some people aren't tied up in the americanism mentality that a main stream car company can't build nice cars. That's why GM has well over 10 different name plates to sell cars, it's why Toyota rebadged their higher end models to trick americans into buying them.

I won't go to the trouble of getting soarer badges for my car, but I don't get off on driving a lex over a toyota either. I'm a toyota guy, and I would easily pay a lot for a MKIV Supra, would I not be proud of the Toyota name at that point? :D

Aaron

You own a toyota.

Any bit of denial in this fact by trying to cover it up with a gold nameplate that sounds cooler than "toyota" stems from trying to cover other short comings in your life. Don't be insecure.

I own, drive, and love my little toyota SC400 and Im damn proud to own the worlds most dependable cars on the planet. Every single inch of that car ..... every part,...... is stamped toyota on everything.

Owning a toyota with a badge on it that says "LEXUS" doesn't make your pants grow bigger if that's what you're waiting on. Though, i'm full of hope..... everyone could use an extra toilet snake.

Side note: FYI- The "toyota" Soarer is nicer than your "Lexus" SC :) Navi and digital air ride suspension is a good thing. ;)... and $25,000 more expensive too. This is an unfortunate fact for "Lexus" owners, their car is inferior to the Sister Toyota Soarer.

Yeah,

The UZZ32 Toyata Soarer has LOTS of fun things we can't get on an SC:

- Full Hydrallic Active Suspension

- 4 Wheel Steering

- Navigation System

- Rear Parking Assist Camera

Plus there is a 2.5L TT version of the Soarer that (like all turbo cars) is capible of making insane amounts of HP with few mods.

So while it is fun to say "I drive a Lexus..." the SC is Trumped by the top of the line TOYOTA.

In 1996 to get a full option soarer in america it would have cost over 86000 with the exchange rate. The SCs are really base model Soarers when you think about it. Also, would you really have bought a SC with a 2.5l inline 6 engine on a car that big? Most americans wouldnt consider the fact that its twin turbo and makes more power than the V8, they just see the 2.5l and walk away. V8s are few and far inbetween in japan since they partially base road tax on engines.

I was actually having this other discussion on a local forum with a guy that wanted to convert his car to RHD. Some of the main points that were brought up were the blind-spots, daily usage(drive-thru windows), insurance, and a few others. I think for saftey's sake i would drive on whatever side is dominant in that country

I think I'd do one of two things, if anything. Go full bore and get all the badges that came on the Soarer 4.0 GT, including the rim centre caps, intake manifold, steering whell, etc.

Or I might just shave the badges all together. It's already such a clean looking car, with shaved badges it'd be that much more 'stealth'... :ph34r:

Aaron