Stuck In Park

lctothe3

My brother has a 1992 LS. He now has to use the emergency release to get it out of park. He says it must be his daughter's fault, it was working fine before she drove it. I say that there is a switch, probably around the brake pedal that has gone bad. Does anyone know where the switch is that releases the gear shift out of park when you step on the brake. Any instructions, diagrams, or pictures would be appreciated

The switch is down on the brake pedal mechanism. It could easily be that. It also may have gotten unplugged by accident.

Also it could be a bad solenoid in the center console.

These are both easy to check.

Do you hear any "click" (in the center concole) at all when you press the brake pedal?

Tom

Thanks for the quick reply! There is no click in the center console when the brake pedal is pressed. We swill look for the two switches, either the brake pedal, or the console. I know there is also a brake light switch around the pedal. Are the switches hard to recognize?

I have a 90 Ls400 that had that problem; I caught mine while it was intermittent. The easiest way to figure out if it's the switch at the brake is, if you depress the brake you get two symptoms simultaneously.

1. Can't get it out of park (except with emergency release)

2. The brake lights don’t turn on when you depress the brakes.

If you get both symptoms at the same time, swap out the switch by the brake.

The switch controls the brake lights and the solenoid in the center console. It’s easy to find it just follow the brake up and you'll run right into it. Bought my at AutoZone but the Lexus dealer should also have it.

If the brake lights do work and you can't get it out of park, then I would trouble shoot the Solenoid in the center console.

Tote

I AM THE BROTHER WITH THE NEW GRAND BABY AND THE STUCK SHIFTER. I CHECKED MY BRAKES AND THERE WERE NO LIGHTS! DO YOU KNOW THE PROPER NAME FOR THE SWITCH THAT CONTROLS THE SHIFTER AND THE BRAKE LIGHTS? DO YOU BY CHANCE HAVE A PART NUMBER FROM AUTOZONE?

Congratulations on your grand baby! Nothing is better than a new addition to the family.

I believe the part is a brake light switch. I changed mine out about a year ago, and am not too sure. I do remember going to AutoZone and explaining the symptom and the part I wanted. They figured it out quickly. I also recall they ordered it and I had to pick it up the next day. You might want to check different auto parts for availability.

Good luck and try not to spoil your grandchild too much :)

Tote

Problem solved. He replaced the stoplight switch and it didn't help. He finally took it to a dealer and they found some wires had shorted, maybe from a previous car phone installation? Cost him $100 bucks, but all is now working. Thanks to everyone for their help on this.

• 2 years later...

I have a 90 Ls400 that had that problem; I caught mine while it was intermittent. The easiest way to figure out if it's the switch at the brake is, if you depress the brake you get two symptoms simultaneously.

1. Can't get it out of park (except with emergency release)

2. The brake lights don’t turn on when you depress the brakes.

If you get both symptoms at the same time, swap out the switch by the brake.

The switch controls the brake lights and the solenoid in the center console. It’s easy to find it just follow the brake up and you'll run right into it. Bought my at AutoZone but the Lexus dealer should also have it.

If the brake lights do work and you can't get it out of park, then I would trouble shoot the Solenoid in the center console.

Tote

I have no brakes lights and can't shift out of park, I just put in a brand new brake switch from the dealer and still have the same problem. I read that the solenoid under the center console doesn't have anything to do with the brake lights, so what should I try next?

I know exactly what is wrong because sometimes mine does that... Dont force it.. THe problem is that your steering wheel isnt turned correctly.. Gently turn the wheel from right to left and gently try to shift as you are doing it.. It will magically go out of drive

I had similar problem (the car wouldn't shift) and it was a fuse. I was doing retinting some 3 years ago and those idiots kept it all day with doors open. Of course they drained the battery (it was about 5 yo) So they decided to jump start without knowing which way jumper cables go....the good side of the story - I got a brand new battery from them and a fuse:D