minor wheel restore

Frank DUva

I recently bought on eBay a decent set of 2003 LS430 7 spoke 17" wheels in Millennium silver. I have  2002 SC430 in millennium silver that has a like new paint finish. The wheels need some paint touch up, but they are somewhat dull. Not sure if I should polish and wax or compound cleaner and wax. I have no experience in abrasives. 

LS430 wheel.jpg

Many aluminum wheels are clear-coated after painting or polishing. It is possible to clean them with alcohol and apply a new coat of spray paint, but you may not like the result. Why not ask an auto body shop person what they would charge?

I was thinking about having them refurbished but they quoted me $150-$175 per wheel also. They also said the color being that old it might have to be custom mixed paint, which might be even more. I think a body shop may be worth it, seeing they have experience with paint restoration. Or I may attempt to use a light compound then a finish polish by hand then wax.  The scratches are many but light and the wheels are in good shape, maybe a good place for getting some experience.