Auto Lights Setting On 1997 Lexus Es300

Does anyone know what lights are on (parking or running) and what triggers the headlights to come on when the lights are in the "auto" position on a 1997 Lexus ES300?

My daughter got in an accident where the other driver said she didn't see my daughter coming and pulled in front of her totaling our Lexus. It was 9:20pm in Boise, Idaho on May 5, 2012. I've checked the sunset and twilight times. Sunset was at 8:51pm and Twilight was 9:23pm. A couple of witnesses said that it was pure dark and my daughter did not have her lights on. The officer said he found the lights in the "auto" position. I had my Lexus serviced at a Lexus authorized dealer in February where on their checklist they check all of the lights.

The other drivers insurance is saying that it was 35 percent my daughters fault because of the lights not being on.

If anyone could help, I would be grateful.

Per page 16 of your ES300's owners manual "The automatic light control sensor is on top of the driver’s side instrument panel."

"THIRD CLICKSTOP (”AUTO”): The headlights and all other lights automatically turn on depending on the darkness of the surroundings."

It's not like you are going to be able to shift the blame to a repair shop on a 15 year old car. Checking the lights doesn't mean a repair shop is going to simulate darkness and check the Auto function.

post-2157-0-64007500-1340853408_thumb.jp

First and most important question..is the daughter ok?.. if so the rest is just nuts and bolts...if the car was in a head on and you dont have the ability to check the headlamps... go down and buy two bulbs for the head lamp assys... and plug them in and see if they work as advertized.. cover up the sensor on the dash and see if the auto function still works!!.. if it does then chances are it was working when the accident happened.. Just because its been in a accident dont mean the auto function dont work. unless of course you have cut wires etc from the accident.. also i dont know enuff about theses cars but if it is equipped with a bcm(body contol module) the dealer can tell you if the lights where on when the accident occured. some are time dated in the bcm.. ask a dealer if the car hasnt ran since the accident then it should have the most current info stored in the bcm... Never hurts to try.. just a suggestion..../r dan