General Grabber Hts Tires

Well, as much as I enjoy researching tires (and following this thread), I came across a very very slightly used set of 4 Michelin Energy MXV4 S8 in 235/55/18 (the MXV4 model was the OE tire on my RX400h). Previous owner had just bought them and then put winters on his car this past winter. Unfortunately (for him, fortunately for me) the car was written off in an accident with the winter tires on, and his loss is now my gain. One of the tires still has the big sticker on it (never installed, as he had a non repairable flat on one of his tires, put his winters on and then bought this one new tire to replace it).

I know the MXV4 doesn't get rave reviews, but one thing I'm happy about is that I can now include my full size spare (which also has an MXV4 on it) in my rotation pattern. The previous owner of my RX had never done that with the full size spare. These tires should last me quite a few years, since I use winter tires as well and can spread my mileage between both sets, plus I'm rotating five instead of four.

Forgot to mention, I paid $80 a piece, which is ridiculously cheap.

Well done! Sounds like a st (oops!) d eal to me. Enjoy the ride!

Rey,

I just scanned the Grabber HTS reviews on TireRack and it seems (to me) an inordinate amount of people had trouble with balance. Doesn't sound good in that respect.

Nope...still best tire...I will be getting them within a year. Every tire I have researched...actually every product there are always some issues people have had but this tire...MORE pepople have loved them. So, it's STILL the best tire for me.

Well, thanks for all the info...it seems that you are right, there have been some issues with balancing on the Generals...so right now I put the Yokohama AVID ENVigors at the top. 255/55/18. I WILL NOT go to the small size again....

Well, thanks for all the info...it seems that you are right, there have been some issues with balancing on the Generals...so right now I put the Yokohama AVID ENVigors at the top. 255/55/18. I WILL NOT go to the small size again....

Size envy...lol. I really liked the ENVigors, but couldn't pass up the deal I got on the MXV4 S8. I also had the chance to pick up four Michelin Latitude Tour HP in the 255 size, but unlike you, I wasn't comfortable going with the bigger size and when I finally decided to give it a go, they were already sold.

You know, they are just a little larger,3%...it's fine...I have never had any issues. They look better a bit wider and they are only 1/2" all around larger. 255-55-18.

• 2 weeks later...

Two months of researching later and this is still the best tire for me here in L.A.. I am still looking but this is a tire that is going to be tough to beat and any price, any make...I'll keep looking....Rey

These tires just came out in March, and were recommended to me by a Tire Store. Cheaper than the Latitude Tour...don't know how it compares to your favoured tire, and it's too new for many reviews, but the few that are posted at tirerack.com are positive.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Yokohama&tireModel=AVID+ENVigor+%28H%26V%29&partnum=355VR8ENV&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

I know an Accord is not an RX, but here are some positive reviews, with many remarking on the quietness of the tire

http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?t=44339

There have been several more reviews of this tire since I posted the original link..

http://www.tirerack.com/survey/SurveyComments.jsp?additionalComments=y&commentStatus=P&tireMake=Yokohama&tireModel=AVID+ENVigor+%28W%29&tirePageLocQty=#

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=129

Thanks, these are on the top of my list now...the General Grabbers were getting too many people unhappy with balance....these seem to be better for me here in L.A.. Thanks for all of the posts...I still think that I have about a year left on my Toyos...which have been fine but I like variety. Rey

I just had a fairly lengthy talk with Larry at the Tirerack. He explained that if you don't rotate your tires by 5000 miles, the wear pattern could be really tough to overcome. This may be the cause of our noisy Alenzas. Anyway, I asked him which tires he would recommend for the RX400h and after reviewing a slew of data, he selected the Yokohama Prada Spec-X. It should be a higher-performance tire than the Michelin Lattitude and Bridgestone Alenza, but should also be very quiet and provide a comfortable ride at the same time. We will see when I pick some up within the next 6 months or so.

Dave

Two months of researching later and this is still the best tire for me here in L.A.. I am still looking but this is a tire that is going to be tough to beat and any price, any make...I'll keep looking....Rey

These tires just came out in March, and were recommended to me by a Tire Store. Cheaper than the Latitude Tour...don't know how it compares to your favoured tire, and it's too new for many reviews, but the few that are posted at tirerack.com are positive.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Yokohama&tireModel=AVID+ENVigor+%28H%26V%29&partnum=355VR8ENV&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

I know an Accord is not an RX, but here are some positive reviews, with many remarking on the quietness of the tire

http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?t=44339

There have been several more reviews of this tire since I posted the original link..

http://www.tirerack.com/survey/SurveyComments.jsp?additionalComments=y&commentStatus=P&tireMake=Yokohama&tireModel=AVID+ENVigor+%28W%29&tirePageLocQty=#

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=129

Thanks, these are on the top of my list now...the General Grabbers were getting too many people unhappy with balance....these seem to be better for me here in L.A.. Thanks for all of the posts...I still think that I have about a year left on my Toyos...which have been fine but I like variety. Rey

The Yokohama Parada Spec X is sounding really great to me right now....I read up on these and sure enough, the seem great. Thanks!

