New No. 1. Ford Sales Top Gm, Toyota

The G Man

Ford has always been a great car mfgr. My issue with them has been more about styling than anything. It looks like they are finally getting the message.

Ford has always been a great car mfgr. My issue with them has been more about styling than anything. It looks like they are finally getting the message.

The Mustang is a great example of this. I've been toying with the notion of getting a 2010 GT. I looked at some of the older (2005-2009) ones and the interior is just garbage compared to the 2010. Ford seems to have really stepped up the build quality and design. I think GM has done the same with the new Equinox and Camaro but they are still Government Motors...

I just won $100 from a buddy over this new ranking! Oct. 2008, playing golf in Arizona with associates. Guy in my cart asked me what stock I would buy today. I said "buy as much Ford as you can." He thought I was crazy. I bet him Ford would be the one to rise from the ashes first, and would become the challenger to Toyota. He said "you're nuts." I said "bet you $100 bucks that when the dust begins to settle, Ford will be on top." Well, #1 doesn't get any more "on top".:cheers:

He called me yesterday about this. He said "how did you know this would happen?" I said "I didn't. But with Mazda and Volvo under thier wings, and the fact they were the only Motown 3 not taking government cheese, they had all the breathing room and in-house resources to make the moves and changes the fastest." I also added "Ford requires their Jr. Executives to spend 3 years at Mazda to learn their automotive building culture before moving up the ladder. Can't argue with an American car company wanting to learn the DNA of their chief rival."

They taped Mazda's design team, and Volvo's legendary frames. Our 2007 Mazda 3GT we use to have had a Ford 2.3 engine/transmission. It was a perfect match. The styling was, and in my opinon, still is, one of the best of that segment on the road. But, the true gem of that little car, was the ride characteristics. It was built upon the baby volvo frame, and it showed. Out on the highway, it was fantastic. I would have no problems buying another as a third car "too small for me as a primary car." I will admit, Ford cars sure are catching my eye a lot more these days. I love what they've done with the head lights and tail lights of that midsize sedan they've got out "I can't think of the name at the moment". And their new Focus looks amazing! Anyone ever see Leno's primetime show and his ripoff of Top Gear's track segment in the new Focus? That car was beautiful! Top Gear recently reviewed the new Focus, and LOVED it!!

Our 2005 Jaguar S-Type sedan is approximately 35% Ford heritage. It's twin brother is the Lincoln LS sedan of the same era. The S-Type's engine started out as the venerable Ford Duratech block built in Cleveland, then Jaguar imported it and added variable valve timing, twin intake manifold tuner valves, and some other special tweaks to give it additional horsepower and performance as well as highway fuel economy that the Lincoln LS can't match. The S-Type uses quite a number of electronic components from Denso and NGK as well. A true "global" automobile in every sense of the word. Ford's approach to constantly improving quality in the middle of the decade when this S-Type was built really shines through. It's been a pleasure for me to maintain and for my wife to drive thus far and if it holds up like I think it will, we'll keep it in our stable for quite a while. I believe that Ford's ownership ultimately saved Jaguar from extinction. A lot of long-time Jaguar owners resent Ford's involvement in their marque, but without it I doubt if Jaguar could have survived....

Ford is also hiring folks again. They've hired a bunch of folks here in Chicago to build the new Explorer. You know what folks, I think it would be nice to send them a "congrats", if you're so inclined. I went to ford.com, found the "contact us" tab at the bottom, and sent "corporate" a nice little email telling them they've made this American very proud! Lots of hard working folks there, making tough decisions over the past couple of years, and I think they've earned a few "way to go Big Blue!"

Finally, something to feel good about 'round here!!

That is awesome! CEO Mulally is on a roll. Fords just got it right over the past couple of years with a unique line of cars that are stylish, high tech, and have great quality. This really makes me want to buy a Ford next!

The Mustang is a great example of this. I've been toying with the notion of getting a 2010 GT. I looked at some of the older (2005-2009) ones and the interior is just garbage compared to the 2010. Ford seems to have really stepped up the build quality and design. I think GM has done the same with the new Equinox and Camaro but they are still Government Motors...
I really don't think the '05-'09 interior is bad at all, maybe it's because I've seen how horrid the '94-'04 interior was. When I sat in the '10 Mustang, it felt a little narrow in the hip room, so I'm a bit partial to the more spacious '05-'09...that and the fantastic experience my sister has had with her '07 -- the only problem she's had in 50k miles was a burnt tail light bulb!

I know this is a Lexus forum, but I have to say I am glad an American car company is once again competitive. I had a Ford Mustang in college 25 years old, when that car was 2 years old, the interior started to fall apart. The power train was still in good shape, but like many American cars build in that era, everything else was subpar. I swore I would never buy another American car again after the Mustang. Fast forward 25 years, I am now considering the Ford Taurus and the Lincoln MKS as my next car among others. It has been a long time since any American cars have been on my shopping list. Like many others, if all thing are equal, I would rather buy American than foreign.

• 2 months later...

We purchased a used 06 Mustang GT conv. recently. We love the car, a blast to drive and to listen to the sounds of the exhaust. The stiling was the main selling point with us and the V8 also. Made in America will always get a nod if I feel the quality is there!

