96 Sc4 Or 94 Acura Legend Coupe.. Need Carfax

djspawn00

Who gets my $3k  

2 members have voted

1. 1. Acura or Lexus

• SC400
    • Acura Legend Coupe

I found a 96 SC400 with 109k that runs very well but has a horrible paint job. The interior looks a little suspicious because of a few broken panels but the seats are in alright condition. I test drove the car and the shifts were smooth, there were no strange noises, vibrations or clunks. The fluids were ok and the transmission fluid although a little dirty did not smell burnt or anything like that. The brakes felt a litte soft and the alighnment was off as the car pulled to the right. The owner wants $3250. Sounds like a great deal but I need to run a carfax on it first. Is there anything I missed that I should have inspected? The seller bought it at a dealer auction and apparently does this for a living.

The other car I looked at was a 94 Acura Legend with 75k, runs well same condition cosmetically as the SC.

Both cars are two doors, both are due for a timing belt and tune up, and both need a transmission fluid exchange. I know this site may be biased but what would you do? Both cars are also about the same price and the Legend includes a very nice audio system that I would part out to recover some of the cost.

If anyone has a carfax account and can check these vins out i'd appreciate it

JT8CH32Y9T0050702

JH4KA8270RC000315

Acura Legends have a widespread problem with headgasket failure. On a well-maintained car, it is probably a non-issue. But, it doesn't look like you know the maintenance history of either car. For that reason alone, I would choose the SC.

After observing a friend's experiences with a 1994 Legend, I also think the overall cost of ownership for the SC would be lower.

The Legend is a great car, but many of the parts are very expensive and seem to be difficult to find. And here in Kansas City, our local Acura dealership's diagnostic charge and hourly service rates are higher than the Lexus and Mercedes dealerships located on the same street.

It is a well thought out, good looking vehicle, but its body and mechanical components do not age nearly as gracefully as the SC/LS.

I think I would just keep looking. Neither car sounds like a good deal for that price range. I wouldn't be interested in anything other than factory paint over 8 years old. And there are too many cars in that price range to not be able to be somewhat particular. Is this going to be a daily driver? or a project car? additional car for the family?