Midas Lifetime Guarentee

From time to time, I see Midas 'Lifetime Guarantee' ads on TV and wonder.... 'Lifetime brake pads or shoes' means Midas will replace those parts everytime you need brake pads or shoes for free as long as you own your car? Can I ask for any recommendations or warnings from Lexus owners?

(I believe Meineke has the same lifetime guarantee deal with mufflers. Is that a good deal? How long does an OEM muffler last on average?)

The muffler should last probably 15 or more years providing you don't live in a really corrosive environment.

As for the lifetime brakes I was wondering about that too. The question is what kind of pads they use, generally the longer lasting the pad the harder and louder it is...*-

From time to time, I see Midas 'Lifetime Guarantee' ads on TV and wonder.... 'Lifetime brake pads or shoes' means Midas will replace those parts everytime you need brake pads or shoes for free as long as you own your car? Can I ask for any recommendations or warnings from Lexus owners?

(I believe Meineke has the same lifetime guarantee deal with mufflers. Is that a good deal? How long does an OEM muffler last on average?)

I believe if you read the fine print that the only thing the lifetime warranty covers is the brake pads themselves. You'll still pay the labor, shop fees, materials, etc. So, you'll pay $100 the first time and $88 the second time - the brake pads themselves aren't that expensive.

Midas has been around for a long time and will undoubtedly honor whatever their warranty says. Just don't expect it to be quite as good as it sounds after you read the fine print.

The same thing is true of Meineke. I believe the muffer itself si covered, but not the labor.

Add to these things the facts that by the time you need new brakes or muffler, a large percentage of people forgot that they had a lifetime warranty on the old ones. These two things combined make this a very good deal for the vendor and not quite so good (but certainly not bad) for the consumer.

I was told by a mechanic that the cheapest pads are the best. Please pardon my mechanically dumb explanation:

He explained that the way brakes work, the pad and the rotor rub together, thus stopping the car. Pads wear out because it is the weaker of the two materials and is designed to wear down. If pads are guaranteed for life, then it would seem that something else would wear down, presumably the rotor. Basically, lifetime pads will cause problems elsewhere.

I could be wrong. I'll be the first to admit I am car-dumb, but this explanation seemed to make sense to me.

I was told by a mechanic that the cheapest pads are the best. Please pardon my mechanically dumb explanation:

He explained that the way brakes work, the pad and the rotor rub together, thus stopping the car. Pads wear out because it is the weaker of the two materials and is designed to wear down. If pads are guaranteed for life, then it would seem that something else would wear down, presumably the rotor. Basically, lifetime pads will cause problems elsewhere.

I could be wrong. I'll be the first to admit I am car-dumb, but this explanation seemed to make sense to me.

The most important factor to consider (IMHO) is the stopping ability. The car stops by friction. If the lifetime pad lasts longer because there's less friction and abrasion, that would be a bad thing. I don't know if that's the case, but worth considering.

On the other hand, it could go the other way. The lifetime pad might be made to withstand higher temperature which means that it can take _greater_ friction and better stopping power than a cheaper pad. It might cause more rotor wear, though.

It would be interesting to see if there's any data out there.

well- i'm getting my front rotors and pads replaced friday AM. they said the pads are the only thing with the lifetime warranty and will be replaced + labor.

I hate my stealership Lexus Of WESTPORT, CT, I cancelled my pebboys appointment cause they gave me a service rep who was an A$$hole to deal with. All i asked was that the lugs be hand torqued..."why? got custom rims?", and started mouthing off. They lost a customer for life because of that one dumb A$$.

I callesd Midas which is 2 minutes from my house. Peb boys wanted 296 + tax, Toyota wanted 520, lexus wanted 570. Midas quoted me for 311. No prob. I'll watch over them like a hawk.

Coolwater, there's always a big catch somewhere when someone offers a lifetime guarantee. In the Midas case when you go to get your free new set of brake pads they lie to you and say your brake rotors, brake hardware and sometimes even your brake calipers are also all worn out and need replacement too. So you end up with a big repair bill just for taking your car in to get a new set of pads. They will even refuse to honor the brake pad warranty again unless you agree to replace the brake hardware, rotors, califpers, fluid, etc.

In reality brake hardware and calipers last for decades in warm dry climates and rotors last for 2-3 pad changes. Midas uses aftemarket pads and they wear down the rotors quicker so that's another way they "getcha".

Lexus brakes are very inexpensive to maintain if you purchase genuine Lexus brake pads yourself and learn how to install them yourself.

And Lexus pads and rotors, when used together, deliver twice the durability as aftermarket pads and rotors and are quiet instead of squeaky like the aftermarket stuff and less prone to warping than the cheap stuff sold by muffler and tire shops.

Coolwater, there's always a big catch somewhere when someone offers a lifetime guarantee. In the Midas case when you go to get your free new set of brake pads they lie to you and say your brake rotors, brake hardware and sometimes even your brake calipers are also all worn out and need replacement too. So you end up with a big repair bill just for taking your car in to get a new set of pads. They will even refuse to honor the brake pad warranty again unless you agree to replace the brake hardware, rotors, califpers, fluid, etc.

