Timing Belt For Gen I Ls

mobilyte

I went 118,000 miles on mine. Then I heard a knock from the left top of the engine when i was on a hill.

I changed the belt the knock went away. I think you can go a 100,000 with out a problem my 92 LS 400 has 218,000 now and still going strong.

I replaced my 91 ls400 timing belt at 154000 miles. I got it done at a local toyota dealership, got it done a lot cheaper than the lexus dealer quoted. The service guy never said anything about the belt, like if it was frayed or anything.

I changed mine (92LS) at 165,000 (very easy driving) simply because I was nervous. It still looked good when it was removed and I think it would have gone quite a bit longer however I also thought the water pump was OK but it seized after 35,000 more miles taking out the new belt and both idler bearings.

Would strongly recommend changing water pump, belt, and idlers if mileage is 150,000 or more but up to that point really think problems may be exageratd somewhat especially by the dealerships. Since Gen I is non-interference worst that can happen is you have to tow to have items replaced anyway.

I might rethink that if the vehicle is used a lot on long distance trips and you are somewhat paranoid about being stalled somewhere in Timbuktu and the only local mechanic says "Yup, I think I kin fix'er in bout a week or so."!! :D

I changed mine (92LS) at 165,000 (very easy driving) simply because I was nervous.  It still looked good when it was removed and I think it would have gone quite a bit longer however I also thought the water pump was OK but it seized after 35,000 more miles taking out the new belt and both idler bearings.

Would strongly recommend changing water pump, belt, and idlers if mileage is 150,000 or more but up to that point really think problems may be exageratd somewhat especially by the dealerships.  Since Gen I is non-interference worst that can happen is you have to tow to have items replaced anyway.

I might rethink that if the vehicle is used a lot on long distance trips and you are somewhat paranoid about being stalled somewhere in Timbuktu and the only local mechanic says "Yup, I think I kin fix'er in bout a week or so."!! :D

I would recommend that also. I replaced my waterpump and serpentine belt at 160k and the car's running well.

I was forced to replace the fan bracket and the power steering pump recently and everything is fine now.

PS: Some countries in the Middle East has SC400 and Soarer 2.5's as Police Cars. U.A.E is using the new LS430T as a Police Car.

I replaced my 91 ls400 timing belt at 154000 miles. I got it done at a local toyota dealership, got it done a lot cheaper than the lexus dealer quoted. The service guy never said anything about the belt, like if it was frayed or anything.

Would you mind telling us what it cost to have it changed. I have 85,000 miles on my '95 LS and am trying to decide whether or not to get it done. Will there be any damage done if I breaks before I change it?

jbsmithsa:

If it breaks, it's likely to wheeze a lot before, then snap. If you're driving or reving the engine, it will smell and white smoke will come out. A Toyota dealer around here quoted me around $700. If you're bold, you could always change it yourself, but change if you hear it when the outside condition is damp. I'm very close to 200k, and so far don't have to replace it. I don't drive the car like I stole it, just to show my driving habit

ucf3,

Are you telling us you have almost 200k original miles on the timing belt & water pump?

No. Water Pump was replaced at 150k, and the timing belt was replaced once at 60k. I haven't changed it since 60k.

If it breaks, it's likely to wheeze a lot before, then snap.  If you're driving or reving the engine, it will smell and white smoke will come out. 

Tell me more about this wheezing and white smoke when a timing belt breaks.

woW!

Sounds like the 90K interval for my 99LS is very conservative - dealer approved ;)

You could say that, but like many experts will tell you, better safe than sorry.

I have 225,800 on my car and I am unsure if/when the belt was changed. I am not that concerned since I found out this is a non-interference engine. There is a receipt in the glove box though from back in June (about 4000 miles ago), when the previous (original) owner had the car serviced. On the receipt it said - "customer wants ALL belts checked- replace as necessary". It mentioned nothing about the timing belt actually being changed, or any belts for that matter. I am hoping the belt was fine or changed.

My dads 1988 Nissan with the 3.0L V6 had the original timing belt to 205,000. My uncle bought it new in late 1987. When my dad bought it the very late 1990s- my uncle told him that he had NEVER changed the belt, or had any work done to it for that matter. My dad changed the belt- which by the was was VERY THIN and on the verge of breaking. :rolleyes:. Aside from brakes my dads truck has needed NOTHING over the past 15 years and 250,000 miles- which it now has- until last week. The starter finally went out. This was the first part (aside from brake pads) that has went out on this truck. Pretty impressive. The Japanese built cars are the best. The new Nissans-Infinitis are not nearly as good as the older ones. I feel the same is true for Honda-Acura and Toyota-Lexus.

