Ac Compressor Is Going Bad...

ThunderRiver

Well, AC is working on my car, but it is causing a lot of noise from the AC clutch, so I sent my car back to Lexus dealer for a 45 bucks inspection.

They told me that the AC compressor is going bad. Also, since my car is 1994 LS400, it is abit old, so when they tried to separate the Clutch assembly from the compressor, they could not get the clutch off the compressor (they couldn't pull out the magnetic bar). Thus, when they replace my ac compressor, I would need a new clutch assembly as well.

Here is a list of stuff she said I would need to replace if I want the repair done at Lexus of Ann Arbor dealer:

1 A/C Compressor (Part# 88320-50040-84) - $1300

1 A/C Receiver/Dryer (Part# 88470-50050) - $165

3 134A (Part# 00263-00134) - $21 each or $63 for all three

+ Oil (Part# 08885-09109) - $60

1 Clutch Assembly (Part# 88410-50040) - $300

+ Tax.. = whooping $2533.96

Does that price really sound reasonable? The way I look at it is that it actually costs too much on the A/C Compressor part.. if I can get it somewhere for a cheaper price, that would definitely cut down the cost a bit more. Any suggestions? Thanks!

No A/C for me at this moment as A/C is connected to one of the main belt, so if A/C Compressor refuses to work, it may cause the car engine to stall.

one thing: 134A shouldn't be over $10.

go on line to price parts: www.irontoad.com

and others

also why not go to an A/C repair shop and get prices---a Lexus is no different than something else !!!! most of the time the compressors are generic.

other words look around.

Thanks guys for all the useful info. I will look into them this weekend.

The more I think about what she told me.. the more I think it is odd.

She said that if A/C compressor breaks down, it can stall the engine. It really doesn't sound like a Lexus design to me.

Maybe they were just trying to scare me to get my money.

But seriously though, if I don't fix it soon, how does it affect my engine? Even if the belt (relates to A/C) breaks?

David_Meusa Writes:

"I got a 92' LS400 4 mo ago, now it makes loud noise when starts in the

morning and last abt 3 min, then there is no noise. Any one with same

experence? Any suggestion to fix it?"

David:

Please read the Visitors and New Member Forum for details on how to use our forum. Please be aware that you are reporting a post that doesn't need to be.

Thanks for reading.

Sincerely,

UCF3

Moderator SC and LS Forums