General Grabber Hts Tires

Rey, down here in San Diego, the saying goes.....

If you can afford to live in LA, you don't have to worry about the cost of maintaining your vehicle.

:lol: ......just kidding you, Rey! I have to be frugal with two kids in college.

Thank you Rey and RX for all your input and advice! Looks like I found my next set of tires! I look forward to switching to them soon and to experience the difference. I am moving from the OEM Goodyear Eagle RS-A so it will be a welcome change as you can suspect.

Gryphon got these tires too. He updated me yesterday with his opinion via email which I am pasting here to help out other folks:

Gryphon: "My feeling for the Paradas have not changed. I think that the handling is very good and they are definitely quiet. My driving has been mostly city with one 700 mile round trip. It is a bit soon to know much about wear but I would expect it to be quite good. No MPG change over the OEM tires."

And one last note, if anyone else here buys from Tire Rack, you can get 3.3% cash back here:

http://www.fatwallet.com/coupons-cash-back/The-Tire-Rack/

RX400h, which Big O did you end up using?

FYI, Discount Tire stores, at least in Arizona, will price match any online price and with a little persuasion will negotiate local sales tax versus shipping costs. It's a win-win for me as I love Discount Tire and their excellent service.

Thank you Rey and RX for all your input and advice! Looks like I found my next set of tires! I look forward to switching to them soon and to experience the difference. I am moving from the OEM Goodyear Eagle RS-A so it will be a welcome change as you can suspect.

Gryphon got these tires too. He updated me yesterday with his opinion via email which I am pasting here to help out other folks:

Gryphon: "My feeling for the Paradas have not changed. I think that the handling is very good and they are definitely quiet. My driving has been mostly city with one 700 mile round trip. It is a bit soon to know much about wear but I would expect it to be quite good. No MPG change over the OEM tires."

And one last note, if anyone else here buys from Tire Rack, you can get 3.3% cash back here:

http://www.fatwallet.com/coupons-cash-back/The-Tire-Rack/

RX400h, which Big O did you end up using?

I used the one off of Scripps Poway Parkway and gave them a good review in the Tirerack website.

Dave

FYI, Discount Tire stores, at least in Arizona, will price match any online price and with a little persuasion will negotiate local sales tax versus shipping costs. It's a win-win for me as I love Discount Tire and their excellent service.

This is what I was told as well. Unfortunately, what they tell you and what they do is not always the same thing here in California. I have bought tires from them many times over the years but when a sales guy tells me he'll call be right back and doesn't do so for a day and a half, I tend to buy elsewhere. That was in addition to their renegging on the price match offer.

I got my price:

# Price Total

4 Tires 666.00

4 Install 64.00

4 Enviro 7.00

Tax 58.28

Grand Total 795.28

I got Discount Tire to match Tirerack.com after freight charges, which all in all isn't really much of a price match considering I get hit on the taxes (probably a good thing to help pay for our state's debt burden anyway). In the end I'm still paying the same as what Dave paid going through TireRack so all is well with me. Plus I don't really want to spend the time to haggle a couple more dollars off--rather spend my time on the beach. B)

Thank you all again for your help! I will give an update after a couple thousand miles.

The bottom line is that you did even better than I did. :cheers: The Discount Tire in my area gave me an out-the-door price of about $830, so I saved more than a few bucks by going to the Tirerack. I guess it all depends upon the particular Discount tire you go to.

I too am considering the General Grabber tires for my 08 400h but in summer tire form. I would like to purchase new rims for the summer tire and keep the winter tires on the original rim. I called my Lexus dealer Boston area, and he quoted me $4800 for new rims ( I wanted the chrome version).

My question to you is it ok to buy rims from say Tire Rack or do I need the original stock rims for the " weight" of the car. The dealer service department made a big deal of that. Is he full of it???

I also found what I believe to be stock chrome rims on Lextasy for 1,900. Do you think these are worth it? http://www.lextasy.com/Lexus-RX400h-Factory-Chrome-Wheels.htm

Many thanks,

Karen

I just had lunch with a buddy...I told him that I got new tires, Yokohama Parada Spec X...and he said he got exactly the same thing for his Infinity FX35! We both independently picked the same exact tire. He has had his for about 3,000 miles and just loves them. Oh, by the way... our car feels nicer than the Infinity.

I too am considering the General Grabber tires for my 08 400h but in summer tire form. I would like to purchase new rims for the summer tire and keep the winter tires on the original rim. I called my Lexus dealer Boston area, and he quoted me $4800 for new rims ( I wanted the chrome version).

My question to you is it ok to buy rims from say Tire Rack or do I need the original stock rims for the " weight" of the car. The dealer service department made a big deal of that. Is he full of it???