I am assuming since my car has nearly 226K- that the belt has been changed- or else it would have already broken. ??? Perhaps I will change it soon.

I was purchasing filters and such a while back and the parts guy who has been with the Lexus dealership for quite some time told me that they recommend changing the timing belt (pump, etc.) at 120K miles on the '98 LS.

My impression is that 90K miles is on the conservative side. Keep in mind that the maintenance schedule is set up to stay well ahead of the typical failure of those parts ......... in engineering parlance it is known as “mean time between failure” or MTBF.

Anyway, this guy insisted that 120K was ok.

I think I’ll do it at the 100K mark or ten years, which ever comes first? :whistles:

Won't be able to spell it out for you, but it sounds like a 'shsh...shsh...shsh'

The white smoke is after it breaks, and the engine won't crank anymore.

I have a 1990 LS400 and mine just broke and the engine stopped. Nothing this dramatic, you must have lost more than just a timing belt.

I believe the recommended interval for the timing belt is 90k. Keep in mind that if you only drive 5k a year, you shouldn't wait until your 18th year to change the belt. Time as well as miles will wear on your timing belt. The PO had the belt done at 83k at the dealer. Cost was $60 for the belt and $350 labor, plus $97 for the timing belt idler. I am sure an indie could do it for far less.

With a typical car, I think the fear is that a broken timing belt at speed may bend some valves when the pistons slam into them. I gather that this cannot happen in a "non-interference engine" .

glenmore

1991 300CE

1990 LS400

you dont have to change your timing belt if its in good condition and pulley bearings dont make noise. run your engine at 700-1000 rpm and listen to the sound of it. if there is no whining noise then you are ok. just remove uppper right timing belt cover and inspect tension and condition of it. i changed mine at 125k miles since one of the bearings on tenstion pulleys went bad and was about to die on me and spilled some grease on the timing belt. i did the timing belt/water pump change myself and it took me 8 hours. i have a specific instrucioons on how to change it and you can email me if you want it. i'm in europe now and will not be able to send it to you until i get back in 3 weeks.

HAPPY NEW YEAR:)

:ph34r: I think differently, when it comes to cars. Most people have their minds on (IF IT AIN’T BROKEN DON’T FIX IT) I completely disagree with that statement; my philosophy is (DON’T LET IT QUIT ON YOU WHEN YOU NEED IT MOST)Keeping that in mind, I never got stuck anywhere, not even a flat tire. I used to drive a Volkswagen rabbit diesel 1977, way back on the early 80’s and again I have never experienced a brake down in all of my cars. I know it could happen, but by keeping everything up well maintained, it sure does minimize the chances.

My Lex is a 1990 with 135.000 miles. Timing belt was replaced at 90K and I will do it again if the car reaches 180K. :ph34r:

That's certainly one way to go, but the cost of trying to never break down is very high...in the range of thousands of dollars...and is only partial protection. It really depends what the potential cost is to you of losing the car at any time.

If you could lose a deal that would earn you a $5000 commission by missing an appointment, then it could pay off, but if you have a situation where if your car breaks down you simply call a tow truck and call in "sick" to work, then it might not be worth it.

Add to this the fact that doing all the maintenance on the recommended schedule does not remove the risk of all failure, just reduces the chances of some number of failures. I've never had a failure in my 14 years I've driven the LS that would have been prevented by any form of maintenance service. For example, there is no maintenance that I'm aware of that would have prevented the "broken wires in the trunk that cause the transmission to stay in 1st gear" syndrome. That would happen whether or not you change the timing belt every 90k.

Anyway, all I'm saying is that as right as your philosphy is for you, it just isn't necessarily right for everyone.

Joe

You're both right ..............

Keep in mind where mig25 is coming from ........ consider his Screen name and look at his avatar ........ in the field of aviation ....... “Preventative Maintenance” is what keeps you alive ...... it's not just a matter of avoiding inconvenience.

If you can swing it ............ I kinda like the idea of treating the “Wide Body Lex” like a Learjet or a Gulfstream G5.

After all, the LS is the closest thing to flying that I've found yet ....... without leaving the ground. :cheers: