Transmission

I just purchased a 2000ES300 and it hesitates when starting from rest, almost as if it's starting in 2nd gear and not 1st. After a short time, it has plenty of zip. Dealer said that it's probably the computer still reacting to previous driver. Is there any truth to this "intelligent transmission" version? has anyone had this problem? Thanks

there is some truth to the learning curve

it usually changes pretty fast

if you really want to find out if it is relearning

(make sure there is no code in the radio first)

disconnect the battery wait 5 minutes and reconnect

it doesn't need this long but just for good measure

this will resturn the settings back to original and the car will start all over again just as it did when new.

but the hesitation may be an actual problem with the car

as the tranny curve is just for shift point @ rpms

meaning the tranny will shift at a higher rpm or lower rpm depending if you like the pedal heavy or not

i am not sure if that year had a hesitation problem, it may have as some es have had a problem like this for a while

but i don't have that year so i am not too sure

one of the other guys should have a good answer

there was a problem with the '02 ES transmissions. they didn't react as well when first accelerating from a start. a few owners (Steve and Steve) lol wow that seems odd. but they both have the '02 ES300's (not sure if steviej's is an '03) but the problem was contained only in the 2002 model year. it was fixed for the '03 year. one of them should be able to fill you in on it.

lol oh yeah that's right steve. you just got the ES over winter. i forgot. stevie's was the '02 right? (i think)

wow i'm really bad at this. i read 2000 as 2002. oops. lol heh wrong year. the 2000 shouldn't have a tranny problem. it could be the learning computer adapting to your driving if it's different from the driver before. just like sk covered, that would be the easiest way to see if it's just the computer relearning the driving style.

Mine's an 03.

you have a 03 ES Steve?

man I'm jealous.

was looking at that on lexus.com the other day - DAMN thats one sweet looking motor.

we don't get that over here - doesn't comply with our emissions rules

:(

we don't get the SC300 / 400 either :angry: - and I really, really like those.

we only get them as imports, and branded as Toyota Soarers (although the have been a few naughty people importing them from Toyota, re-badging as Lexus as selling on at a huge profit)

Thanks for responses. The 2000 doesn't have TBW- that came with the model change in '02.

I presume that checking code for radio before disconnecting battery is advisable because of the security chip?

BTW, interesting that first response on LexusUS BB was from Mississauga, ON since I'm in TO(that's toronto for our Southern friends). Also, my son-in-law works in Plano.

Looks like you've developed a chummy group here.

welcome fello canadian

yah i think everyone here is good forum friends

no bad tensions as i have seen

just as much advise as could be made :D

and yes if there is a code and you don't know it then it is a trip to the dealer to reset it and some of them charge you

check the owners manual to see first

just wondering does your car have a winter and summer mode for the tranny like some other cars if so

then it is the reason why and you pinned it on the head

the winter mode is actually a second gear start

look ofr a winter and summer or sport setting by the shifter

Matt, Oh yeah, I love it, its a great car. My only wish is that it had a little more power and a power/tilt steering wheel. Other than that, its perfect. Navigation is fantastic I'd never buyanother car without it.

jweiss, The ECT PWR and SNOW modes are a good place to start, see if ECT PWR (if even equipped) smooths it out.

jweiss, mind if i ask where your son works in plano? and does he drive a lexus? :)

oh yeah Steve, my grandpa's new '03 ES just got in. Crystal White w/ tan interior.

he had a questions regarding the rear bumper. the side area closest to the tire seemed sort of loose. felt like the bolt hole was too large for the bolts. so it slides a bit.

also the '03 came with TOYO Proxes J33's beautiful tires. :) beautiful car as well. :D

For the 02 drivers:

i thought toyota/lexus was going to come out with a fix for the transmission hesitation problem. I know there was a fix for the camry after a toyota tech team from japan spent a few weeks in the u.s. back in september or october, but last time i checked, they were still working on it for the ES, and i forgot about it til now. did you 02 drivers get any notice?

Mississauga and Steve,

thanks for the tip. There's a white button to left of Park on shift lever. Pressing it doesn't generate any message on the dash. Also, there's nothing in owners' manual in the several different settings. I'll check with dealer. I'll also check on radio code.

Zeta,

Son-in law works for a branch of Aegon insurance, and he doesn't own a Lexus. My daughter who works in Arlington wants one, probably the RX300 or 330. She has to convince him that it's time to move up in the world from her Camry and his Corolla. We'll see...

Zeta, I generally dont like white cars, 6 years with my white Explorer made me want something dark, but the new ES looks great in white, one of the top colors. I just can't stand tan interiors though, my Explorer has a grey.

Also my bumper isn't loose so you may want to have them look at that. Does he have the nav?

Rena-I know the fixed the issue on the 03s, mine is just fine. For some reason they're still ducking it with the 02s.

'02 owners have not been notified of any fix. I wonder if the fix on the 03 will work on the 02.

I shall pose this to Lexus, again.

Actually, it is not that bad after you (the driver) learns. I get great acceleration when in motion if I don't stomp it. When in first and I stomp it, it can't shift any higher and it doesn't hesitate.

I guess as the tranny/ecu learns, so does the driver.

steviej

yeah thanks steve. i'll take the ES back to the dealer and have them check it out.

my grandpa got the Crystal White and tan interior because he likes it a lot. his '99 was Pearl White with tan interior. he really like the pearl white color, but it was changed, so he just went with the crystal white.

There are no ECT settings for the 2000 model(Power and Snow). Apparently, they haven't had that feature for years.

Also, the4re's no code for the radio.

I'll try disconnecting battery and see what happens.