Ls400 60,000 Mile Maintenance

MyPGAQuest

I have a 2000 LS400 that is coming up on 60,000 miles. I called the Lexus dealership and they said it would be $540 for the 60k checkup. This entails an oil change and replacing the air filter. They also check all fluids. I ask you, is this worth the $540 for what seems to be an oil change? I called a Toyota dealership and they said it would cost $325 for the same thing. Lastly, is there anything else I should be aware of at 60,000 miles?

Any thoughts or opinions?

Thanks,

Todd

I have a 2000 LS400 that is coming up on 60,000 miles. I called the Lexus dealership and they said it would be $540 for the 60k checkup. This entails an oil change and replacing the air filter. They also check all fluids. I ask you, is this worth the $540 for what seems to be an oil change? I called a Toyota dealership and they said it would cost $325 for the same thing. Lastly, is there anything else I should be aware of at 60,000 miles?

Thanks,

Todd

i'm surprised toyota would do it- i've tried the same and they wouldn't work on it. i've heard if they have a lexus-certified mechanic on site they will do it. your other option is to google and see if you have an independent lexus mechanic in your area. i found one in atlanta and it saves me 1/2 the cost on labor and he uses all lexus parts.

i can't remember what else they do at 60k interval, but it's certainly more than an oil change. i'm coming up on 180k soon and will be going through the same thing. good luck.

My opinion, if you're even a beginer DIY type, the 60k service is a waste of money. The air filter can be done yourself, with 3 bolts & 5 minutes, with a off-the-shelf filter from auto-world. Oil changes are, well, oil changes. That should not cost the $100 a lexus dealership charges. Furthermore, if they're not actually flushing the other fluids, but rather just looking at them...then don't mess with it.

I'd say no. Here's the maintenance schedule for a '98 LS 400 which should be darn close to yours.

As a DIY project, I'd say tops $100 in parts. Nothing in the 60K service requires Lexus training so any good mechanic can handle it, and it shouldn't be more than $200-ish.

Good luck,

Eddie

Maintenance_Schedule_Chart.pdf

...besides, i'd save your money for the BIG honker around the corner, at 90k, which is the timing belt and water pump....That one, you do want to do.

Edit: after seeing Eddie's schedule, I noticed the driveshaft stuff... I don't know much about that, but I do know my old 95' needed a new driveshaft around the 120k mark because of binding issues. I never noticed service intervals on it before... Maybe one of the other guys can post up some comments on it, but you might consider that service. I know when mine started to go, it had me on a wild-goose chase for vibration issues...

Thanks for the info. I will check a local mechanic around here that used to work at the Lexus dealership. I will see what he charges and if it is high, then I will probably take care of things myself. And yes, I will start stashing away some money for the 90K service.

Todd

My opinion, if you're even a beginer DIY type, the 60k service is a waste of money. The air filter can be done yourself, with 3 bolts & 5 minutes, with a off-the-shelf filter from auto-world. Oil changes are, well, oil changes. That should not cost the $100 a lexus dealership charges. Furthermore, if they're not actually flushing the other fluids, but rather just looking at them...then don't mess with it.

Quick Q - What about a timing belt replacement in that 60k range?

According to the maintenance schedule for a 2000 LS400, the timing belt is supposed to replaced at 90,000 miles or six years after the car's in-service date.

I had timing belt replaced on my 2000 LS400 replaced last summer at 90,000 miles and almost exactly seven years after the 31 July 2000 in-service date.

The original timing belt looked brand new - no signs of deterioration. Whether you follow the maintenance schedule for timing belt replacement is up to you.

The local dealers in the Phoenix area want between $650 and $850 for the 60K service (I just hit 60K miles on my LS400). Here is my understaning of what they actually do (excluding inspections):

1) Oil change

2) Replace engine air filter

3) Replace cabin air filter

4) Tranny drain and refill (included in $850, not with $650)

5) Diff drain and refill

6) Coolant drain and refill

7) Brake fluid replacement

None of this is that difficult to do, and probably runs $150 or so in parts/fluids. While I'm at it, I am going to change the rear brake pads ($45 for me to do vs. $300 or so for dealer to do). By doing this, I will save almost enough to pay someone to replace the timing belt/water pump/seals.

I remember when I had it done at the dealer it was about $600. If I had found my indie guy then i probably wouldn't have bothered to go to the dealer but I had just purchased the car and wanted them to look it over.

From what I remember it's a complete fluids change and an inspection (this is for an LS430) which seems to occur every 30,000 miles. The parts aren't expensive but it's the labor that gets you. I agree the dealer over charges for a lot of this; if you are handy or know a good indie you can save a ton. The 90,000 mile timing belt change at the dealer is something like $1500+; I think I'll be going to my indie guy for that one.

The local dealers in the Phoenix area want between $650 and $850 for the 60K service (I just hit 60K miles on my LS400). Here is my understaning of what they actually do (excluding inspections):

1) Oil change

2) Replace engine air filter

3) Replace cabin air filter

4) Tranny drain and refill (included in $850, not with $650)

5) Diff drain and refill

6) Coolant drain and refill

7) Brake fluid replacement

None of this is that difficult to do, and probably runs $150 or so in parts/fluids. While I'm at it, I am going to change the rear brake pads ($45 for me to do vs. $300 or so for dealer to do). By doing this, I will save almost enough to pay someone to replace the timing belt/water pump/seals.

• 3 months later...

Thanks,

Todd

Todd,

An independent service quoted me $330 plus tax for my LS430: oil change, differential oil change, airfilter change, check battery, clean out carburator column where carbon deposit can accumulate.

David

i Have a 99 ls400 with 59,600 mile, just did the 60k service cost $545, i think its worth it, they change a lot of things, oil change, transmission,brake fluid, air filter,ac filter, rotate all four tires,rubber wiper blade x2,, gasket fuel tank,fuel treatment, replace differential oil, lubricate drive shaft bearing, top off all fluids, safety checks on all compartment, a free car loaner lexus I pick the IS350, a free car wash.

I would pay a little extra knowing the job is done right, just a piece of mind. if you take to independent shop, just think of all the inconvience, you would have to arrange for a ride, to and back, and possible the mechanics are not accustome to working on these beauty machine.

bottome line is why safe a buck or two, when you can have piece of mind and convience. After all part of driving a luxury beauty machine is having to pay a little extra, just my 2 cents.

An

• 3 weeks later...

I try and do all the maintenance myself because 1) I am cheap, 2) I can't stand paying dealer prices when I know they don't do all that they say they do and 3) I do get some satisfaction out of doing the repairs myself.

With some dealers you build up goodwill by overpaying for routine services. Then when something $$$ unexpected comes up, sometimes the dealer will cut you a break if they check your record and they see that they've gouged you plenty in the past. There may be some guilty conscience here because if the services were routine and thorough then the sudden $$$ repair should have been avoided or caught sooner.

As an aside, a friend of mine just got his Sony digicam fixed that was way out of warranty. He has bought a lot of Sony product over the past (recent 46" LCD TV) and he dutifully registers each one. When he called to complain about his camera, they pulled up his record and then fixed his camera for free.

Of course your dealer may gouge you for service everytime and STILL gouge you when a big $$$ repair hits.

As with any service you are looking for, try to find and cultivate a good provider.

glenmore

1990 LS400

1991 300CE

2000 C280