120k Mile Service

jmcohen23

Transmission is always a fair game but they generally work or don't. If it works properly I would be hesitant to touch it. Sludge build up in the engine is always a possibility but if you have been servicing it like regularly you should be O.K.

Regards, PK

taking '99 RX300 in for a 120k mile service. anything I should expect that would be outside the cost of the service (like tranny issues)? I have been following the mainantence schedule....

I just did the 90k on our '04 RX (big bucks). It sounds like Lexus adjusts the maintenance schedule as they continue to learn what is needed, what wears out and what doesn't. On our '04, spark plugs are changed at 120k (or maybe 130K....don't remember).

They didn't recommend changing the water pump, even though they replaced the timing belt. They said the water pumps lasts much longer.

Also, they no longer adjust the valves at major servicing like they used to. They said that only 5% of cars needed any kind of adjustment, so they no longer recommend it.

If you are going to keep the vehicle for some time, I would do whatever Lexus recommends (bring a fat wallet).

If you are going to keep the vehicle for some time, I would do whatever Lexus recommends (bring a fat wallet).

my only concern is that my wife took the car in today, so we'll see if that affects their "recommendations". someone did make a comment to her about her age, thinking that she was 12.

update on this....

they said that the car is in "surprisingly" great condition for a 1999 model.... the only extra work that they recommend is to replace the spark plugs and flush the drive-line fluids.

the biggest cost is the labor to remove the pletnum (sp?) assembly to replace the spark plugs. he claims that it takes about 3 hours.

Yep, those spark plugs can be changed without removing the plenum. It's a !Removed! of a job but with the right tools (socket wrench universal joints and a variety of extension lengths) and a contortionist's hands, it can be done. Some of us have done it (and hope to never have to do it again)....

so why did they need to remove the plenum?

the guy told me it takes about 3hrs, but in actually it took only 2 (and charged me for only 2), so that was nice - I guess.

he said that I'll make 200k miles easily - so long as continue my regular maintenance schedule of oil changes, etc....

he also mentioned that the 30k and 90k intervals are the big ones, but I don't recall paying more than $2k for my 90k service...

They want to remove the plenum to change your spark plugs because it drives up the cost of the job....

If you are paying $2,000 for ANY routine maintenance interval on this vehicle, I have a bridge across the street that I'd like to sell you....

They want to remove the plenum to change your spark plugs because it drives up the cost of the job....

If you are paying $2,000 for ANY routine maintenance interval on this vehicle, I have a bridge across the street that I'd like to sell you....

the 90k service had some other issues.... the base price was only a few hundred bucks...

• 1 year later...

so why did they need to remove the plenum?

the guy told me it takes about 3hrs, but in actually it took only 2 (and charged me for only 2), so that was nice - I guess.

he said that I'll make 200k miles easily - so long as continue my regular maintenance schedule of oil changes, etc....

he also mentioned that the 30k and 90k intervals are the big ones, but I don't recall paying more than $2k for my 90k service...

Dude,

I did my own plugs at 120,000 miles and I am not a mechanic. I am a little mechanically inclined so I attempted it myself. The front three plugs were as easy as 1-2-3, the rear three were a bit more of a pain in the !Removed!. You need two 2" long socket 3/8" extensions and a spark plug socket that will hold the plug as you lower it. I also used a stubby 3/8" flex ratchet. The job took me 3 hours w/o removing the plenum and I am not a mechanic. The plugs cost me $49.00 shipped to my door. $2 grand kind of seems steep to me too.