If Fords made today are still holding up 10 years from now then i'll change my mind about Ford's quality... I've sat in a few newer Fords and i still don't understand why people are saying their quality has improved. :blink:

YAY!!! I knew they would with the way GM went and the HUGE improvements FORD has been doing thru the years and changing their styling.... I told someone this 2 years ago and they said YEAH WHATEVER! ... Boy should of put $$$ on it.... I happen to LOVE THE NEW TAURUS and the ammenities that come on that care compared to the more expensive ACURA TL, LEXUS,BMW and even Benz... U get a lot of car! The fusion has been top rank in its class, Focus has done well...and the RETURN of the 5.0 with the Coyote Motor.... I am loving it as a Ford fan.... :cheers:

If Fords made today are still holding up 10 years from now then i'll change my mind about Ford's quality... I've sat in a few newer Fords and i still don't understand why people are saying their quality has improved. :blink:

IMO seems u r a hard core LEX owner for quite some time... If You want FULL luxury that compares...Try the Tuarus SHO... Then scream lack of quality... But pls do not compare a focus with a ES, GS or even a IS... Apples and oranges and totally different classes... No disrespect... You are just not stating where you seem to NOT see their improvements or year mk and model as a example and compared to WHAT? For a example I am making... PONY cars... CAMARO was best...in speed ONLY! Mustang rt behind it with a lot less HP and smaller displacement... almost 1 sec or LESS begind...NOT BAD! vs the BIG SS version of Camaro and the regular 4.6 GT... ;) as for the rest......... Mustang was the best in all other fields and deemed as BEST BANG FOR THE BUCK... Not to mention they followed with a 300hp V6 Mustang version.... LOL

But... at the end... ur opinion is valid... and mines also... CAR is what brings us all here in the first place... B)

You mean the $40k taurus? :blink:

Yes maybe a $40,000 Ford might have quality materials, but all of these qualities are lacking in Ford's remaining lineup.

Yes maybe a $40,000 Ford might have quality materials, but all of these qualities are lacking in Ford's remaining lineup.

I think I would buy a $40K Taurus SHO over a $40K Lexus ES350 any day of the week.

I think I would buy a $40K Taurus SHO over a $40K Lexus ES350 any day of the week.

The Taurus might be equipped pretty well but it's still a "Ford". For $40k they should have just called it a Lincoln. :wacko:

The top of the line Toyota Avalon can cost up to $40K as well, there is a very fine line now a days between a car company's top of the line econo brand and their entry level model of the luxury brand.

CUDLUK... U really need to check out FORD official website and check the test results vs LEXUS, BMW and ACURA Luxury cars compared... U are obviously a FORD hater and don't have any proof of your statements and only driven by your opinion and dedication to the manufacture you love and stand by... Which is fine... But FORD has put their $$$ where their mouth is.......... and THAT my friend does not get any more BLACK & WHITE then that. Apples to Oranges ~ Facts to Opinions ~ Night to Day in my book... :cheers:

I am obviously a FORD fan but most of all a CAR GUY AND CAR LOVER first off... When someone has it...The have it... Hats off... #1 FORD! and this is not the first time... Trucks have been doing it for DECADES!!! proven... :geek:

No proof of my statements?? :blink: Where's yours??

My negative opinions of Ford come from the past 20+ years of lacking reliability and poor quality of materials. I know people who have Fords and i know what pieces of junk they are/have been in comparison with Toyota or Honda.

People are saying the Fords being produced today are reliable, which i find interesting since reliability is measured with TIME. Unless someone has gone into the future i don't understand how anyone would know how reliable these new Fords are.

Take a 10yr old Toyota Camry and 10 year old Ford Taurus and compare the reliability and present state. My cousin has a 2000 Ford Explorer, garage kept, all services done. It's covered in rust, the thing rides like a tank (not in a good way), the interior is falling apart. It's a piece of crap. Look at any 5+ year old Ford on the road and you can clearly see they're crap.

I've sat and driven in newer Fords, and i'm sorry but there's nothing that tells me they're going to be more reliable than their previous ancestors. They might have nice technology and "look" nice, but underneath for all we know it's the same unreliable frame as the older models. There's NOTHING in the newer models that would imply greater reliability.

The base 2010 Taurus is $20k. Put in a larger engine and a few other pieces of technology, and it's $40k. Now tell me how this $40k Taurus will be more reliable than the $20k Taurus... :blink: $20k is all your getting towards reliability, no matter what Taurus you get. The extra $20k goes towards the overpriced American gadgets.

I'm not a Ford "hater", it just amazes me when i hear people talking about how much more reliable the new Fords are with no data to back it up.

Like i've said before, in 10 years if the Fords produced today end up being as reliable as the comparable Toyota or Honda... then i will change my mind. But until then, all i have is their history.

I'm not a Ford "hater", it just amazes me when i hear people talking about how much more reliable the new Fords are with no data to back it up.

I think most people are saying how much better the quality is on the new Ford, not how relaible they are. Ford have always been pretty reliable to start with, there might be some minor issues like interior panels not holding up after some time, but for the most part, the power train is pretty good.

Really well deserved IMHO. Ford has really been building some great cars over the last couple years, qualitywise thats just a fact. Obviously you're seeing the results.

As for the Taurus SHO...I mean...its a LOT of car. The ONLY thing that would keep me from buying one vs an ES350 is the brand issue. Its bigger, faster, has a lot more amenities. Its a really nice car. Still...for $40,000 the Lexus is going to have better resale and of course the prestige of the luxury brand. The Taurus is more car though.