So, Now I'm Thinking Of One New...

nc211

Well, on the heels of my lively two car thread....life has changed my plans tonight. Bye Bye BMW 3 series wagon....and hello either Sienna or Sequia (sp?)... Because I don't think I could get TWO baby car seats in the BMW....

Yup.... NC211 is going to be a daddy, again!!! That whole "what happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas" thing, ain't exactly true, as my wife and I were there a couple weeks ago..

So, here's to the new addition to the family soon! Wife told me "time to turn it off", "it" being the obvious egg-sniper commandos I apparetnly have. :lol::lol: B)

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well, on the heels of my lively two car thread....life has changed my plans tonight. Bye Bye BMW 3 series wagon....and hello either Sienna or Sequia (sp?)... Because I don't think I could get TWO baby car seats in the BMW....

Yup.... NC211 is going to be a daddy, again!!! That whole "what happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas" thing, ain't exactly true, as my wife and I were there a couple weeks ago..

So, here's to the new addition to the family soon! Wife told me "time to turn it off", "it" being the obvious egg-sniper commandos I apparetnly have. :lol::lol: B)

Congrats nc :cheers: You are one lucky guy, Ya gotta love the magic of Vegas B)

Congrats as well from those of us in your old stomping grounds. I assume you're hoping for a girl this time?

Now, your next phone call should be to find a good urologist for that all-important vasectomy. This April will mark 30 years since I had mine (I was 26 and the doctor tried his best to talk me out of it). Best financial decision I've ever made. No more worries about another sneaky little devil slipping through the safety net and hitting the target. You get snipped on a Friday and you're back at work on Monday. But take it from one who knows from experience - be very careful not to accidently sit on your gonads for at least a month or so afterwards. If you do, make sure no one is within a quarter-mile of you because the language that will be eminating from your mouth will peel the paint off your walls....

Congrats NC211, my wife always wanted 2 kids as well, but I held my ground among things :)

How about a BMW X5 or the new X3, should fit 2 baby seat in there with no problem. The Sienna is pretty nice too if you want a mini van. I would get the mini van for the wife and pick up that BMW that you always wanted :)

First off, Congratulations! Second, back in the day (not that many days ago) wagons were the family car, who says you couldn't have one now? However the new Sienna is pretty cool, especially the limited. They aught to slap L badges on those.

Now, your next phone call should be to find a good urologist for that all-important vasectomy.

Hahahaha... nice

NC, just wondering, are you concerned at all about putting the new born in a Sienna or Sequia with all the problem Toyota have been having? I know I would be :(

I wouldn't be.

Thanks everyone! This is certainly big news in our household these days. Every year for the past five, have all had major life changing events occur, so 2010 shouldn't be any different.

2005: Get engaged

2006: Get married, land career job (during wedding), circle globe, buy first house.

2007: Talk about family, circle globe again, find out talk's cheap, we're pregnant.

2008: Have family, recession starts, told we're closing NC office.

2009: Move to Chitcago to stay alive in middle of recession. Turns out to be right move.

2010: Expand family.

2011: Aiming to get NC211 family back to mid-atlantic region, possibly DC.

2012: I'm afraid to ask...

RX - you're advice is spot on the money amigo!

G Man - I'm not affraid to put my family in any Toyota product, not even in the slightest.

SWO: 2011 goal is a "asap" goal! You better get that LS soon, because if you're still talkin' about it by the time I'm paying taxes in DC, you're buying the beers...lots of beers...

DC: Vegas....what can I say! Been there only once, and came back broke, pregnant, and with a court date. I can't make this stuff up.... Vegas Baby, yeah!!

The cars: gonna have to wait a while before making any decisions. I've got two cars that I know will get the job done in comfort, and have no worries about reliability or safety in either one. I'm going to fix the suspension bushings in the GS, and we're going to see how the 4runner handles the new addition to the family before making any decisions. It's not necessarily a money thing, but a time commitment thing. I know these two cars won't need a lot of my attention to maintain (once the GS is serviced). Time to spend on cars is going to get pretty slim again. Plus, no matter how many ways I try to skin it, the fact that I've got a GS430 with 60k miles that sees less than 4k miles a year from me with a 4 digit loan balance of choice, is becoming an impossible hurdle for me to clear in my mind. The BMW would not be this way, as it would have a much higher, required loan to buy. The 4runner is now in 4 digit territory too, with 80k miles, but drives like it's new still!

NC, I just realized you have a last gen GS. I would definitely keep that car, it is built much better than the current gen. In fact, that was one of the reason why I bought the 3rd gen GS, because I like the 2nd gen so much. Unfortunately, the 3rd gen GS turn out to be a big disappointment.

