Clicking Sound Under Glovebox

davgrooms

I think I have come to the right place. I have a strange, irregular clicking noise coming from under my glovebox on the underside of the dash, directly below the cd-changer. I initially thought it was the changer, but on further inspection, I realized that it is actually below the glovebox. When I place my hand on it, I can actually feel the moving. I also thought it might be a critter of some sort, but it has persisted for several weeks now. It occurs once the car has electrical (when I turn the key to power on) It remains even when the engine, A/C, and stereo are all off. It definately sounds mechanical, but I have no idea what is located there. Does anyone have any ideas, your help is greatly appreciated. Thanks alot

I took apart half my car this morning, and I believe it is the air conditioning air inlet servomotor. I located it twitching, so I assume the problem is with the servo itself and not with the control. does anyone know a good place to get a decent price on lexus parts?

-Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

[Took our 2004 RX 330 to dealer Monday evening....

they said 'should be ready toimorrow' . . .

well, a/o this afternoon...."next week" . . .parts shortage

At least we've got a nice 2005 ES300 loaner . . .

Oh my, the 330's been such a let down . . .

After the 1990 LS400, an RX 300, LX470 . . .this 330 ain't up to par . . .

hmm, i have never heard any clicking sound below or near hte globe box. the only problem with sound with my rx330 is the clicking during high speeds in the drivers window. gah, that was a problem in the rx300 and it still bothers me

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got 'er back . . .

They (Lexus dealer) managed to find part & replace . . .

In July 11

Out July 28

No more little 'clickety' noise . . .

Now, if they could just do something about the engine-tranny no response situation . . .( like the rig doesn't respond when pressing accelerator...)

Finally got 'er back . . .

They (Lexus dealer) managed to find part & replace . . .

In  July 11

Out July 28

No more little 'clickety' noise . . .

Now, if they could just do something about the engine-tranny no response situation . . .( like the rig doesn't respond when pressing accelerator...)

Was it covered under warrenty? the powertrain warrenty?

Have you got the latest reflash? A new one has just come out about a month ago and it did make a nice differance I thought.....

Its the same TSB as the older one on this issue they just revised the update with New software for ya....

Have you got the latest reflash? A new one has just come out about a month ago and it did make a nice differance I thought.....

Its the same TSB as the older one on this issue they just revised the update with New software for ya....

When it comes to cars, like the inside of them, im a noob,lol. what the heck is a TSB, like some sort of computer in ur car that needs to be updated?!? am i suppose to go to my dealer and thell them to do it? also does it cost money?

Was it covered under warrenty? the powertrain warrenty?

Yes,,,

Quite innocently, the young lady at 'pay for service' area, stated

"They'll be no charge for todays service"...

The humor: " today's service "

thats so awesome they fixed your rx. I am pretty sure I have the same exact problem as you. the clicking is a total nuisance. What should I tell the dealership when I go get it fixed? I am not really interested in paying them just to find out what the problem is. also, why was it fixed for free ?

Was it covered under warrenty?

Quite innocently, the young lady at 'pay for service' area, stated

"They'll be no charge for todays service"...

The humor: " today's service "

.... also, why was it fixed for free ?

Warranty ? Rig is about a year old (2004), not too many miles,

we're the orig owner,

We Wouldn't Pay Any Way !

Rig's been in shop way too much for BS items...

( tranny issues, see other threads; body panel / wind noise, etc)

As for the adjacent post about '. . . filter causing noise...'

If you get the noise that I, and others, talk about, you'll know it.

Although not real loud, it's a very repetative mechanical type of noise; independant of vehicle speed or A/C setting.

"Sounds like" a servo system hunting . . .almost the sound of cycling the passanger chair forward and back and fore and ....but sound definately from under/behind glove box.

• 4 weeks later...