In reality brake hardware and calipers last for decades in warm dry climates and rotors last for 2-3 pad changes. Midas uses aftemarket pads and they wear down the rotors quicker so that's another way they "getcha".

Lexus brakes are very inexpensive to maintain if you purchase genuine Lexus brake pads yourself and learn how to install them yourself.

And Lexus pads and rotors, when used together, deliver twice the durability as aftermarket pads and rotors and are quiet instead of squeaky like the aftermarket stuff and less prone to warping than the cheap stuff sold by muffler and tire shops.

While I agree with most of what you've said, I find it hard to believe that 2-3 pad changes per set of rotors is normal. Maybe I've been unlucky or maybe it's my driving or maybe I've had the wrong cars, but over my 30 years of driving, I've probably averaged a rotor about every 1.5 pad changes.

YMMV, of course.

My last experience with Midas (which was about 2 yrs ago) was when they cleaned the e-brake shoe areas on my prior '96 ES to get rid of the squeaking noise only heard during the first application of the brakes. I inquired them about their pads and the lifetime warranty, and how they could be applied to my ES. The service rep told me he can't guarantee if the ES is designed to take Midas brake pads, and advised me to go with the OEM/Toyota kind instead just to be safe.

Now that's what I call honesty in the business world! :D B)

Only 'mechanical' job I do on cars is changing the air filter. (Oh, I do change wipers as well. :) ) But, I don't believe changing the air filter or wipers qualifies to be called a 'mechanical' work. B)

I'd really like to learn 2 more auto-shop skills and they are: 1. Oil Change 2. Brake Job

As for oil change, I guess it's just a matter of doing it for the first time and getting used to it. Perhaps, I will try it with my Honda first when it reaches another 3K.

However, as for the brake job, I really want to learn how to do it myself so that--as you've said--I can just go out and buy genuine parts and save the labor cost. Since I'm not going to take any auto-shop classes offered at the community college, I wonder how one can learn to do it....books? (I'd hate to think maybe I'll end up calling the tow service because I mess up the brake. :P )

coolwater, if you live in or near a large or faily large city, look in the yellow pages under Auto Wrecking or Auto Dismantling. You'll likely find ads from "pull your own part" type self service auto wrecking yards. Go to these yards, pay the minor $1-2 entrance fee and you'll find dozens and dozens of Toyota cars and sometimes a Lexus car where you can practice servicing procedures such as replacing brake pads.

The neat thing is no one will watch you or get made if you break something because these are all junk cars that were totalled in auto accidents or mechanically worn out.

from midas.com-

"Midas Brake Parts

Midas Plus™ brake replacement parts are designed to meet- and in many cases exceed- the performance of the equipment that originally came with your car. Vehicle Specific Design (VSD™) makes them fit better, stop faster and last longer than any other replacement pads. And, they're quieter, too. Thanks to our rigorous quality standards and unmatched installation skills, your brakes will perform as well as the originals- or better!

"

My advise... stay away from Midas. That whole brake thing is a scam. They hook you with the "lifetime" thing but they make their money by finding something else wrong with your car EVERYTIME. They figure that you will be comming in regular because of this warrenty and they have a regular sucker to help them buy the boat.

I know becasue I had them try to pull a fast one on me.

George

coolwater, if you live in or near a large or faily large city, look in the yellow pages under Auto Wrecking or Auto Dismantling. You'll likely find ads from "pull your own part" type self service auto wrecking yards. Go to these yards, pay the minor $1-2 entrance fee and you'll find dozens and dozens of Toyota cars and sometimes a Lexus car where you can practice servicing procedures such as replacing brake pads.

The neat thing is no one will watch you or get made if you break something because these are all junk cars that were totalled in auto accidents or mechanically worn out.

monarch, what a great (and smart) idea!

As the matter of fact, there is one 'pull your own part' yard close to my home and I've been wanting to check the place out for a long time now because I see their bill board ad on my way to work everyday. Thank you for the great tip! :cheers:

• 1 month later...

The best method: Buy the Haynes manual, ($17 at Autozone) which shows step-by-step how to do almost all the maintenance you'll ever do. Buy your own pads, take the rotors to a local shop who will turn them for you for about $7-$10 each.

Next best method: Find a local independent mechanic. Lexus brakes are no different than any other car. The chain stores have "lifetime guarantees" to lure you in and stick you with other charges. In the Haynes manual you will find the minimum thickness allowed on a rotor. Before you ever buy new rotors, ask the mechanic to show you the thickness spec and measure the thickness in front of you. Many people will try to sell you new parts because there's about 100% markup in them.

Most expensive method: Lexus dealer.

Even if you don't plan on doing your own maintenance work, the manual is a great investment just so you can understand what's going on with your car. Knowledge is power.