AdBlock Warning

Parts of this website do not function properly with AdBlock enabled on your device. To get the best user experience on our website, please disable Adblock for this website (domain) on your browser.

Mthomas    0

Out of the blue engine is surging and dying and check engine is either blinking or staying on.  Sometimes will run with no issues.  Scanner will not read codes and jumper between E1 and TE1 will not show codes.  ECU? Any assistance would be great.

sha4000    38

It may be the ECU but could be something else. When the check engine is blinking it usually means that the engine is misfiring and in danger of damaging the cats.

Lexus_DK    6

Did you recently do any type of service to the vehicle prior to the engine idling erratically/surging?

Mthomas    0

No.  Everything was normal until this started to happen. 

Lexus_DK    6

hard to say. Check the throttle body for carbon build up on the plate, clean it. Check the fuel pump dampers. Check for vacuum leak. Check mass airflow sensor.

Mthomas    0

Can't understand why analyzer can't connect or be able to jump terminals to obtain check engine code.  

Mthomas    0

Pulled ecm. Anyone have luck with a supplier for rebuilt unit. Many out there, not sure who to trust. 

LSPaul    6

Also, check the connectors under the dash, where the wiring harness from the engine compartment goes into the distribution block (fuse panel).  Disconnect, wiggle around and re-install first.  If you have Deoxit on hand, use that on the connector contacts. The lack of a signal at the diagnostic connector makes me think you're not getting proper connections at this junction block (I went through this when I bought my '94 and over several months, dug through everything). 

As for the ECU itself, I don't have a suggestion for a vendor to replace electrolytic capacitors inside the ECU.  There's probably more suggestions out there as to who NOT to use for recapping (I borrowed a 'rebuilt' box from an acquaintance when I had to replace caps in my ECU, and it was worse than the original box!).   If you have any electronic soldering skills, consider re-capping the ECU yourself; *much* cheaper than sending it out.

Spartan0536    13

I am having surging issues myself, my mechanic said it has to be the ECU after testing and cleaning the IACV, throttle body, checking all electronics.

I contacted LScowboyLS on Facebook, I am currently attempting to make sure that he is legitimate, his posts on ClubLexus are extremely detailed.

Interestingly enough in my conversations with him he has self proclaimed to have worked for NASA with his father at the Marshall Space Flight Center in buildings 4227 and 4708 @ redstone arsenal near Huntsville Alabama. If this is true this guy is an extremely rare find, which is why I am trying to verify his credentials. On his facebook page he has tagged himself with the ASE Master Mechanic certification, unknown if this is legitimate.

Any insight into him from anyone?

M.Yasir    12

Check engine light blinking, why jumping directly to the poor ECU, check your spark plugs or ignition coils, i had the same issue my CEL was blinking suddenly and car started jerking at 60 MPH while at idle it will not jerk

I replaced all the 8 spark plugs and kept the same ignition coil... butter smooth it is

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By RLMarden
      We recently purchased a new 2017, Lexus RX350 and love it.  Selling our original, one owner, 1994, LS400, with 88,000 miles.  This superior designed and built, Generation 1 Lexus has been  faithful to us as we have been faithful to it.  We loved it and still love it.  Its new owner will be blessed with full maintenance documentation and records from DAY ONE and any responses to any questions regarding its history will leave our hands with full disclosure of only "the truth".  We would not hesitate to keep it and insure it with Hagerty Insurance as a "modern classic", BUT we do not have the room.  If it should not sell to the right appreciative and discriminating buyer of this superior condition Lexus, we may have to make room!  It is in truly excellent condition and will serve its new owner well.  An ad is posted with www.ClassicCars.com.  Go to the ad directly from Classic Car's front page by entering "979779"  in the "cc-" prompt where indicated.  Please do not hesitate to contact me with any further questions at woodman486@kc.rr.com.

• By Travie H
      Alright need some advice on what oil to use for my Ls400 90. I normally use 10w-40 Castrol GTX due to previous owner who had the car would use 10w-40 so I just continue doing the same but yeah let me know ?
    • By CELSI0R
      Hello,

I have been searching online recently for more details about the headlight alignment procedure, as I would like to check and re-align the headlights on my 1991 LS 400. However, I have been quite confused by the results and would like some more clarification about the process.

As described in the shop diagram image I attached, the A-bolt is for horizontal adjustment, and the B-bolt is for vertical adjustment. Do both of these bolts move the actual headlight lens or just the bulb inside? What I mean by this is, when you turn the A-bolt, can you see a visible change in the headlight moving left or right (with the lights off), and when you turn the B-bolt, can you see the headlight itself moving up or down?

Of course, I will be aligning the lights based off of where the beams are hitting a wall, opposite the front of the car, but I don't want to make the lenses look crooked as a result.

Also, when removing the rubber cover on the radiator support for the A-bolt, I'm assuming you can pull it from the top using your fingers(?).

Any clarification on this subject would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Note, the second picture of the actual headlight is from this thread.

• By goldendorp
      For the past year or so, if I leave the car alone for a few days, regardless of temperature it has trouble starting. When I go to start it it will crank for a while but only fully start by giving it gas. When it starts an large plume of smoke along with fuel smell fills the air. Check engine light is not on.
      I removed the air intake plastic stuff and put the key in the on position and a rock on the gas pedal. I removed the plate at the top of the throttle body and sprayed and cleaned out the 9 or so mini holes and the 2 larger holes. With my limited car knowledge I assumed this area to be the air intake bypass when the pictured valve is closed. I cleaned out throttle body as much as I could from the front without removing it. I had good results with this. The car started and maintained higher rpms than before. I thought it was a great success.
      I then left it alone for 10 days and it wouldn't start.
      What should I check next?
      Do oxygen sensors have a role is starting or just running?
      Does the MAF sensor have a role in starting if the throttle plate valve is closed during starting? (I didn't mess with the MAF sensor) Air filter is about a year old, lightly dirty, not filthy.
      Help... I like this car, but I don't like the Lexus service bill. Thanks.

• By weddings " r" us in bolton
      hi i have had quite a few ls400 lexus cars they are superb, but my most recent , a 1998 gold one has paint fade on bonnet , roof , and boot its gone silver , she now looks 2/tone ?