Loud Wind Noise From A Brand New Lexus

MyMomBoughtaLexus

Hi Guys,

To make a long story short, my mom just bought a 2008 Lexus ES 350 and now has some issues with it. The issue is that there is too much wind noise when she is driving on the freeway and driving it myself, I have to agree. The noise is almost as if the window is slightly open, but it isn't! All windows are fully closed and its still so noisy!!

I am wondering what are the best solutions to this problem. Ideally, there is an aftermarket solution to this problem although I do not know what that is. That is why I am writing on this forum :)

My mom would even go so far as to return the car, but since that is not possible, we would probably have to sell or trade it in, losing thousands of dollars.

So if there is an aftermarket solution that dampens the noise or if you have observed this same problem please respond!!

Thank you all so much!!

Have you taken it to the dealer and let them look at it?

All the ES350s I've driven are very quiet on the highway, as is our ES300. Something has got to be wrong with your mom's car.

Its brand new, I'd turn it into the dealer and let them fix it. Test drive another ES350 and see if its the same way.

Have you taken it to the dealer and let them look at it?

All the ES350s I've driven are very quiet on the highway, as is our ES300. Something has got to be wrong with your mom's car.

Its brand new, I'd turn it into the dealer and let them fix it. Test drive another ES350 and see if its the same way.

Yeah, something has to be wrong. My dad and I went to the dealer today, and we test drove another ES350 and it was pretty noisy as well!

We test drove an IS250 and it was a little less noisy, but yeah the one I have is RIDICULOUS!

For lack of time, we did not go to the service department.

I called the salesperson who sold the car to us and he told us to bring it to the service department to check it out. I will have to do that soon.

What type of noise are you talking about? Can you describe it a little better? At what speeds do you hear it?

The ES350 is one of the quietest cars on the road...

I've driven several ES350s and IS250s...the ES is much quieter...at least the ones I've driven.

Maybe the dealer is doing something, or not undoing something when the cars get delivered. There used to be complaints when the ES350 first came out about wind noise, but had it continued we would have heard a whole lot more about it. Also, I drive an ES350, and it is soooo quiet on the highway, I love it! Get it checked out, maybe at a different dealership.

No extra trim or anything on the car I hope? An ES350 that came into my friends shop had chrome pillars (same ebay-bling ones I have) and he wanted to know if maybe his door frame was twisted slightly after getting repaired from an accident. The wind noise was excessive but it was all from the pillars... pulled the pillars off and the problem was solved.

I have an 8 weeks old Lexus UL and mine is very quiet and i drove couple others before i bought (different options) and they all were same, so may be something is wrong with your particular car.

Khawar

I know what you are talking about. The car I test drove had it and mine has it. I went for a ride with a service tech and he said they all have that slight wind noise. He said it had something to do with the mirrors (which changed from 07 to 08) and the aerodynamics of the car. Not sure I'm buying that. It is not that bad and no one else thinks my car is loud so I think I'm being too critical.

I have a brand new '08 and paid special attention to the wind noise when I took it to the dealer. I also paid attention to the '08 loaner I got. Both seemed like the quietest cars I've ever driven... so I think there's something going on only some vehicles. If the dealer starts with the "it's normal" line and you think it's that obvious, you'll need to get more aggressive. It really can be only a couple of things: the glass/rubber fittings on the sun roof or the four windows. I don't think the side mirrors could cause inside noise like that.

I know what you are talking about. The car I test drove had it and mine has it. I went for a ride with a service tech and he said they all have that slight wind noise. He said it had something to do with the mirrors (which changed from 07 to 08) and the aerodynamics of the car. Not sure I'm buying that. It is not that bad and no one else thinks my car is loud so I think I'm being too critical.

To answer Steve's question, the wind noise is bad when on the freeway going about 60mph and up. I can describe it in detail. When driving on the freeway, if I open my window just a crack, the wind noise is very loud, very apparent, and very annoying. However, when I close the window, only about 50% of that noise goes away and as you would guess, it IS still very loud, very apparent, and very annoying.

I posted on the other Lexus forum and someone indicated that the early 07 models had this problem and that one member had the rubber seal and some felt padding redone or something and the results were DRAMATIC, lol. I will be on the lookout for that.

Yeah, the salesperson I was with said all Lexus's have this wind noise but I was not buying that at all either. I will go back letting them know...that I KNOW about early 07 problems and see if they know about that. I wish salespersons were more accommodating and wouldn't just lie through their teeth to get a sale or deny further service.

