So, Now I'm Thinking Of One New...

nc211

Wow that is amazing that they will allow that much for your 4runner. My sister in law only got 18k for her 07 with 15 k miles on it. It was only the 2 wheel drive version but I still think she got ripped. I do know here on the shore they don't want to give much for trades though. I was getting a kbb trade value of 17-18k on my rx330 but no way I could get the dealers to give me that for it. I ended up selling it myself. Chitcago as you call it must be in more demand for used cars.

Good luck with the VW NC. I thought you were going with another suv so I would have never guessed this one. I have never had a V W and the only 2 people that I know that have spent more time in the dealer and one was taken back as a lemon. I am sure you will have better luck and like you said you have the warranty so who cares. That is basically how I felt about the BMW. Glad SW and I did not have to break out our checkbooks! lol

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yeah DC, you hit it right on the head LOL

My VW experience comes from three places, one my mother had a 99 New Beetle for a couple years, and my cousin had an '05 New Beetle with the turbo. Both had tons of electrical gremlins, the 99 New Beetle had a hole rot in the gas tank I had to force them to cover under warranty, and the battery on that car exploded once. First time I had seen a car without a maintenance free battery in a LONG time, dealer never maintained it and I wouldn't have expected they should have to. I also met a guy once who owned an independent VW/Audi mechanic who told me never to buy one and that the reason he chose VW & Audi to specialize in was because they were so needy he makes twice what he would make focusing on BMW or MB.

So...warranty is a must!

Congrats! I have loved the GTI for quite some time now. I tried to talk my wife into one but she had already fell in love with the Jetta 2.5 SE. Which is fine with me also, but I think the GTI is a much better car.

And your GTI looks great! Those are the rims to have! Your gonna have a ton of fun driving that car. Is it AWD? or FWD?

Thanks guys, really enjoying this little german marvel of speed. Found out tonight, by accident, that it has head light sprayers as well. I was goofing around with it in the driveway, hit the windshield sprayer as I was standing next to the car, and saw these two little arms come zooming out of the front bumper. I didn't even know they were there. Made me laugh! The ideal car would be a Jetta GLI Wagon. I really love that new Jetta Wagon, but didn't like the 2.5 engine as much as the 2.0 turbo. If they ever come out with a GLI Wagon, I might be tempted to take a peek. The plan is to keep the car while under warranty, then replace it, so until December of 2013. At that time, the 4runner will have been paid off, leaving just one car payment. The 4runner will be with us for many many years, but will eventually be downgraded from it's daily driver status. At that time is when I'm thinking the minivan, and maybe a return to Lexus in the LS format. But, we'll have to see how everything unfolds over the next 36 months. I have a feeling we'll be living in the western suburbs of DC at that time, and I'll be in a better financial position to raise my comfort ceiling for a car. Until then though, it's zoom zoom in the GTI. Really and truly guys, if you haven't driven one of these cars in several years, they're worth a look, if for nothing else, free sh*ts and giggles. I know, everyone knows someone who had a bad VW. That can be said for every car maker on the planet. There are those however who haven't had a bad experience, that most folks simply don't talk about. I once knew a guy who spent thousands of dollars chasing bad vibrations out of a Lexus once, and refused to do it again. Off to bed, gotta pick up the family at 7am, coming back from 2 weeks back home at the beach. I've convinced my wife I bought an Outback, and she'll just have to deal with it! She has no idea I got the VW, which she wanted as well. Her birthday is on Thursday.... Got the 4runner all detailed up, got the house spotless and clean from top to bottom, got the painting chores done...got the flowers on the dinning room table, and got the camera charged to see her smile when she sees the GTI! She really is po'd at me right now over the Outback. Little does she know..... ;)

I'm glad it went well!

I once knew a guy who spent thousands of dollars chasing bad vibrations out of a Lexus once, and refused to do it again.

That guy's Lexus was 11 years old though ;)

As a testament to the Lexus, it sold within 3 days on an asking price of $15,995. This is way more than what I paid for it 18 months ago ($13,500 All In). I have it on good authority they did not have to negotiate much either. Amazing what a clay bar detail and a pair of fresh engine mounts can do!

This VW is just a joy to zip around in. I must admit, the build quality and materials used is quite a pleasant surprise. Not as smooth as a Lexus or Toyota, but not exactly rough in any way either. certainly know you're driving a German car!