Tinting Suggestions

92Lex

I'm going to get my windows tinted tomorrow but cant decide on which color to go with. My car is black and I cant decide on black tint or bi-metallic tint. Any suggestions? BTW bi-metallic is like a charcoal colored tint that looks kind of reflective from some angles.

black of course! LS is not that kind of that will look good with metallic spray on windows.i have mine tinted with 20% film and it looks awesome and scary:)

hey VMF, with the 20% tint can you see into the car or see who's inside of the car from outside during the daytime? I need something where I wouldnt really be visible if someone were to look in. Im thinking about going with 14%...Im definitely going to go with the black though. Thanks.

Get charcoal tint & get the 20% (medium) tint on all windows.....keep it one colour & the car will look sharp! Good Luck! Post some pics after you get it tinted! B)

BTW, you can get a charcoal tint that is not reflective....just make sure it's a high quality "metalized" tint for scratch resistence & duribility.

:cheers:

if you don't want anyone to see in the car you are gonna have to go with 10% or below.....

although highly illegal, i don't know how strict your state is about that (AR isn't very strict), no one will be able to see in even in broad daylight, if you really want the car dark you can tint the front windshield 50% as well........then NO ONE can see in, even if you put your hands up to the the window.

i've had all of my cars execpt the LS tinted 5% and i loved it.........just didn't do the LS because i didn't think it would look right, with the color and all.

its just all preference.......good luck

i have light interior so you can see the shape of a person. i would to make it darker but it would be illegal. in fact even 20% is already illegal in many states.

if i had limo tint (its 5%) here in tristate area i would be pulled over by every cop. its like a red fabric for the bull. my friend here got 5 tickets for all 5 windows and each was 50$:(

I think it's still illegal to have your driver and passenger windows tinted in California. That's what an installer in Lancaster told me in 2001. He said that he would tint these windows for me, but said that he recommended only a very light tint, so the cops wouldn't take notice. He also said that in 10 years of tinting windows, he only had 3 people ask to have it removed, because they got a ticket.

So the darker the tint, the more it might get noticed. I saw a California SUV the other day with rear seat and back windows darkly tinted, and the other windows untinted, and the SUV looked awful. Guess this is a good example of over-regulation, which California is famous for....

California only allow the back 3 windows to be tinted with tint @ 35%+. I already made an appointment to have him tint my car in a couple of hours. Either way 20% is illegal and Im planning to tint all 5 windows so I might as well go with the 15%. Limo tint is just way too dark for me...itd be a b%@$! to drive at night. Thanks for all the feedback.

For grins, I Googled some state window tint laws, and came up with the following:

STATE FRONT

SIDES REAR

SIDES BACK

WINDOW VISOR NET/FILM

AL 32% 32% 32% 6" NET

AK 70% 40% 40% 5" NET

AZ 33% ANY% ANY% AS1 NET

AR 25% 25% 10% 5" NET

CA 70% ANY% ANY% 4" NET

I guess this shows that Alaska is as sunny as California? Curiously, the only other states with the 70% requirement are in the non-sunny Northeast-Ny, Pa, and RI. As I said in my other post, if you want to be over-regulated, move to California.

FreddT Posted on Jul 30 2004, 10:23 AM

I think it's still illegal to have your driver and passenger windows tinted in California. That's what an installer in Lancaster told me in 2001. He said that he would tint these windows for me, but said that he recommended only a very light tint, so the cops wouldn't take notice. He also said that in 10 years of tinting windows, he only had 3 people ask to have it removed, because they got a ticket.

So the darker the tint, the more it might get noticed. I saw a California SUV the other day with rear seat and back windows darkly tinted, and the other windows untinted, and the SUV looked awful. Guess this is a good example of over-regulation, which California is famous for.... 

Yes it is illegal in CA to have your front driver and passenger side windows tinted but being pulled over for only that reason alone all depends on the officers discretion. I have all my windows in the Cobra and the IS tinted and have been pulled over three times in the Cobra and have only recieved one fix-it ticket out of the three, the other two just let me slide. I just payed the 76.00 fine for the one, called it a day, and never had to take my tint off. Rear side windows and the rear window from what i know can be as dark as you like.

My suggestion if you plan on tinting all of your windows and live in CA, be prepared to be a dumbass and roll your front window down if a cop pulls up next to you, even in the winter season. LOL. I highly doubt a cop would really want to pull someone over though only for tint unless he's really in a bad mood, especially since your in a Lexus. Seems to me the real noticeable & loud cars with the young kids driving them are the main culprits who keep getting tagged for them..(ie:my Cobra) Dont know too many ppl who own Mercedes, Lexus', and BMW's being pulled over for that.

Really good advice, Outlaw. I used to roll down my windows in Cal when a cop was near, too. Now I don't even think about it. My only other thought is that, if you're coming back from the Lake, or a party, you really don't want the tint to give the cops a reason to stop you. Even if you're totally legal, they'll be sure to check you out extremo. And you know that their effort expended in stopping you will result in a ticket, even if the tint was the only "violation".

this is what i used to do too, but now they dont really give tickets for this anymore. i'm scared bout my tint only when i'm jersey where they do not allow any tint at all.

My and my cousin driving to Davis, California was pulled over by a cop telling us that the tint in the front window is too dark, he had 25% in the back and 35 in the front, california's laws have changed since 2001? or is it everyone has conflicting info

think it's still illegal to have your driver and passenger windows tinted in California. That's what an installer in Lancaster told me in 2001
I Googled some state window tint laws, and came up with the following:

CA

STATE FRONT 70%

SIDES REAR ANY%

SIDES BACK ANY%

4" NET

?????

GS-

Your 35% is much darker than the 70% requirement, so the cop was right. The lower the number, the darker the tint. 70% of the light is allowed to enter with legal Cal tint-70% is about the same as leaving your windows dirty for a month. Useless. Note that the rear windows can be anything, so your 25% is OK.

92Lex, good luck with your window tint. Post some pics if you can when it's finished. The "limo" tint is a pain for visibility especially in the pitch black of night so just be aware. :)

:cheers:

Take some pics using a digital camera, upload them into your computer. Convert them into JPEG or GIF, Save, go to our Website, Click on Gallery, click on LS400/LS430 Gallery, click on add pictures, browse for the JPEGs or GIFs, and so on.