Unfortunately, I hvae the same issue in my 01 RX300 Silversport...the annoying sound keeps clicking from under/around the CD/glove compartment area. Don't know if I should take it in or not :unsure: ..my car has about 56K miles...and i got my car in June 01 so i think the warranty is up.. :(

I too have the anoying 'clicking' sound near the glovebox. You'd think someone out there would post a 'fix'. I just turn up the great stereo and count my blessings that it's not the Lexus Service Dept cash register that's doing the ticking.

I just spent over 6 grand replacing the transmission - enough is enough!

I have a LS400 95s, got same noise and found out that the cabin filter causes that noise.

This was in another forum-

The noise is coming from the servo motor that moves the door for the "mode" button. This servo moves diverters to change from vent to floor, etc.

- I popped the bottom panel off under the glove box.

- I then removed the glove box assembly. 2 screws up high, 2 bolts down low.

- With the key on engine off you can press the mode button and watch the servo move. Turn the key completely off.

- Remove 3 screws and plug to take the assembly out.

- Do not attempt to rotate the arm on the end of the servo. It engages w/ a worm gear. Turn it and you will break gears.

- The servo is a snap together unit. Carefully take it apart w/ the arm side down.(so gears don't fall out)

- inside you will see multiple whiper fingers that make contact w/ a gear. Carefully clean these w/ alcohol and a cotton swab.

- Redistribute the contact grease on the whiper pad w/ a clean finger (any oil or lotions on skin will mix w/ the grease and make the copper contacts corrode.

- Carefully snap unit back together.

- Clean contacts on the outer part of servo also w/ alcohal.

The other option is to have Lexus diagnose this for you and hit you for $160 for the part plus ~ an hour or 2 labor.

So far the noise is gone and the HVAC system works properly. I will post any updates if the problem comes back. I think the problem was caused by crusty contacts in the servo that were creating a poor signal back to the computer that controls it. Now that it has a clean signal, all is well..... I hope!!!

thanks, DC fish...couple of questions..

What do you mean by "mode" button?.. is that a button on the Radio/AC dash?

How hard is it to complete what you just mentioned? Sounds a bit challenging. I wouldn't say I am a pro, but I can do the regular stuff like change my oil, filters, and conduct minor services.

thanks

thanks, DC fish...couple of questions..

What do you mean by "mode" button?.. is that a button on the Radio/AC dash?

How hard is it to complete what you just mentioned?  Sounds a bit challenging.  I wouldn't say I am a pro, but I can do the regular stuff like change my oil, filters, and conduct minor services.

thanks

The mode button I beleive is the recirc/outside switch. That was done by someone else, Not me although I will be doing the procedure soon. Good Luck :cheers:

Way to call it, DCFISH!!! It worked exactly the way you described it. Thanks for the fix and saving me a couple hundred bucks!!

IndyKen

The noise is coming from the servo motor that moves the door for the "mode" button. This servo moves diverters to change from vent to floor, etc.

- I popped the bottom panel off under the glove box.

- I then removed the glove box assembly. 2 screws up high, 2 bolts down low.

- With the key on engine off you can press the mode button and watch the servo move. Turn the key completely off.

- Remove 3 screws and plug to take the assembly out.

- Do not attempt to rotate the arm on the end of the servo. It engages w/ a worm gear. Turn it and you will break gears.

- The servo is a snap together unit. Carefully take it apart w/ the arm side down.(so gears don't fall out)

- inside you will see multiple whiper fingers that make contact w/ a gear. Carefully clean these w/ alcohol and a cotton swab.

- Redistribute the contact grease on the whiper pad w/ a clean finger (any oil or lotions on skin will mix w/ the grease and make the copper contacts corrode.

- Carefully snap unit back together.

- Clean contacts on the outer part of servo also w/ alcohal.

The other option is to have Lexus diagnose this for you and hit you for $160 for the part plus ~ an hour or 2 labor.

So far the noise is gone and the HVAC system works properly. I will post any updates if the problem comes back. I think the problem was caused by crusty contacts in the servo that were creating a poor signal back to the computer that controls it. Now that it has a clean signal, all is well..... I hope!!!