Do You Drive An Automatic Or Standard ES300?

What do you guys drive, an Automatic or Standard ES300?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. What do you guys drive, an Automatic or Standard ES300?

• Automatic
    • Standard

Hey Guys,

I was just curious to see how many other Standard ES300's are out there.  Mine is a 5-speed and I love driving stick  B)

Regards,

Bryan

Other than you, I think Jill(93ES..) and McElligott are the only ones with the 5 speeds(there is a pristene red 5 speed in the gallery w/ 200k miles, but it has NO name on it.) I read in a Road and Track review of the '93(got it on ebay) that the 5 speed was going to be phased out because of the poor sales of the 5 speed tranny-5%.

:cheers:

I think I got my car for cheap because of the fact that it was manual :)

I was looking at ES300s when a kid hit and totalled my other car (which was standard), and thought that I would have to settle with Automatic if I were to get an ES300. Then my car popped up in the AutoTrader . . . it had low mileage, and was the cheapest in the Trader! I still think it was cheap because of the 5-speed, which was awesome, because I preferred it!

It makes sense that, given the people who bought the ES300s brand new, that the Manual tranny wasn't too popular. It would be in more demand in the used market because then it is at a price where younger people (who more often prefer the stick) can afford them. Maybe I am stereotyping here, but I think it kind of makes sense.

Either way, stick or auto, the ES is still a great car!

Regards,

Bryan

I've heard that the seats aren't very supportive for manual driving (too slick to get any leverage on the clutch I guess...) but I'd still love to have one. Mine has cloth, so it'd be even better B) I've never seen a 5speed around here in our car ads, but if I ever come across one I'll be hard pressed not to buy it :lol:

I've heard that the seats aren't very supportive for manual driving (too slick to get any leverage on the clutch I guess...) but I'd still love to have one. Mine has cloth, so it'd be even better B) I've never seen a 5speed around here in our car ads, but if I ever come across one I'll be hard pressed not to buy it :lol:

The leather seats are no problem at all for driving stick :huh:

Keep your eye out in the trader magasines . . . one is bound to pop up soon! Mine was dirt cheap compared to the automatics, which made it even better! I bought it the day it was posted in the trader. I bet they would have got a lot of younger people looking at it.

Regards,

Bryan

only got 92 and 93 models with a 5 speed

It's too bad that they quit making the stick . . . I'm sure that a lot of the used market buyers would love th manual tranny. But, I can understand why new car sales dwindle with the manual tranny . . . the ES isn't exactly a sports car, and people spending that kind of money usually aren't too concerned about fuel economy . . .

Regards,

Bryan

The Lexus market is geared toward the 40+ age market! And of those buyers, the majority want an automatic- They don't want to shift! It was never designed for young buyers, along with the other Toyota line-ups like the Runner, and Tundra. I've called, and written letters complaining about it- They don't care about the 5% who want manual tanny's. Besides, the price on the newer line-up is more than most young people will ever make in a few years.

I too hate the automatic, but we have no choice, unless our last name says "Foose" or something like that- so we could afford to put a Supra six-speed/computer upgrade in our car. But I would just rather have the Supra! Some of the companies are getting the point, but from what I hear, they will be coming out with a GT Lexus line-up for 06'. You can check out the article in the latest Road and Track, or Car and Driver- can't remember, but it's this months.

you can put a 5 speed in an es wiht a 1mz fe but you have to know what you are doing to find the years and parts to scavange for parts but it is a bolt up uunlike the 92-93 tranny which has a few bolts on the bell housing that don;t match the block