Gold Emblem Refurbish

My gold emblems don't look bad for being 10 years old, but I'd like to spruce them up. What is the best way-Buy new ones? Take them to a replater? I'm going to buy an LS400 emblem for my 94, and I'm concerned it will outshine the other original emblems too much.

Also, the gold trim around the front grille is looking a little faded. Don't know how to handle this, since it looks like it doesn't want to be removed.

Your thoughts are appreciated.

I just sent the grille trim plus all the emblems to a fellow in Tulsa for reworking.

I checked EBay for months, but I thought the emblems listed were quite overpriced.

The internet search sites turned up little, also.

I'll let you know how it turns out.

I cannot even imagine what it would cost to replace all the emblems-new. Plus the grille trim, too.

I sent 2 Lexus "L's", 4" wide, plus 1 antenna nut-1" approx dia., plus 1 "LEXUS" nameplate, approx 8" long. And the grille trim-A rectangle 1' -8" L x 1" on top, and 2 sides-8"L x 1/2", and one bottom 1"6" L x 1/2".

I won't tell you the cost until I receive the finished product. If all works out, I promised the detailer that I would try to send him some business from LOC. Let's see what happens-I hope we've found an asset for us all....

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, all, I'm going to receive my replated gold emblems-including the grille trim-on Monday. I'm going to install them immediately, and will take digital photos.

Please help me to figure out how to post them on our website. I've never posted pics before...I only have one picture of the old emblems-but it is of the front, so the grille picture should be outstanding. I just got a gold "LS400" emblem for the rear of my Gen 1, so I'll include that too, although we won't be able to compare it with the other original emblems. If the emblems are as good as I think they'll be, I'd like to let everybody know who did the work....

Man, you'd think it was Christmas around here....

I just installed all my replated gold "L" emblems for the '94LS, including the antenna "button" plus a replated gold grille trim, as well a used "LS 400" emblem I bought from an LOC member. The result is outstanding. Just after I finished working in the driveway, my neighbor who owns 2 cars, a truck and an RV and is a mechanic, came over and said the new trim made the car look brand new! I'll be posting pictures of the finished work, but it's raining here, and I may have to wait a couple of days.

I'd like to give credit where it is due. The guy who did the work is-

Kurt B. Heinlein

6916 E. 71st. Place

Tulsa, OK. 74133

<goldaccentplating@sbcglobal.net> I found him on EBay.

He is honest,, very responsive and professional. He did my work over one weekend, and sent the emblems back quickly. I could not be more satisfied, and I 'd like to post his charges to replate with a gold finish:

Emblems that have never been gold plated, or have the original chrome finish (which have to be stripped):

$15.00 each

Emblems that are gold plated but worn or faded:

$7.50 each

For a faded gold grill:

$30.00 each

For a faded chrome grille:

$60.00

So for about 60 bucks plus 5 bucks shipping, I have a complete set of replated trim. For 20 bucks more, I added the LS 400 emblem, too.

Hello, moderators, please add this company to our vendors list. Tops.

TexusLexus, your as bad as my wife TEASE. Sounds like you got a great experiance and I hope that everyone else will also benefit from this.

I'll be sending him my wheel covers ASAP. I feel like I've been taken to the cleaners by the dealer, since I paid over $200 for a kit that does not include the wheel cover emblems. :blushing:

I've sent 3 pictures to the Gallery that really do not show the beautiful emblems that well. The sun came out, and there is an awful lot of reflection. I'll try and send some more detailed pics soon. But trust me-

This guy, who I've never met, is an asset to our owner's club.

TL 94

• 1 month later...
I just installed all my replated gold "L" emblems for the '94LS, including the antenna "button" plus a replated gold grille trim, as well a used "LS 400" emblem I bought from an LOC member.  The result is outstanding.  Just after I finished working in the driveway, my neighbor who owns 2 cars, a truck and an RV and is a mechanic, came over and said the new trim made the car look brand new!  I'll be posting pictures of the finished work, but it's raining here, and I may have to wait a couple of days.