You're welcome, Rey!

I really enjoy talking to those guys and gals at Tirerack - no slackers work at that place; they seem to be all very knowledgeable.

Dave

Yes Dave, I have been looking into this, as you know, for almost a year now...it's been fun actually...and I think in about six months I'll know just what to get...but now, it might just be the Parada...the only thing is that I would have to come down to the original OEM 235/55tire size...which will be fine...I like the slightly larger 255/55 but it's a small difference. The Parada, at least from what I have been able to find out, doesn't come in the 255/55/18" that I have on my car now. Thanks again, Rey

I think it feels a little better but to me, it looks so much better...remember, it is just a wee bit bigger...only 1/2" all around but when you see it side by side with another RX...the slightly larger tire is a better fit. All that being said, if I like the Yokohama Parada Spec X tires when I am ready to buy...I will go down in size since the Paradas don't come in the preferred 255/55/18". No biggie...the tires that I have now look GREAT...they are Toyo Proxes STs (40k miles on them now)...maybe it's that they are wider that makes the 255/55 look so much...TONS better. Just personal preference, that's all...like shoes....

I think it feels a little better but to me, it looks so much better...remember, it is just a wee bit bigger...only 1/2" all around but when you see it side by side with another RX...the slightly larger tire is a better fit. All that being said, if I like the Yokohama Parada Spec X tires when I am ready to buy...I will go down in size since the Paradas don't come in the preferred 255/55/18". No biggie...the tires that I have now look GREAT...they are Toyo Proxes STs (40k miles on them now)...maybe it's that they are wider that makes the 255/55 look so much...TONS better. Just personal preference, that's all...like shoes....

I had done a bunch of research a while back, I was unhappy with the OEM Michelins. That unhappiness was confirmed when I took the 400h out on a recent rainy day. They were very lose and would spin with relatively light pedal input. Last winter I had a "scary" ride on hard packed snow with some ice. The 400h is not a great car in slippery conditions (even with AWD, which is a joke on this car), good tires are critical. My research (mostly at Tirerack) was leading me to the Yokohama Parada Spec X. I will put new shoes on this car before winter. I am leaning toward the Paradas. They have been ranked #1 in the street/sport truck all-season category for a long time.

The other option at the top of the list is the Continental ExtremeContact DWS. They replaced the Continental ContiExtremes. I had the ContiExtremes on my Audi S6 wagon and I currently have them on my BMW 330Cic. In slippery conditions the ContiExtremes were amazing on the Audi (best A/S for snow ever), probably not the best choice for the BMW, General Exclaim UHP's would have been better. The best-in-class Audi Quatro AWD system probably had something to do with that.

For me (and the 400h), it will be the the Paradas or ExtremeContacts. The Paradas are currently in the lead. If you don't have to deal with snow, consider the General Exclaim UHP's for the 400h.

Sorry for my verbosity, just trying to help.

If you have to deal with lots of snow/ice/cold, consider a dedicated winter tire (mounted on their own set of rims if you can manage it). Now, for light snow conditions, a lot of tire manufacturers have an 'all weather' tire that is similar to an all season, but meets the criteria to get the snowflake/mountain symbol (a regular all season tire does not). The following tires spring to mind, though I'm sure their might be more from different companies now..

Nokian WR, Goodyear TripleTred, Yokohama W.drive, and Continental ExtremeContact DWS.

If you have to deal with lots of snow/ice/cold, consider a dedicated winter tire (mounted on their own set of rims if you can manage it). Now, for light snow conditions, a lot of tire manufacturers have an 'all weather' tire that is similar to an all season, but meets the criteria to get the snowflake/mountain symbol (a regular all season tire does not). The following tires spring to mind, though I'm sure their might be more from different companies now..

Nokian WR, Goodyear TripleTred, Yokohama W.drive, and Continental ExtremeContact DWS.