Good Luck with the new addition to the family and head south, young man :)

• 1 month later...

well...actually....BMW is in the hunt again. I've got my heart set on a 06-07 5 series wagon "530 xi" instead. You know, funny things about BMW - you read all of these horrible things about them. But, when you actually talk to an owner about their's, they have nothing but love and positive comments about them, much like Lexus fans. In fact, I was at the repair shop yesterday having my busted e-brake fixed, and a guy with a 06 530xi wagon with 70k on the clock was having new pads put on. I asked him about it, said it was the best car he has ever owned, has 2 in his house "X5 too", and loves them both. Said he hasn't had a single problem with his, and his kids beat the snot out of it. He let me sit in it....oh brother, are those some super sexy and nice interiors! I love the dash with the idrive screens. So, I think we'll keep the 4runner, and replace the GS with a 5 series wagon "with the certified 100k warranty just in case".

New problem in my car....when in reverse, if I don't have my foot on the brakes when i disengage into neutral, I get a horrible slamming noise underneath with a strong buckling through the system. Only in reverse though. Don't care enough to spend the money to fix it. Already has new trans mount and motor mounts. Not going to touch the differential on this car. I get the feeling someone did a few neutral drops back in the day.

well...actually....BMW is in the hunt again. I've got my heart set on a 06-07 5 series wagon "530 xi" instead. You know, funny things about BMW - you read all of these horrible things about them. But, when you actually talk to an owner about their's, they have nothing but love and positive comments about them, much like Lexus fans. In fact, I was at the repair shop yesterday having my busted e-brake fixed, and a guy with a 06 530xi wagon with 70k on the clock was having new pads put on. I asked him about it, said it was the best car he has ever owned, has 2 in his house "X5 too", and loves them both. Said he hasn't had a single problem with his, and his kids beat the snot out of it. He let me sit in it....oh brother, are those some super sexy and nice interiors! I love the dash with the idrive screens. So, I think we'll keep the 4runner, and replace the GS with a 5 series wagon "with the certified 100k warranty just in case".

New problem in my car....when in reverse, if I don't have my foot on the brakes when i disengage into neutral, I get a horrible slamming noise underneath with a strong buckling through the system. Only in reverse though. Don't care enough to spend the money to fix it. Already has new trans mount and motor mounts. Not going to touch the differential on this car. I get the feeling someone did a few neutral drops back in the day.

I don't think BMW has had a bad rap for quality, although they do seem to get the electrical boogers alot. The problem with BMW is gettting parts, and when you do, they cost alot. Granted, most service parts are about the same, but you'll see. I have a Volvo that needs a $700.00 windshield wiper motor......700!!!!!!bucks!!! It's just dumb. But it doesn't happen all the time, and I would still get another Volvo. Overall it's a great car. So is the Mercedes Benz ML I got last year. And actually, I would venture to say, that the ML has become my favorite all around everyday vehicle. Yeah, surprised me too! LOL!! SO if your liking a BMW, then I would just get one. Have you looked at a Mercedes of the same category yet?

• 1 month later...

Can't seem to get my hands on a BMW, so I'm looking at Volvo instead. Plus, really liking the whole safety thing too with Volvo. Looking at this one... Don't really care about 0-60 in 5 seconds anymore. In fact, I've come to the conclusion that there really is no justification for my GS to have a V8 engine. For one, you can only really use it when it's dry out. If it's wet, it might as well be ice on the road. Two, I still can't believe I haven't gotten a ticket yet. And with traffic, I only use about 30% of it's ability. Three, I'm really not all that comfortable driving this car. It wanders all over the place, especially on uneven pavement. Granted, i'm betting it has a lot to do with the GT tires on it, but not willing to spend the hundred$ for new tires. The fun of the car though? Stop light drag races on dry pavement. I turned off the trac control the other day, dry pavement, stop light. Light turned green, and my foot went all the way down. Left some marks on the pavement! It was fun!

I also like the fact that when a bushing wears out, you can buy just the bushing for $30+/-, not entire control arm. Smooth, as I was checking parts.com on how the suspension set up is, I checked the windshield wiper motor too for the V70. Granted, I'm sure you've probably already spent the money to fix your, but parts.com shows them for about $250.

At the end of the day....that little Mazda we had, I'm affraid, has ruined me. Quiet and smooth is nice, but too much of it, is boring me now.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=u&car_id=273917605&dealer_id=93017&car_year=2006&rdm=1274285841627&lastStartYear=1981&model=V70&num_records=25&systime=&make2=&highlightFirstMakeModel=&start_year=2006&keywordsfyc=&keywordsrep=&engine=&certified=&body_code=0&fuel=&awsp=false&search_type=both&distance=25&marketZipError=false&search_lang=en&showZipError=y&make=VOLVO&keywords_display=&color=&scarid=276730646&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&min_price=&drive=&default_sort=priceDESC&seller_type=b&max_mileage=&style_flag=1&sort_type=priceDESC&address=60137&advanced=&end_year=2008&doors=&transmission=&max_price=&cardist=4&standard=false&rdpage=thumb

nc211,

You're sounding like you need an economics refresher course....

