Had To Replace My Windshield Today.

steviej

Last week I caught a rock dead square on the windshield, down low though.

Had a nice sized round chip with a 1/4" crack.

Called my service manager to find out who they outsource their glass replacements to. Turns out it is 20 minutes from my house. Brought it there at 8am this morning. Had breakfast at this awesome country kitchen restaurant next door and by 9am it was done.

You wouldn't even know it was replaced. They do all the glass for my dealership so my windshield was in their stock.

Mirror,rain sensor and inspection sticker didn't even look like they were moved.

Total cost for windshield, 2eggs scrambled, 2 french toast, 2 sausage coffee, OJ and tip = $12.00.

Life is good. B)

steviej

Steve, great to hear everything went well w/out a hitch for the windshield replacement, and that you replace it with OEM :D

For those who are wondering, most of the auto insurance companies in the NE offer comprehensive coverage for a $XXX deductible and $0 for full glass replacement. When this is utilized to replace the windshield, it is essentially no charge to the customer, but it is usually up to the insurance adjuster to determine where to have the glass replaced. If the customer politely demands to have it done at the dealership (preferably for quality purposes), the insurance company will listen, most of the time, but we are all aware of the stereotype of auto insurance companies in the U.S. trying to find the "cheap" way out :rolleyes:

Are you sure they replaced the windshield, and didn't just repair it? I know in Pennsylvania, that if a windshield is replaced, the car must be re-inspected, because the sticker went out with the old windshield. I don't see how they can remove a sticker and place it on another windshield.

Some states will re-issue inspection stickers when windshields are replaced without doing an inspection again. Gladly Maryland doesn't require inspections except before sale.

I need to have mine done too but I'm really dragging my feet. Have a small chip in the center. Glad to hear they replaced it well!

If it were repaired he'd be able to tell, repairs aren't 100% perfect.

are we a bunch of skeptics or what???!!!!

glass is fully covered with no deductable on my policy. As a matter of fact in MA you are allowed up to 1 free windshield each year. I need only make a phone call and tell them where I am going or the place I choose will make the call. No inspector was needed for this one, at least while I was there. He may come look at the removed windshield, I don't know about that since I am done and gone by then.

yes it was totally replaced with OEM. I saw the new one on the cradle when I pulled in the garage and I saw the old one when I pulled out. The new windshield even comes with a new top trim piece to make it look so so so good and professional.

The new one says Lexus on it, but I was told it is made by a company called Pinkerton or Plinkerton. I believe this company make most of the auto glass in the US.

sk, I don't understand you second question. What waves from a side profile?

As for repairing the chip, it would be sanded in a circular area around the chip and that circle would be slightly blurry when complete. Like SW03ES said, you can tell.

The inspection sticker is exactly that, a replacement sticker. BUT, it expires this month anyway. I was informed of this at the window place. I told them first things first, may not get the new sticker without fixing the windshield, so I fix the windshield first then go get the sticker.

steviej

PS, SW03ES, call your service manager and find out who they outsource to and go there. I was very fearful/anxious/nervous too. In the end, all for no reason. It has been non stop raining here (thank you Frances) and not a bit of leaking and the wiper senor works fine.

If it is oem quality then their is nothing to notice or worry about.

On most aftermarket replacments i have seen.If you look from the side of the car really close along the window you can see the glass get wavy if not made perfectly or properly.Such as looking from A pillar to A pillar.

I have the same $0 deductible on my glass as well and as much as I drive it has paid off. I have average 1.25 windshields per year over the last 4 years. I'm glad to hear that it went well.

I had a horror story last year when I had the windshield on my Benz replaced. The glass company sent some rookie and it took him 6 hours to get the new windshield in place. He scratched my VIN plate so that the VIN is unrecognizable, put a small scratch on my roof, and left small glass shards all over the inside of my car. When I started it for the 1st time after replacement and the A/C kicked in, I had small glass shards blowing at my face from out of the air vents (fortunately I had my sunglasses on and nothing went onto my eye).

• 1 year later...

glass is fully covered with no deductable on my policy. As a matter of fact in MA you are allowed up to 1 free windshield each year. I need only make a phone call and tell them where I am going or the place I choose will make the call. No inspector was needed for this one, at least while I was there. He may come look at the removed windshield, I don't know about that since I am done and gone by then.

yes it was totally replaced with OEM. I saw the new one on the cradle when I pulled in the garage and I saw the old one when I pulled out. The new windshield even comes with a new top trim piece to make it look so so so good and professional.

The new one says Lexus on it, but I was told it is made by a company called Pinkerton or Plinkerton. I believe this company make most of the auto glass in the US.

sk, I don't understand you second question. What waves from a side profile?

I also live in MA and needed a new windshield. Mine got scratched by get this.........a piece of ice on the wiper blade, it made a perfect arc. 30 years of driving in snow and ice and it had to happen on my 3 month old 2005 ES330.

So I called around and after speaking with several glass companies they all refused to do business with my insurance company. I was going to call my Lexus dealer but I figured they out source it anyway. Safelite was the only company that would take my insurance. By the way the guy who installed it made sure I got the "Premium" windshield, not the cheaper one. This also said made by Pinkerton or Plinkerton. Looks 100% original. The day after it was installed we had rain and wind. Perfectly dry, no leaks. He put the mirror, rain senser and inspection sticker back on. I'm very happy with the out come. I also replaced the wipers.

I also live in MA and needed a new windshield. Mine got scratched by get this.........a piece of ice on the wiper blade, it made a perfect arc. 30 years of driving in snow and ice and it had to happen on my 3 month old 2005 ES330.

So I called around and after speaking with several glass companies they all refused to do business with my insurance company. I was going to call my Lexus dealer but I figured they out source it anyway. Safelite was the only company that would take my insurance. By the way the guy who installed it made sure I got the "Premium" windshield, not the cheaper one. This also said made by Pinkerton or Plinkerton. Looks 100% original. The day after it was installed we had rain and wind. Perfectly dry, no leaks. He put the mirror, rain senser and inspection sticker back on. I'm very happy with the out come. I also replaced the wipers.

Not sure what insurance company that you have...but that is a bad sign if several glass companies would not do business with your insurance company...which company was it ??? You may have the same problem with your insurance company paying you if you have an accident???

Not sure what insurance company that you have...but that is a bad sign if several glass companies would not do business with your insurance company...which company was it ??? You may have the same problem with your insurance company paying you if you have an accident???

No problems with accident claims as I had a minor fender-bender last year in my old car and they paid me 7 days later. I can't same the name as I use to work for them and they send me a nice check in the mail every month (retired/disabled). :censored:

Hello,

I am sorry, but I have to ask you a question. Are you satisfied after changing your windsheild? For example, are there wind noises or water leaks or any problems?

Thanks,

No problems at all. I just took it to a power car wash and everything is fine. No wind noises either.

Hope this helps.