Great info from everybody...I think I am going to get either of the Yokohamas, right now the Paradas Spec Xs are in the lead...even though I will have to get used to the slightly smaller tire again...which is fine...snow? I have heard of it, seen movies with snow....not a concern for me here in L.A. nor am I the adventurous type and go look for the stuff. This in itself makes buying tires easier for me. Moderate temps year round. Thanks for all of the help, I never would have known about the Generals, or Alenzas or the Yokohamas....Rey in LA

• 5 months later...

I just bought the Yokohama Parada-Xs about one month ago and have nothing but high-praise for them. They are very quiet and dispense with water like it wasn't there. handling is excellent - highly recommended!

I just bought the Yokohama Parada-Xs about one month ago and have nothing but high-praise for them. They are very quiet and dispense with water like it wasn't there. handling is excellent - highly recommended!

Thanks for the update! Any difference in MPG? What tires did you have before? Also, what area or conditions are you mostly driving in?

I live in San Diego so I'm looking for something like RXREY but probably won't go wider to the 255s like him now that gas is so much more.

Thanks for the update! Any difference in MPG? What tires did you have before? Also, what area or conditions are you mostly driving in?

I live in San Diego so I'm looking for something like RXREY but probably won't go wider to the 255s like him now that gas is so much more.

I just got my Yokohama Parada Spec X tires put on...they seem really great...of course this is only my second day! I did drop down again to 235/55 and each tire is 4lb lighter...my MPG jumped up from 24s to 26 after I did the ISC reset..no exaggeration. I started with the higher MPG until my battery was replaced and all of a sudden my mgps went down...now, thanks to this forum I now know why. Anyway, the reviews on the Yoko Paradas has been so,so high that I could not resist. I'll keep everyone posted...reminding everyone that I live in Socal where weather is never an issue and I don't drive to anywhere where the weather is a factor...don't ski,etc.

I just got my Yokohama Parada Spec X tires put on...they seem really great...of course this is only my second day! I did drop down again to 235/55 and each tire is 4lb lighter...my MPG jumped up from 24s to 26 after I did the ISC reset..no exaggeration. I started with the higher MPG until my battery was replaced and all of a sudden my mgps went down...now, thanks to this forum I now know why. Anyway, the reviews on the Yoko Paradas has been so,so high that I could not resist. I'll keep everyone posted...reminding everyone that I live in Socal where weather is never an issue and I don't drive to anywhere where the weather is a factor...don't ski,etc.

Cool. Thanks for the update! The Paradas are at the top of the list. I live in SD so I'm in the same position as you in terms of driving conditions.

Mind if I ask how much you paid and where you bought them from?

Cool. Thanks for the update! The Paradas are at the top of the list. I live in SD so I'm in the same position as you in terms of driving conditions.

Mind if I ask how much you paid and where you bought them from?

I got them at Discount Tires for $187 each. You can price shop but I like the convenience of where the store is at. I saw them on Tire Rack for a lot less but with shipping and waiting for them to ship, I am not sure if they would be cheaper but shop around. Discount Tire had them the day after I asked for them. I don't like to wait so it was worth it for me. Rey

I too, live in San Diego and as you know, we've been getting our fair share of rain, lately. The Paradas have handled that with ease. I was running Bridgestone Alenzas, which were very good tires up to 30,000 miles when they started humming. Perhaps I waited a bit too long to rotate them (6000 miles or so) - don't know, but the noise was driving me crazy.

I normally buy my tires at Discount Tires and initially, they said they would match the Tirerack's price. However, they later told me they could not but then told me they would check stock and get back to me. A day and a half later, (too late)they did. I ordered from Tirerack (direct ship to Big O tires) and paid the following:

Tires: $640

Shipping: $60

Mount and balance: $58

Lifetime balance & rotation: $40

Total cost: $798

Dave

I too, live in San Diego and as you know, we've been getting our fair share of rain, lately. The Paradas have handled that with ease. I was running Bridgestone Alenzas, which were very good tires up to 30,000 miles when they started humming. Perhaps I waited a bit too long to rotate them (6000 miles or so) - don't know, but the noise was driving me crazy.

I normally buy my tires at Discount Tires and initially, they said they would match the Tirerack's price. However, they later told me they could not but then told me they would check stock and get back to me. A day and a half later, (too late)they did. I ordered from Tirerack (direct ship to Big O tires) and paid the following:

Tires: $640

Shipping: $60

Mount and balance: $58

Lifetime balance & rotation: $40

Total cost: $798

Dave

That's great Dave, I spent well over $900!