Front Brake Pad Lifespan

How are your front pads holding up? Our 43,000 mile 06 RX400h's pads are still okay, although I haven't taken a good look at them in many months. My 2700-lb Mazda's front pads lasted 36,000 miles, so I am very happy that a vehicle that weighs in at 4700 lbs can be still using the OEM pads after 43,000 miles.

Dave

According to a couple of magazine reviews, brake pad life expectancy is supposedly over 100,000 miles. Time will tell.

Tom

I'll buy that easily enough, as our 400h has over 40K & the front pads hardly look worn. If only the original tires (prior to the new Michelins) would have held up 1/2 as well.

Wow! That's good news. I just spent the most of my Saturday afternoon changing front and rear pads on my Mazda (the rear caliper pistons must be rotated into the cylinder bore using needlenose pliers - a time-consuming process). Having the factory service manual helps, but most of the procedure is common sense stuff. The next time I rotate the RX400h's tires, I'll take a better look at its calipers to see if this is something I'll tackle, myself. The last thing I'd want to see is popping spring clips or other hard-to-reassemble components.

Wow! That's good news. I just spent the most of my Saturday afternoon changing front and rear pads on my Mazda (the rear caliper pistons must be rotated into the cylinder bore using needlenose pliers - a time-consuming process). Having the factory service manual helps, but most of the procedure is common sense stuff. The next time I rotate the RX400h's tires, I'll take a better look at its calipers to see if this is something I'll tackle, myself. The last thing I'd want to see is popping spring clips or other hard-to-reassemble components.

I think the RX has a drum type parking brake built into the rear disc, so you won't have to worry about rotating the piston like on the Mazda (and other vehicles that use the caliper for the parking brake).

In the future, there is a tool you can use instead of fiddling around with needle nose pliers. Here's one - http://www.carparts.com/Brake-Tools/GP_200...22206_10618.car and here's a cheaper one - http://www.jegs.com/p/JEGS/JEGS-Caliper-Pi...757561/10002/-1.

I've used both - they both work, but the expensive one is much easier to use, especially if the caliper/piston is older and doesn't move too freely.

There was a time when the auto parts chains had brake tool kits that they loaned out (with a deposit) if you purchased their brake parts. They may still but I have not done a brake job in quite a few years.

Tom

I think the RX has a drum type parking brake built into the rear disc, so you won't have to worry about rotating the piston like on the Mazda (and other vehicles that use the caliper for the parking brake).

In the future, there is a tool you can use instead of fiddling around with needle nose pliers. Here's one - http://www.carparts.com/Brake-Tools/GP_200...22206_10618.car and here's a cheaper one - http://www.jegs.com/p/JEGS/JEGS-Caliper-Pi...757561/10002/-1.

I've used both - they both work, but the expensive one is much easier to use, especially if the caliper/piston is older and doesn't move too freely.

I know the first one would work, but the second one may not clear the front side of the caliper. Still, I have to admit that I would've never thought those tools were available. The good news is that my last brake job lasted 9+ years. Somehow, I doubt I'll have that 1989 Mazda that long. Maybe some day I'll replace it with an MX-5 (Miata)!

There was a time when the auto parts chains had brake tool kits that they loaned out (with a deposit) if you purchased their brake parts. They may still but I have not done a brake job in quite a few years.

Tom

Thanks, Tom; I probably should've asked when I was there (at the auto parts store) to buy the pads.

Just had Lexus check my brake pads and there is 7mm (70%) remaining on front as rear after 45K mi of not so gentel driving habbits. I get 21mpg because of my driving style.

Fantastic news! I'll bet few RX350 owners can't wait that long before replacing their brake pads!

• 3 weeks later...

I was told by the dealer that because of the regenerative braking system, the brake pads are only used at speeds below 10 mph. This results in extremely long brake pad life for the 400h over other non-hybrid RXs.

I was told by the dealer that because of the regenerative braking system, the brake pads are only used at speeds below 10 mph. This results in extremely long brake pad life for the 400h over other non-hybrid RXs.

Changed my front pads at about 70,000 miles.

Ron

Changed my front pads at about 70,000 miles.

Ron

Do you still have them? Did you measure the remaining pad thickness?

