A Sickening Feeling

deadguy

I purchased my 2004 LS430 (81k) on the 15th of October, and for the last week and a half I have enjoyed the experience. ABSOLUTELY enjoyed it.

I decided to request complete service records from Lexus,and in doing so, contacted the dealer I bought it from. They sent me the records from the time they acquired the car until I purchased it from them, which was roughly 5 months. Knowing that the car was originally purchased in Evansville, IA, I decided to call the dealer there and request their records. The service manager then sent me the national record on file, which included his records AND the ones from the local dealer (why didn't the local dealer send me this first?).

5 pages of history revealed many oil changes, brake service jobs and detailings. At mileage mark 7100, I found that the car had been taken in for service and was found to have been wrecked and repaired by a body shop without it being reported to Lexus OR Carfax (Carfax was clean). Damage was "limited" to the right rear light assembly. Repairs were made to the exterior, the trunk lining and interior, as well as electrical on the right side of the vehicle. Sick feeling....uggh.

I felt duped since the Carfax came back clean and of course the salesperson never mentioned it when asked (maybe didn't know but I do have a hard time believing this). Although I felt betrayed to some degree, I also felt good about the car since the accident occurred 74k miles back and there were no further issues with the car or anything related to that part of it. It was later listed as Certified by the second dealer.

I wanted to share this story hoping that other potential vehicle buyers will question the Carfax report and its validity. A full service history should be requested if it is available before signing the bottom line and driving away.

Go to the Yellow Pages and look up autobody shops. You'll find lots of them. And they are all busy. Cars get bumped and damaged every day, and it's nothing to get upset about. Both of my Lexus had previous damage, well repaired. Neither car has any faults.

You're right, it was some time ago and there are no issues.

So be happy with the car.

That happens all the time, hey enjoy the car, it was just a tailight...no big deal...That could happen at your next trip to the store....in the parking lot. Enjoy your wheels, keep the maintenance up and have fun.

........Sick feeling....uggh.

........I felt duped .......I felt betrayed...............

Relax, its just a car. There are far more important things in life. Enjoy it as a nice ride but that is all it is.

I've only just got mine back on the road after a front end shunt and body shop repairs ( panels repaired not replaced)

So pleased to finally get back behind the wheel and enjoy the Lexus quality once again.

........Sick feeling....uggh.

........I felt duped .......I felt betrayed...............

Relax, its just a car. There are far more important things in life. Enjoy it as a nice ride but that is all it is.

You and the others are absolutely right. It is just a car. The feelings I felt were the initial feelings I had when reading the information.

I STILL love the car, and plan to enjoy it for years to come.

I mean, I think you really have to expect that when you buy a 7 year old car, at some point its going to have had some sort of minor bodywork...or its going to need bodywork that you'll have to do after buying it if you want it to be in good shape. As careful as I am with my cars, I have never had a car past 5 years old that didn't at some point have a bumper replaced or repainted, or something like that. What you don't want to find out is that the car has been in a serious accident, and it doesn't sound like this one has been.

Carfax is looking for serious accidents that seriously effect the value or safety of the car...and thats not what this was IMHO. For instance the bumper repairs and such that I've had done, our Prius was hail damaged and the whole car was PDR'd at a cost of $2500...none of that ever showed up on a Carfax.

I mean, I think you really have to expect that when you buy a 7 year old car, at some point its going to have had some sort of minor bodywork...or its going to need bodywork that you'll have to do after buying it if you want it to be in good shape. As careful as I am with my cars, I have never had a car past 5 years old that didn't at some point have a bumper replaced or repainted, or something like that. What you don't want to find out is that the car has been in a serious accident, and it doesn't sound like this one has been.

I had an Infiniti for over 11 years (the car before this one) with no accidents or fenderbenders of any sort. I am not wrong to think that a car can be 7 years old without damage.
Carfax is looking for serious accidents that seriously effect the value or safety of the car...and thats not what this was IMHO. For instance the bumper repairs and such that I've had done, our Prius was hail damaged and the whole car was PDR'd at a cost of $2500...none of that ever showed up on a Carfax.

It's good to know this about Carfax. I've never purchased a used car before this one in over 23 years. It was a new experience for me, and a learning one at that.

Everyone can relax..I'm fine. B)

The only thing you should be upset about is the fact you did not know about it before the purchase so that you could have used it as an additional bargaining chip. :lol:

Congrats on your purchase. Enjoy! :cheers:

I had an Infiniti for over 11 years (the car before this one) with no accidents or fenderbenders of any sort. I am not wrong to think that a car can be 7 years old without damage.

I think you were very lucky, and that you can't expect that everyone else has the same experience. For instance the Lexus Certified Pre-Owned program will allow two body panels to be replaced and repainted on a car before they will deem it ineligible to be certified, and that doesn't include the bumper. So a CPO Lexus could have replaced front and rear bumpers, a new hood, and a new fender and still be certified with no disclosure of that damage to the consumer, because its considered "typical". I know for me, I drive 20,000 miles a year and somebody somewhere always backs into me, or bumps me at a red light, these things happen, they are repaired properly and the value and aesthetic appeal of the car are unaffected.

What you want to be concerned with when buying a used car is serious accidents where the frame or structural components of the vehicle had to be repaired. Cosmetic stuff, as picky as I am about cars I wouldn't care about as long as it was done right.