Brake Job $800....what?

Lexus OEM low dust front pads. $49.95 each.

http://www.sewellpartsonline.com/parts_detail.asp?id=90160

Other brake parts. Found everything exept rotors.

Front

http://www.sewellpartsonline.com/assembly....06&year=168

Rear

http://www.sewellpartsonline.com/assembly....06&year=168

I don't know what all they intend to replace but I can't see $800 in parts. I expect the Goodyear guy buys the parts from the dealer at a small discount. That's not the way to go.

You need to ask him for a list of what he is replacing and post that here. If it's for all 4 rotors, and pads, it still a bit high, and he's not passing any savings on to you. That would still equal full retail. Stock rotors are retail $240.00 a set. Aftermarket EBC's or Power Slots (which are better in my opinion.) are $185.00 for a set. Pads as Bartkat listed are around $50. So the way I see it, if you buy the parts yourself, your at $575-$600. Which, isn't that bad compared to all other cars. If you do some digging and bargain shopping you should be able to save some bucks there also.

But, I don't think you should have to replace the rotors at 35k miles. You should be able to have them turned and new pads installed for a couple hundred bucks at most. I don't know what condition your rotors and pads are in, so I can't say for sure. But if you haven't damaged them in anyway, you should be ok.

You need to ask him for a list of what he is replacing and post that here. If it's for all 4 rotors, and pads, it still a bit high, and he's not passing any savings on to you. That would still equal full retail. Stock rotors are retail $240.00 a set. Aftermarket EBC's or Power Slots (which are better in my opinion.) are $185.00 for a set. Pads as Bartkat listed are around $50. So the way I see it, if you buy the parts yourself, your at $575-$600. Which, isn't that bad compared to all other cars. If you do some digging and bargain shopping you should be able to save some bucks there also.

But, I don't think you should have to replace the rotors at 35k miles. You should be able to have them turned and new pads installed for a couple hundred bucks at most. I don't know what condition your rotors and pads are in, so I can't say for sure. But if you haven't damaged them in anyway, you should be ok.

I appreciate all of your response and I will be checking around and asking him for a complete list tomorrow. I will re-post soon. Also I haven't damaged the rotors that I know of...not sure how I would with all normal wear and tear only. We just drive it as we would any normal car not using it for racing or anything special performance wise.....I

$1200 for tires? Did you price out alternatives to the OEM tires? I blew a tire on a pothole and needed a new one--Bridgestone Potenza RE092. The dealer was CHEAPER than all independent shops, and cheaper than Tire Rack when factoring shipping. It's a shame because there are better cheaper alternatives to those tires.

$1200 for tires? Did you price out alternatives to the OEM tires? I blew a tire on a pothole and needed a new one--Bridgestone Potenza RE092. The dealer was CHEAPER than all independent shops, and cheaper than Tire Rack when factoring shipping. It's a shame because there are better cheaper alternatives to those tires.

The OEM tires for the IS250 are waaaay too much tire for that car... you can do much cheaper with $150 tires that are still very performing for 99% of drivers...

The OEM tires for the IS250 are waaaay too much tire for that car... you can do much cheaper with $150 tires that are still very performing for 99% of drivers...

Not to burst your bubble, but $1200 is way too much for oem's or aftermarket. I remember the dealership quoted me a little under 800 for a set of oem's. I've personally switched over to Bridgeston RE960 and really love them. Much quieter then OEM's. But I won't provide a millage report since I got 32k mi out of the factory tires. And there was tread left.

Back to the topic, $800 is extremely high, even for a dealer job IMO. I think the alignment part is bs, especially if your car drives straight and tires show no signs of bad alignment. You said you had 21k miles? Then as far as rotors, I would leave them in there, eventually let them shave it done for evenness. As long as you don't go Ceramics, not a problem. But still shouldn't cost you that much. I'd figure you should be able to get into the $300-600 price range.

That's crazy - whoever had the car must have driven it hard. I had the front brakes (and rotors) replaced for free at 27K with the TSB (they said the rotors had uneven wear so they threw them in). And I am still on the original tires at 43,000.

I drive 85% highway.

That's crazy - whoever had the car must have driven it hard. I had the front brakes (and rotors) replaced for free at 27K with the TSB (they said the rotors had uneven wear so they threw them in). And I am still on the original tires at 43,000.

I drive 85% highway.

• 4 weeks later...

Just a clarification - the brake costs you guys are discussing is for 2 or 4? My dealer quoted me $575 per axle (over $1100 for all four wheels.) I can't tell from this discussion if that's reasonable (for a dealer of course) or a new high water mark.

I appreciate all of your response and I will be checking around and asking him for a complete list tomorrow. I will re-post soon. Also I haven't damaged the rotors that I know of...not sure how I would with all normal wear and tear only. We just drive it as we would any normal car not using it for racing or anything special performance wise.....I

It's strange. It appears for some reason that IS250 okie has gone back and edited thier posts. They had originally posted that they had a friend that owned an auto shop and was offfering them a friendly price to do a brake job. But when is250 okie came here to find out if it was a good deal or not, found out that maybe they didn't have such a good friend in the auto biz. I think the price was 800-1000 bucks. Something like that anyway.

• 3 years later...