How Long Should A Battery Last?

TexasLexus94

I just replaced my 94 LS400 battery at 104,500 miles. Wouldn't take a recharge. No problem, it's about the easiest and cheapest maintenance item, after light bulbs, on a Lexus. But then I noticed something:

I went to the history print-out I received on the car (I bought it with 99,000 miles), and found the following:

"Car towed in-Replaced battery 09/19/02-Failed load test. 88,660 miles".

Then it said:

"Battery had been replaced 11/06/01" !!!!

I don't know the mileage on the 11/06/01 changeout-the print-out didn't go that far back. So I have 2 questions-

1. Why would the car need 3 batteries in under 4 years? Is this typical of a high dollar car? I also had to replace my Honda battery at 2 years, so am I just an unlucky guy?

2. Why didn't the dealer give me a complete history? Should I go back, and demand the complete history-or do they only give a partial history? The dealer is 40 miles away, in the middle of the city, so it's a big deal to go back. But I think I should, if we think the dealer is playing games.

Thanks for your help.

You haven't said what type of battery was in the car and that makes a difference. A standard, run of the mill battery usually goes 3 years easy enough and I have had some Delco's last me for over 5 years. The new cars run a lot hotter under the hood than the cars of years ago and heat is hard on the battery. Do you still have the cooling air shroud/ducting around your battery? That can be making a difference if someone installed a battery that didn't fit the cooling air shroud and threw it away. You will find some cars have the battery relocated from under the hood and have placed them in the trunk or under the rear seat. Make sure your alternator is up to snuff and then get yourself a good quality battery and you should be ok for several years.

was the steering pump leak ever fixed as tehy all do that?

if the pump aws fixed but the alternator wasn;t then it is not going to be a perfect charge which will help a battery to be strained and fail early.

If they are excide made batteries you would probably not get more than 2 years out of them I always inquire as to the manufacturer before purchasing as excide makes batteries under numerous names. I aggree with the previous post stick with ACDElco or interstate.

What is a "cooling air shroud around the battery"? As far as I can see, my battery just sits in a pan near the radiator. The only cover piece near it is that flat plastic piece that continues the cover over the radiator. Am I missing something?

All I know is that Lexus replaced 2 of the batteries that failed-The last one was a Toyota battery. I bought an Everlast-$50-at Autozone this time-If it lasts 2 years, I'll be happy....

The battery itself is enclosed by a plastic cover that has an opening on top that connects to the ram air scoop near the battery. Supposedly this will give you some ram air flow around the battery and since this is outside air it will be cooler than the ambient hot air inside the engine compartment, it will help cool the battery some and protect it somewhat from the underhood temps. Perhaps the cooling shroud didn't fit one of the replacement batteries and someone just threw it away. See the attached pic for a picture of my battery installation.

post-4-1093817636.jpg

No matter what battery you buy it will not last forever. They usually last longer than the warranty stated on the battery though; usually this is 2 years at the minimum. Even a cheap Wal-Mart battery will last 2 years! I went with a Die Hard Gold when I needed to replace mine. I need lot's of cold cranking amps here in Minnesota :lol:

Thanks for the picture of the cooling shroud, obergc. I sure don't have one around my battery. Kinda' wish I did, since it gets so hot in Houston. I've noticed that my garage gets incredibly hot in the summertime when I return home after a drive-I leave the garage door open for a couple of hours sometimes. Price we pay for owning a behemoth, I guess...

Batterys: In days of old we used to buy a Sears Die Hard. We'd keep the Die Hard when we sold the car and put it in the next car. That was then.

Today I find batterys go about 2 years regardless of what brand I have tried or spending the extra for the 5 year batterys. So now I buy all batterys at Walmart. The cheapest they have. They last as long as any and Walmarts are everywhere if one should fail "in the warranty" period. 'Course they don't. They fail just after.

Another thing I have noticed with todays batterys is they seem to go out suddenly. Used to get kinda a warning that the battery was getting weak as in slower cranking. Today they go out like a light.

One exception to all this has been the gel battery Optima. I have used them in race cars and drag boats but never in a daily driven vehicle. I know of 3 that are over 5 years old and not a problem. But they are about $150.

I had to replace the battery on my 90 LS four times (exactly every three years when it showed signs of failure) before I finally sold it last year after 13 1/2 years. It didn't seem to matter if I bought an expensive (OEM) or cheap (Interstate brand) battery. They all lasted three years. My 2000 LS still has its original battery and it had its fourth birthday a few days ago - I've got to wonder if if should go ahead and replace it before winter instead of waiting for it to fail. But I'll probably wait until it shows signs of failure just to see if there has been an improvement in the LS electrical system.

It seems that it doesn't matter if you live in a cold place-like Kansas-or a brutally hot place like Houston. The batteries just don't last. Come to think of it, it also gets very hot in Kansas-I have a Bud from there who says it can get over 100 easy.

I remember the time I went to Northern Maine for Christmas, and there were seven cars parked outside the in-laws house. Dropped to 30 below, and only one car would start in the morning. Not mine, for sure.

My mom's '92 LS400 goes through batteries like a frat house goes through beer. That car needs a new battery about every two years. Has been this way since new. There is something about this particular model that kills batteries. By comparison, my '96 F150 bought in November of '95 is still on the original Motorcraft battery. It has been fully discharged 3 times. My '70 Buick GS455 needs a diode to keep the aftermarket ignition (full of capacitors) from drinking the battery dead when the car sits for a while. There is actually feedback through the electrical system that can only be stopped with a diode. The car will actually run with the ignition shut off without the diode. My point here is that there is some system in the LS400 that drains the battery while the car sleeps. Eventually it kills the battery to the point where it won't take a charge.

I think you are exactly right, Bad B. Lexi love to eat the battery dead. Since it's such a cheap remedy, I guess we should consider it as a minor irritant. As opposed to the cost of power steering and other major repairs.

Funny thing today; I was walking through a super market parking lot, and a couple was trying to start their ancient battered Ford van, but all it did was the "click-click" noise that might indicate a dead battery. Or a bad starter. So I went over, and asked them if I could give them a jump. The guy looked at me like I was trouble, and snarled "It's a problem with the ignition, not the battery". So I said "Have a great day".

So I drove off in my pretty Lexus. With the new battery. Hope he solved his problem. I solved mine.