Power Steering Pump Leaking

93ls400

I noticed that my 1993 LS400 (119000 miles) power steering pump just started leaking. I took it to the Toyota dealer and they are asking $650 + tax to replace the pump and washer. I spoke to another mechanic and he is suggesting to replace the alternator at the same time, he said sooner the alternator is going to to be gone, and he is asking $1000 to replace both. I need some suggestions, shoul I just replaced the steering pump or both , and also $1000 is alot for me. Does anyone knows any good mechanic in NJ, PA or DE area. I live in central New jersey. Also can I used rebuild parts instead of OEM, I am planning to keep this car for another few years.

Thanks in Advance

you should replace the alternator if the p.s fluid is leaking on it..eventually it will fry the alternator out.

i don't see why you couldn't use a rebuilt pump...be a lot cheaper

the high price is due mostly to the labor involved.

the other members will have answers to your other questions

If PS pump is leaking or just startet not a long time ago, you don't have to change the alternator, of course you should check it.

I had the same problem and I only changed pump with another used one in good condition. Now i have to think about changing rack and pinion. Its leaking too. Probably I will leave it as it is now adding sometimes some PS fluid. The costs are too big. :C

At present, the alternator is ok, it was cleaned and checked, pump isn't leaking and I can sleep well...

I'd skip replacing the alternator unless it is really covered with oil. If you have someone else repair it, put an identification mark somewhere on the pump. Even a yellow tire crayon. Make it unobvious. That way you can know if the work is actually done.

I had my PS pump and high pressure hose changed a year an a half ago. The left off one of the mounting bolts which caused the connection to the high pressure line to vibrate loose, then it started leaking again. I went under an tightened it and it has been fine since. The independent shop charged me around a grand for the pump, hose and labor. I wish I had just gone ahead and done it myself with an Autozone pump, but I was really pressed for time then.

Put the car on ramps, remove the engine splash pan, get a good light and look up around the pump. You will be able to see quite a bit and scope out the situation. No point of throwing money away.

Denny

Here is the high pressure connection for the power steering pump. It is a flow-through design with an attachment for the vacuum lines on top. I was able to stick my camera up in there to get a picture after I tightened it.

The high pressure line is a flow-through design, the two hoses are vacuum lines.

Wll, now you can't load pictures from the gallery?

It is on Page 41 of the LS gallery

The PS hoses on my LS has some fluid on it. I think it is the hoses leaking, as it seems to be coming out there. The alternator is still dry and there is no drips coming from the pump yet, so I guess everything is OK for now. I am going to try to tighten the clamps on the hoses and clean the pump and see if that takes care of it. Are you sure that it is not just your hoses leaking?

VMF lives in the Tri-State Area. You could PM her to see who she recommends. If you can make it down to the DC area, I can swap it out for $200 labour--no alternator. Personally, I'm not that big of a fan for the ones from AutoZone or Pepboys, but that's just me. I can probably get another PS Pump from my source for $200 or less.

Changing the Alternator is not a bad idea. It will save you a few moves in the future.

90LS--

you may want to keep a close eye on that leak. i thought my hi press

hose was leaking at the crimped joint but after wrapping a cloth around

the hose above the joint, i found that it was the pump inlet. i got the

seal repair kit including the copper/brass gasket all for about $25.

all the old o-rings were brittle and my car only has 61kmi. no problems

with repair and pump is fine now. there were no signs of any drippage

ever hitting the alternator.

also, finally cleaned solenoid filter yesterday. it was totally plugged.

lexie.

Where exactly is the alternator on these cars? I have :o a 91LS and looked up there and cannot see it. Maybe my car does not have one... :lol:

Just kidding... I still can't find it any how.