I'd like to give credit where it is due.  The guy who did the work is-

Kurt B. Heinlein

6916 E. 71st. Place

Tulsa, OK. 74133

<goldaccentplating@sbcglobal.net>  I found him on EBay.

He is honest,, very responsive and professional.  He did my work over one weekend, and sent the emblems back quickly.  I could not be more satisfied, and I 'd like to post his charges to replate with a gold finish:

Emblems that have never been gold plated, or have the original chrome finish (which have to be stripped):

$15.00 each

Emblems that are gold plated but worn or faded:

$7.50 each

For a faded gold grill:

$30.00 each

For a faded chrome grille:

$60.00

So for about 60 bucks plus 5 bucks shipping, I have a complete set of replated trim.  For 20 bucks more, I added the LS 400 emblem, too.

Hello, moderators, please add this company to our vendors list.  Tops.

Hey all,

I just used Kurt to "re-gold" my emblems for my '94 LS. (See TexasLexus94 Post dated June 8) Due to the weathering, they were very faded and pitted. I have to tell you, Kurt is the man.....he was able to give these a fresh look and for a more than fair price.

To be honest, because they were so weathered, they don't look like new, but they look damn good. You can't go wrong with him, he maintains good communications throughout the process and was fast for me. :D

The key to emblem removal is PATIENCE.

The front grille "L" is easy-Lift the hood-Just need a phillips screwdriver to loosen the screw and remove the logo.

Removing the grille trim requires a #10 socket and saving a lot of screws. Easy.

The rear "L" and "LEXUS" logo take the most work, since they have adhesive and studs which stick into pre-drilled holes on the trunk lid. The studs on the back of the emblems also have grommets which make them fit securely in the holes. If you live in a high temperature area, like I do, the secret is to use a regular screwdriver with the tip covered with duct tape-to protect the finish. Pull up a lawn chair, and slowly work the logo off. Little bit at a time. Drink a beer, wedge it a little more-and more. It will work. Now if you live in Antarctica type places-like Massachusetts-you need to heat the area with a blow dryer for a while. The key is to prevent cracking of the plastic logo, and heat always helps.. One of the Senior members of LOC recommends using dental floss to loosen the adhesive-good idea, but the studs are still in the way, too.

To reinstall, I just used contact cement. It's not like I'll be replacing logos too often on a 10 year old car. But refinished gold logos sure look great on my white/grey Lexi. Plus the grille.

Good luck, Pipo8.

The key to emblem removal is PATIENCE.

The front grille "L" is easy-Lift the hood-Just need a phillips screwdriver to loosen the screw and remove the logo.

Removing the grille trim requires a #10 socket and saving a lot of screws.  Easy.

The rear "L" and "LEXUS" logo take the most work, since they have adhesive and  studs which stick into pre-drilled holes on the trunk lid.  The studs on the back of the emblems also have grommets which make them fit securely in the holes.  If you live in a high temperature area, like I do, the secret is to use a regular screwdriver with the tip covered with duct tape-to protect the finish.  Pull up a lawn chair, and slowly work the logo off.  Little bit at  a time.  Drink a beer, wedge it a little more-and more.  It will work.  Now if you live in Antarctica type places-like Massachusetts-you need to heat the area with a blow dryer for a while.  The key is to prevent cracking of the plastic logo, and heat always helps..  One of the Senior members of LOC recommends using dental floss to loosen the adhesive-good idea, but the studs are still in the way, too.

To reinstall, I just used contact cement.  It's not like I'll be replacing logos too often on a 10 year old car.  But refinished gold logos sure look great on my white/grey Lexi.  Plus the grille.

Good luck, Pipo8.

super! don't think i need to use a blow dryer in southern cal this time of the year.

many thanks!

I just found I had a plastic putty knife and worked em steady till they popped off. I'd also had some Liquid Nails in a toothpaste-like tube (Home Depot) laying around and tried it. Worked like a charm, but other adhesives may(?) be better. Good Luck.