Strut Bar?

it is a pipe or bar that goes from the top of one front wheel well to the opposite side wheel well. they attach above the macpherson strut towers in the engine bay. It is a brace that offers some anchoring from one side of the car to the other. Kind of forms a rigid crossmember above the center of gravity. When you go around corners it will help to keep one side from dipping low and the other side from elevating high. It helps to keep the frame/body from twisting as the car moves around corners.

steveij

several members have them, and they come stock on the 3rd generation ES.

they are used like stevie said it basically helps to keep the geometry of the suspension squared

think of it like a box with the top cover panels open it bends much easier

it reduces lean or roll in turns also increases steering wheel feel

It's not a neccessity unless you're in the habit of driving your car hard, like diving into and out of corners. IMHO ;)

Alan

i still need to get one on my ES. i knew there was somethin' i missed. :)

but just a bit low on funds at the moment... and i have no credit card, so it makes it all the much harder.

it is a very inexpensive investment for a large improvement in ride qualitly. (there is a reason they come stock now)

Just make sure you get one that fits, doesn't hit the underneath of the hood, doesn't hit the intake plenum in forward gears AND reverse gear.

easy DIY install too.

steveij

there were different types.. i read that some did not fit properly or leave enough room and when pulling away or in reverse.

Also heard of a dodgy company

keep in mind, strut bars for the same year Camry V6 should fit, and may yield more possibilities than just looking for an ES strut bar.

Here is a pic. from a Club Lexus member's ES with a Camry strut bar installed.

Thanks for your help steve

i have sent them an email.. i found autobacs1 on ebay.. so i guess thats the correct company to buy them from right?

Also its very tight fit.

I am hoping it will fit on my strut tops as I have electronic adjusted suspension... different to the one in the pic.. but i am pretty sure the bolt pattern is the same.

for $14 i cant go wrong. :huh:

$14 for the bar!!?? nice, I'm considering getting one myself.

Hey, when u guy's say, "easy to install" do you mean even a novice like me could do it? I'd say i was technically minded, but I've never done anything like that before...

if it screws up the electronic modulated suspension, you can always sell it to a non-EMS ES owner for $20.00.

I don't have the EMS but my 02 came standard with the strut bar. I assume the EMS equiped new ES's will have the bar standard too. The computer will should adjust accordingly for its presence.

give it a go.

steviej

• 1 month later...