The economy still sucks, you have another baby on the way, you barely do enough miles these days to call yourself a driver. For Pete's sake, man, just keep the car you're currently in for a while and save the cash for your perpetual Pampers, baby formula, and Happy Meal stash....

A decent set of tires for that GS will be a whole lot less money than trading cars right now....

I hear ya', but I'm fortunate enough to say the economy doesn't suck for me. You want to talk about job security? How about being 1 of only 7 people charged with putting $3b in the economy throughout the US and Canada, and being 1 of 3 who covers everything east of Colorado! One of the trade-offs for making this move. My driving distances are about to change, we're moving the office in September. Plus, you know the golden rule....it's great to be a buyer when everyone else is trying to be a seller. With #2 on the way, I'd like for us to have the option to switch cars every now and then. As it is now, I'm the GS, she's the 4runner. I'd like to drive the 4runner sometimes, and she'd like to drive something else with the kids every now and then too. The GS doesn't cut it, we need a wagon in the mix. And, quite frankly, I loothe this GS, probably one of the most disappointing cars I've ever owned. I hate paying for things I don't like or want. However, that said, I do recognize the economy and the addition to the family. That is why I'm not considering a new car, just used. I'm really tempted to take a look at a decked out Ford Flex, but know better than to do so. No more Lexus's for me though. I won't argue that they're great cars, but I think I've scratched that itch for awhile...

So, anyone have anything to say about the Volvo? Obviously anything I decide to buy will have well documented and reviewed certified warranty. I'm seeing something called a T5, which is basically a turbo on the engine, bumping HP up from about 170 to 210ish. Not sure if I want to take on a turbo, but certainly intriqued :)

We've had neighbors and friends who've enjoyed their Volvo Cross Country AWD station wagons and kept them for a long time, like 6 or 8 years with not too many issues or problems. You know their reputation for safety and longevity, so good luck if you decide to chase one. I wholeheartedly agree with buying a used one, maybe just coming off a 3-year lease with plenty of factory warranty left so you can shake it out thoroughly at Volvo's expense, not yours....

In any case, good luck finding exactly what you want and keep us posted....

So, anyone have anything to say about the Volvo?

I know that Volvo is now owned by a Chinese car company. My brother in law just lease a 2010 C70, he got it dirt cheap. The Volvo dealers are really hurting right now.

DC, the subbies would be my first and most logical choice, if my wife didn't have something against them "which I still don't know why, or what?" The mystery of a woman I guess. I've always like the 06-08' style of the Outback, and looked at them pretty heavily when trying to replace the LS. One thing that is a flaw with them though is the center arm rest. Its way too far back, making it utterly useless. I'd trust one over a Volvo anyday of the week too. I use to have a 99' outback, that was great! But, the wife refuses to have one. She's open to the Volvo though. I think I've spoiled her by moving to an area of MB's, Audi's, BMW's, etc.. I personally really like the MB wagons, but too afraid to take one on. Plus, you would be stunned at how many MB's I see here in Chitcago with body rust! We're talking MB's that are maybe 4 years old, with rusting trunks and fenders already. I'd be TICKED if I had paid $50k+ for a car that was rusting so soon. I've seen too many of them to be "user error". I won't touch a used Audi or VW either. And can't get my hands on a BMW without busting the budget. They're so rare that dealers know they don't have to negotiate very much. But Volvo....different story..

I've got my family in town this week for #1's second b'day. Might slip out on Saturday and go take a look at the Volvo.

I'm really dissapointed in the lack of offerings for station wagons in general. You do a search for all cars on autotrader, with the key word of "wagon", and you're basically looking at european/german, with the exception of Subaru, and the old Clark Griswald wagons "which are actually pretty darn cool!!".

I've talked about this before, but the family vehicle from my youth that I miss by far the most is our trusty 1966 Oldsmobile Vista Cruiser station wagon. That thing was a rolling living room with a 455 cubic-inch V8, glass panels all along both sides of the roof (in the days long before sunroofs were common), and room for six dogs and a small pony inside. The third row of seats faced rearwards and that was my exclusive domain in those days. I felt like I was a block away from my parents and sisters whenever I was entrenched back there....

I wish I had that Vista Cruiser today in pristine condition. It would be an absolute blast. The only problem would be having to constantly deal with people trying to buy it off me....