Anyone Have A Picture Of The New Mats & Accelerator?

peteanello

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What was the recall notice 3 months ago...the floor mats I assume? They didn't do anything about it yet?

And you won't get a recall notice about the accelerator pedal...it does not effect your car.

:cheers:

What was the recall notice 3 months ago...the floor mats I assume? They didn't do anything about it yet?

And you won't get a recall notice about the accelerator pedal...it does not effect your car.

:cheers:

The PDF file didn't copy too well:

Dear Lexus Owner:

This notice is being sent to you in accordance with the requirements of the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act.

Lexus has decided that a defect which relates to molor vehicle safety exists in certain 2007 through certain 2010 model

year ES vehicles. The defect is the potential for an unsecured or incompatible driver's floor mat to intedere with the

accelerator pedal and cause it to get stuck in the wide open position. Lexus has determined that this defect does nol exist in

vehicles in which the driver side floor mat is compatible with the vehicle and properly secured.

Lexus is currently developing a campaign remedy and will notify you when it is ready. In the meantime, we are providing

important information regarding the issue and steps you may take in the interim.

Ulhalislbe risk?

A stuck open accelerator pedal may result in very high vehicle speeds and make it difficult to stop the vehicle, which could

cause a crash, serious injury or death.

!_l/Jratw_dl_texusde:

We will notify you again as soon as a campaign remedy is available for your vehicle.

What should you do?

We request that you take out any removable driver's floor mat and NOT replace it with any other floor mat until the

campaign remedy is ready and implemented on your vehicle.

In the evenl you choose not to take out your removable floor mat, Lexus strongly recommends that you ensure

that the correct floor mat is being used, that it is properly installed and secured, that it is not flipped over with the

bottom-side up, and that one floor mat is not stacked over another. Information on proper floor mat installation for your

vehicle is enclosed with this notification. Please visit http://www.lexus.com/floormats for information on other models

I can take a pic of my accelerator pedal. I just had the update done on mine this past Friday. I don't think they change the mats. I just contacted them and asked them to perform the following service alert:

Service Campaign 9LG:

SSC 9LG - 2007 THROUGH 2010 MY ES 350 POTENTIAL FLOOR MAT INTERFERENCE WITH ACCELERATOR PEDAL.

This is an important Safety Recall to make it less likely that an unsecured or incompatible driver's floor mat can interfere with the accelerator pedal. Please contact your authorized dealer to have this remedy performed.

I also asked them to do this one as well:

Service Campaign 9LH:

LSC 9LH - VARIABLE VALVE TIMING (VVT-I) OIL HOSE REPLACEMENT.

This is a Limited Service Campaign. Please contact your authorized Lexus dealer to schedule an appointment to replace the VVT-I oil hose with a newly designed one before March 31, 2013.

I can take a pic of my accelerator pedal. I just had the update done on mine this past Friday. I don't think they change the mats. I just contacted them and asked them to perform the following service alert:

Service Campaign 9LG:

SSC 9LG - 2007 THROUGH 2010 MY ES 350 POTENTIAL FLOOR MAT INTERFERENCE WITH ACCELERATOR PEDAL.

This is an important Safety Recall to make it less likely that an unsecured or incompatible driver's floor mat can interfere with the accelerator pedal. Please contact your authorized dealer to have this remedy performed.

Service Campaign 9LH:

This is a Limited Service Campaign. Please contact your authorized Lexus dealer to schedule an appointment to replace the VVT-I oil hose with a newly designed one before March 31, 2013.

Can drivers opt out from having their accelerator pedals reshaped and the floor reshaped as a consequence of this recall? Seems to me this issue only happens to very irresponsible and careless drivers who would stack up unsecured mats thus resulting in the stuck pedal scenario. I'd rather not have my brand new car have open-heart surgery to fix this when it isn't necessary if I can help it.

Service Campaign 9LG:

Service Campaign 9LH:

Can drivers opt out from having their accelerator pedals reshaped and the floor reshaped as a consequence of this recall? Seems to me this issue only happens to very irresponsible and careless drivers who would stack up unsecured mats thus resulting in the stuck pedal scenario. I'd rather not have my brand new car have open-heart surgery to fix this when it isn't necessary if I can help it.

I just ordered the new design all weather mats and will not get the pedal recall performed.

Like you said,there's no need if the mats are attached to the floor retention hooks.

Yeah, I don't really feel it is/was necessary but I went ahead and had it done anyway. It lloks like all they did was remove the pedal & grind off/round off a bit of the bottom of the pedal & reattach. Frankly I find it hard as HE** to even get the clips off to remove the mats to vacuum under neath, i really cant see how they can become lodged under the pedal in the first place if they are properly attached. I even have all weather rubber mats (Costco) that I put on top of my regular carpeted mats and they never shift around.

Yeah, I don't really feel it is/was necessary but I went ahead and had it done anyway. It lloks like all they did was remove the pedal & grind off/round off a bit of the bottom of the pedal & reattach. Frankly I find it hard as HE** to even get the clips off to remove the mats to vacuum under neath, i really cant see how they can become lodged under the pedal in the first place if they are properly attached. I even have all weather rubber mats (Costco) that I put on top of my regular carpeted mats and they never shift around.