Also thanks Phil B. for the advice in dealing with the dealers, I'm in a weird situation because I wasn't even there when my parents bought the car and now I'M the one that has to be aggressive. Weird, but I have to do it. Thanks for the support.

And thanks AZ08LexusES for confirming the wind noise problem with the early ES350s, 07s I assume, and for the advice on getting it checked out at a different dealership. It seems the one my mom went to was rated one of the worst in my areas based on Yelp. Great job mom...

• 3 weeks later...

hey guys. we all have been down this road in the past. old threads are plastered with wind noise issues. I have had them from time to time. nothing like this sounds like though. but it is a design flaw. Only happens to me on very warm days (lucky i live in Canada) I have had the dealership hear and look for where its coming from and we are all at a loss. Its there, not all the time, but im forced to live with it. I like my car but i will be seriously looking at Acura or Infiniti next time around. Only for the reason people ask me about my car and my response is "its ok" i dont get the same response from TL or G or BMW owners. I drove an Accord before this and was half the money. Have a hard time saying this is twice the car. It is almost twice the money. If you took my features of UL package away from me, i cant say the car is outstanding in comparison. Interior quality i dont think i could match with Honda or Acura, but ive never bought a car based on the feel of leather. The stereo is, lets face it just OK. reading the threads on ML, i'm not alone. Nothing i couldnt get for a grand or grand and a half. i have had to replace my tranny and still get a flare on my new one just not as big of one.

All said, not what i expected from a Lexus. I was recently was called by Lexus and asked if i would recommend it to a friend or family and i had to be honest and say no. It not just due to my cars issues. i know 3 people (2-07's 1-09) and we all feel the exact same way. they are options in this class of car and i would have to say this car does not place first unless you are soully looking for a softer ride.

Tire issues, brake issue, tranny issue, wind noise issues. 4 more them my old cheap honda.

Been reading other blogs (Acura, Infiniti and BWM) and im just not seeing the problems as often. They are problems like with all cars, just not the same general feeling about thier purchase.

Personal opinion of course.

I had two Hondas before this one, loved them both. I still love this one more! And, today in Arizona it is 89 degrees, no wind noise problem. How hot does it get up in the great white north? Sounds like a typical case of the grass is always greener and remorse issue. I think even Honda and Toyota may disappoint you now, so Scion, I hear those may go for half the price... Just get the Acura, there's good financing deals going on right now! Let us know how that goes.

• 3 months later...

Though its late and I guess not many will read this but whatever its worth for here are my 2 cents; I own an Acura TL 2004, let me say it loud..IT IS THE MOST CREEKY, SQUEAKY, RATTLY CAR I EVER HAD and I mean it when I say that I ever had! It is not my anecdotal experience but just go to Edmunds or Acurazine and you will find the facts from thousands of complains regarding the issues that I have mentioned.

Prior to Acura TL, I had infiniti I 35 which I sold in one year.

Now, here is my point ............NO CAR and I mean NO CAR is perfect in every respect. Unfortunately, most of us (including myself in the past) had too much expectation from our cars. The result of such a prfound expectation is utter disappointment!

I have just purchased an ES 350 UL with ML Audio / panoramic roof etc. etc. last week.

I can count many features/ammenities that I liked on the Infiniti and Acura that Lexus doesn't have. However, the ES 350 is an overall good package and just remember that do not let the excellent kill the good!

Enjoy your ride, you own one of the best cars on the road!

Nit, pick will keep the forum alive but may end up adding to your disatisfaction of ownership of this good vehicle.

Well said a1. This car rocks. I have a 09 Level III (nav+park-assist) that I purchased in January and I'm very happy with it. While I wish the sound system was better, the rest of car over-shadows the small blemishes. :cheers:

• 2 weeks later...

i am stating the obvious. If i was alone with my issues i would totally agree but how many threads must we read about all the same issue as mine.

1) tranny issues (mine replaced at 25,000km)

2) wind noise

3) brakes (my pads are fine but had 2 rotors replaced by dealer who agreed this damage couldnt possibly happen with normal wear and tear)

Service from Lexus 2nd to non. These people know how to serve thier customers.

I guess based on all the reviews, magazines and forums on past models this didnt quite meet my expectations.

I like my car, its a good car, interior quality is unmatched, ride is nice, no car is perfect but these issues are alittle too common and i guess i expected lexus to meet reliability of my Honda which so far it hasn't.