I also found what I believe to be stock chrome rims on Lextasy for 1,900. Do you think these are worth it? http://www.lextasy.com/Lexus-RX400h-Factory-Chrome-Wheels.htm

Many thanks,

Karen

How about these from the Tire Rack?

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/results.jsp?filterSize=18&filterFinish=Chrome&filterBrand=All&filterWeight=All&autoMake=Lexus&autoModel=RX400h&autoYear=2008&autoModClar=&sort=Brand&filterNew=All&filterSpecial=false

They are listed specifically for a 2008 RX400h, are chrome-plated and cost quite a bit less than the quotes you received. Although there are only three in stock, you can always ask when more are due to arrive.

Many thanks,

Karen

How about these from the Tire Rack?

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/results.jsp?filterSize=18&filterFinish=Chrome&filterBrand=All&filterWeight=All&autoMake=Lexus&autoModel=RX400h&autoYear=2008&autoModClar=&sort=Brand&filterNew=All&filterSpecial=false

They are listed specifically for a 2008 RX400h, are chrome-plated and cost quite a bit less than the quotes you received. Although there are only three in stock, you can always ask when more are due to arrive.

Wow, those are the exact rims I have in my save cart at Tire Rack. You're good. So there won't be a problem with "weight" or whatever that meant if I get these?

Thank you

• 3 years later...

The top five (recommended) Consumer Reports picks for "All Season Truck" tires are:

1. Michelin LTX M/S2

2. Michelin X Radial LT2

3. Continental CrossContact LX20

4. Michelin Latitude Tour HP

5. Michelin Latitude Tour

I am not sure what each tire's speed rating is. I believe OEM is "V"-rated.

Recommended V-rated all-season tires are:

1. Continental Pure Contact

3. Michelin Primacy MXV4

Check to verify proper load rating

• Like 1

RX400h, thanks as usual! I really liked my Paradas as well as was considering just buying them again. I've had some close calls of having to swerve around objects or slamming on my brakes, I'm very confident that my OEM Goodyear Eagle RS-A tires that came with the car would not have handled those maneuvers as well.

Since you sent this list over, I might as well research the alternatives. If I find anything profound, I'll be sure to report back to this thread!

I did my research and I felt the Paradas would suit me the best for another round of tires. Since I already had them, I know what I'm getting and I'm also in desperate need to replace them soon. I can see how worn out my current set is every time I park.

I was considering the Bridgestone Dueler H/L 422 Ecopias but decided I liked the Paradas' tread pattern better. My intuition is that the Paradas have less channels and since I live in Sunny SoCal, I figured more contact with the road for better handling would be my preference versus the channels on the Ecopias that might help in rain/snow (and maybe the channels would even help with rolling resistance by creating less drag and better MPGs) but less traction in dry conditions.

All I know is that I was quite happy with my Paradas (moved from the Eagle RS-As so anything was better than those OEM tires) except for the last few thousand miles. I'm getting them again from Discount Tire for $825 installed including all applicable CA taxes, fees, waste, etc.

I only put a $20 deposit down though so if anyone here can convince me otherwise, I would totally look into getting something else. This thread is what originally lead me to getting the Paradas to being with.

Btw, I calculated the ACTUAL MPG averages of my OEMs (22.93 avg MPG) to the Paradas (22.54 avg MPG). One slight difference is that I was using premium gas every other oil change with the OEMs until after the second oil change using premium when I decided I had enough data to calculate that premium was a waste of money--nominal increase in MPGs (0.05 MPGs extra on premium) but definitely not enough to warrant the extra cost per gallon. Looks like the Paradas fared slightly worst in MPGs.

Don't know about Maseace, but I am looking for even longer tire life. The Parada's tire wear was below 500 however the Bridgestone were like over 620....Maybe a few more miles...However the Parada's are exceptional for traction and reasonably quiet.

• Like 1

Don't know about Maseace, but I am looking for even longer tire life. The Parada's tire wear was below 500 however the Bridgestone were like over 620....Maybe a few more miles...However the Parada's are exceptional for traction and reasonably quiet.

Good to hear your reasons. When you end up getting your new set and putting some miles on them, please do update us with your opinion on them!

Check out the Continental PureContact with EcoPlus - These will be my next set of tires on the 400h. I currently have the Paradas.

Maseace, any reason why you're planning to make a switch? Just curious.

The Paradas got louder after a year or two, and the treadwear is not that great. Traction is very good wet or dry, however. The Continentals have DWS technology for great traction in any weather, a higher treadwear rating (700 vs 420), and I have some Continantal DWS tires on my other car and really like them.

• Like 1