If my wear is any indication (approx 3mm per 45,000 mi) the pads on an RX400 should go to over 130K with 10% remaining.

I guess the pads' wear rate is directly related to the driving environment, since someone who travels more often in the city will most likely wear out their pads faster (fewer miles) than would a highway traveler.

I have 87000 miles on my 400H and hardly any wear. Looking forward to maybe 130 to 150K before changing. My driving style is equal in city and Hwy driving. Currently the overall mileage average is at 26.6 mpg, with the best I ever got was 32 mpg and the worse driving like I stoled it was 22 mpg.

• 2 weeks later...
I guess the pads' wear rate is directly related to the driving environment, since someone who travels more often in the city will most likely wear out their pads faster (fewer miles) than would a highway traveler.

My guess (from experience ... and from that of other hybrid drivers I've asked) is that pad wear is more related to driving "style" ... than highway vs "stop & go"-city driving environment. After all ... even in a regular ICE car, if you simply coast up to the red lights (anticipatory driving) in the city ... or drive slower on the freeway/highway where you don't have to brake for others in front of you ... then your breaks wear less. Now, put re-gen into that equation, and the anticipatory driver simply doesn't use the brakes as much.

btw, the pad & caliper maintenance is laid out in the pdf up in the sticky of this forum. Gawd ... I think it took me the better part of a day to blend all those pdf's into one giant adobe doc. Once again, a sincere "thank-you" dcfish, for those files

...somewhat true, but you have to admit that you are far more likely to have to apply the brakes, hard in the city (due to sudden yellow traffic lights and crazy motorists) than you are on a typical highway drive. I'm convinced that most of my brake pad wear originates in the city, especially since that's where all the steep hills are!

Dave

• 3 weeks later...
Just changed the original pads on my RX300 after 150,000 miles. :P

I know you don't care! I am lurking, testing the 400h waters, and couldn't resist.

What was the first time you changed them?

Tom

• 9 months later...

At my last servicing interval (85,000 miles) for my 2007 Rx 400h, the rep said brake pads were in "ok" shape but that both front and rear rotors HAVE TO BE CHANGED! The estimate for all 4 rotors was upwards of $1,500! I said i would get it done later and now i'm approaching the next servicing interval of 90,000 miles and considering replacing the rotors myself. Checked the replacement spares on a few online stores and everything included the cost is not more than $450-$500...

Is it usual for rotors to be replaced before the pads??

Also, i use the "B" mode to slow down.... may be that also is a contributing factor in extending the brake pads/rotors life... just a thought....

Gotta decide in the next couple of weeks to either do it myself or burn a hole in my pocket!!

Edited by 2007 Rx 400h

Did you ask WHY the rotors have to be changed? That is odd unless you live in Canada and have to deal with rock salt!

Another option is to have a trusted local shop mechanic change the rotors. I was going to change my Mazda's valve cover gasket until I found out what the local shop charges - a whopping $65 for labor. So I bought the gasket and had them do the change. Besides, my torque wrench's torque range is way too high for those valve cover bolts.

Did you ask WHY the rotors have to be changed? That is odd unless you live in Canada and have to deal with rock salt!

Another option is to have a trusted local shop mechanic change the rotors. I was going to change my Mazda's valve cover gasket until I found out what the local shop charges - a whopping $65 for labor. So I bought the gasket and had them do the change. Besides, my torque wrench's torque range is way too high for those valve cover bolts.

I live in New Jersey and see some snow every year if not for the last crazy winter when it was mad! May be that gives way to some salt scraping against the rotors because i love to take my 400h for a spin in the snow! :rolleyes:

The rep. at Lexus dealership said the the rotor is at the end of its lifecycle and is worn out.... so, the replacement... but i did not get the logic of replacing only the rotors and not the brakes because the pads "cling" onto the rotor to stop the car and i always thought the rotors were thicker than the pads! May be i'm wrong..

The rep. at Lexus dealership said the the rotor is at the end of its lifecycle and is worn out.... so, the replacement... but i did not get the logic of replacing only the rotors and not the brakes because the pads "cling" onto the rotor to stop the car and i always thought the rotors were thicker than the pads! May be i'm wrong..

This sounds like crap to me... probably just wants the money. There is no way a rotor can wear out before the pads. Not possible.

Get a second opinion.