... that's because the real issue here isn't with floor mats or accelerator pedals, but with the car's ECU computer. It's currently being discussed in the "general lexus discussions" section of the forum. http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...showtopic=62442

For the time being, if the "runaway lexus" problem happens to you, simply put the shifter in NEUTRAL and turn the ignition OFF.

I would leave the ignition on until you stop just to clarify..., to keep the power assist to the steering and brakes.

oh god true... i forgot about the electrical assist. I don't think you'd be able to turn the wheel more than 45 degrees with the ignition off :o

I had my 15K service done and 2 TSB's done at the same time...

they replaced the pedal and my 2 front thicker winter mats --with sleeker less ridged rubber mats --nicer ES logo in there.... so much snow and grit form the winter --saved me another job of cleaning them haha...

Also they replaced an oil line that i saw on a tsb posted on here (thank you to the poster___ lost thread)

I don't feel any worse/Better with the new pedal --had no issues with the old... But as my 16 year old is learning to drive (poor her first teaching car a lexus haha) I feel beeter getting the pedal replaced..

>>>

they replaced the pedal and my 2 front thicker winter mats --with sleeker less ridged rubber mats --nicer ES logo in there.... so much snow and grit form the winter --saved me another job of cleaning them haha...

<<<

OK, now I am confused. I thought it was established in another thread that the OFFICIAL mats that come with the 2010 ES 350 are the charcoal colored carpet floormats, not rubber. How is it that they replaced your 2 front mats with "sleeker less ridged rubber mats"??? Carpet mat or rubber mat?? Which one is *the* official mat???

The official mat is the carpeted mat. If you however have the rubber mats, that you paid additional for (you pay for the carpeted mats too, but all the cars have them) then they will replace it under warranty as well.

You can get the rubber mats...you just have to pay for them.

AWSW03ESS (and what SW03ES said)

I have my standard carpet mats pulled out in winter and put my winter mats in. I paid ~$100 or so for the winter rubber mats. So they just replaced the front 2 as they were in the car when i took it in.

regards

>>>

<<<

OK, now I am confused. I thought it was established in another thread that the OFFICIAL mats that come with the 2010 ES 350 are the charcoal colored carpet floormats, not rubber. How is it that they replaced your 2 front mats with "sleeker less ridged rubber mats"??? Carpet mat or rubber mat?? Which one is *the* official mat???

I have my standard carpet mats pulled out in winter and put my winter mats in. I paid ~$100 or so for the winter rubber mats. So they just replaced the front 2 as they were in the car when i took it in.

regards

>>>

<<<

I have mine scheduled for next week and my dealer said there is also a software update. is that true. Did they do something similar at your dealership.

No ---let me know what sware update ther are referring to when you take it in if you remember.

thks

regards

>>>

<<<

I have mine scheduled for next week and my dealer said there is also a software update. is that true. Did they do something similar at your dealership.

My friend just had her '09 serviced (5k miles) and said they shortened the accelerator pedal, removed some of the padding beneath the carpet and replaced it with a thinner type, also replaced the floor mats, and did a software upgrade. The software upgrade disables the accelerator once the brakes are applied (so you can't brake and accelerate at the same time), whether your foot is on the accelerator or not. This should preven unintended acceleration.

My friend just had her '09 serviced (5k miles) and said they shortened the accelerator pedal, removed some of the padding beneath the carpet and replaced it with a thinner type, also replaced the floor mats, and did a software upgrade. The software upgrade disables the accelerator once the brakes are applied (so you can't brake and accelerate at the same time), whether your foot is on the accelerator or not. This should preven unintended acceleration.

Thanks! Thats what I heard my dealer say but I was not sure as nowhere in the news does it say Lexus/Toyota is ready with the software update for the accelerator override. Toyata website news says it will be ready in December.

I second the sentiment of opting out of the accelerator 'cut' and mat replacement. I certainly don't want the padding 'thinned' from under my floor mats. The way the mats are secured by the hooks are fine IMO. Too bad Toyota is getting major grief these days, but I believe some of the fallout could have been prevented with better management decisions...... :rolleyes:

I second the sentiment of opting out of the accelerator 'cut' and mat replacement. I certainly don't want the padding 'thinned' from under my floor mats. The way the mats are secured by the hooks are fine IMO. Too bad Toyota is getting major grief these days, but I believe some of the fallout could have been prevented with better management decisions...... :rolleyes:

Yeah, can anyone confirm if we can opt out of having our 2010 ES 350 modified? I cannot see how the mat can interfere with the gas pedal. There is sooo much room between the bottom of the pedal and the top of the carpeted mat. Now, sure, if you stack up a bunch of mats you purchased from Walmart and you get into an accident because of it, then it's your problem.

I would, however, like for them to apply the software fix where if my gas pedal is depressed AND my brake pedal is also depressed, then it cuts off engine power.

I have a dealer appt Monday just for the software update.I told my service advisor I don't any pedal shaving and carpet padding thinning.My all weather mats are hooked to the floor retainers and there's no need for extra action.The software update is enough.

He said ok.

I contacted my dealer about setting up an appointment to get the software updated to turn the engine off when the brake AND the gas pedals are depressed at the same time. I told him I only want the software update but NOT to have my gas pedal modified/reshaped nor do I want the floor thinned. He replied, "Please note that the pedal and carpet modification has to be done as part of the recall."

So it looks like I do NOT have a choice. I can't opt out. :-( Anyone else got only the software update without the pedal and floor modification?