The Es 250...?

lex,

the legend is a much sportier car in the sence that it can go real fast in a strait line... Considerably faster than the ES...handling was a dissapointment... and the tranny was like a whip lash...But thats just normal for many, many hondas! The interior was was leather .. with all the options... but no where near the class of a lexus, nor quality... All in all... A 90's ES compared to a 90's Legend.... The ES is sooo much better

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haha. Cool. I like to hear that, b/c I considered buying a Legend one time right after I got my second ES. Glad I didn't! But my friend on the other hand; he's more interested in straight line speed, as almost everyone I know has a :censored: Mustang and me and my best friend are always left in the dust, me being in my ES and him in his POS $300 (really a good buy though) 1991 Chevy Lumina lol. But it's in our best interests to not be able to go that fast anyhow. I swear one of my friends is going to kill themselves and possibly others in those stupid Mustangs. Ford, as well as their parents, should be shot for making a car that fast affordable to teenagers, and their parents for letting them drive them. Like they're not gonna speed in a 5.0 Mustang...psh, gimme a break! <_<

I agree. Who isn't going to speed in a Mustang? Plus, I can't stand them. I think the design is so old... they have used it for almost a decade [with only minor revisions], haven't they?

Oh well, you got the best car anyway. It may not be as fast, but it sure is better overall.

Which cars statistically have more repairs? Ford or Lexus? Hmmm.. that's a hard one! :D You'll come out smiling after they have to drop $2500 into it for repairs! :rolleyes:

I bought my ES 250 when I was 18 with 128k miles for $1500 (best deal I ever had). For the year that I have owned it I have only had to make two repairs replacing the water pump and the fuel pump. I wil definaty buy another Lexus in the future there is no better deal than a Lexus for under $2000.

Neiltyme, the rotors are alright. They are very smooth during stops and don't make much noise at all (none in light to moderate braking). My OEM rotors were warped when I got the car, so I can't really compare them to anything. The only bad part about the new rotors is that they are rusting. Not on the braking surfuce, but everything that doesn't contact the pad is rusting up. Not very attractive! Still, they work great. :cheers:

post-7-1070774675.jpg

I've had 2 seater 6 speed acura legend.

and my parents right now have 4 door, auto legend.

so i can tell you something about both of them.

my legend..

suspension is slammed on those cars..that give you better handling. I would say handling on Legend is somewhat descent. but lexus handles better in city. However, on highway driving..legend is so much more stable.

performance..6 speed legend kicks !Removed!. kinna bad in the start..like all honda lacks torque. but once you hit the RPM a little above 5000, VTEC really kicks in (this is the real vtec..not honda civic boy's vtec). you will get nailed to your seat. (6 speed..means you can decide when you want to shift)

very very safe car, i ran a deer on that car going 90MPH. car stood up great. (radiator didn't bust)

My parents legend

they have the slower one. SOHC one, auto tranny

it's very similar..almost identical to mine..except..at the high rpm. it is still slow, automatic tranny likes to die at early stage..around 120 000 miles..clunks and clunks...bad idle due to it.

Once legend hits 140 000, you will need to spend a lot of money. timing belt service is expensive..thru the roof. and around there, my parents engine burns excessive oil ...about quart for 100 miles. really really bad. engine sounds great though..no ticking, no knocking.. still drive smooth.

Legend has really nice seats..it feels so comfy. it has more options than our es300s. (at least more than mine)..it's got heated seats, seat position memeory of 2 setting, a little better speaker system)

EVERYTHING ON THE ENGINE BAY IS SO TIGHTLY PACKED AND LABOR RATE IS SUPER CRAZY ON THAT CAR. very impossible to work on anything.

interior...i like acura's leather so much better. plastic trims are about same level on lexus and acura.

conclusion.. acura 6 speed is sportier/more power. but not too fast b/c of heavy weight, better suspension, 6 speed is fun...real gas saver on highways, good leather quality, very safe car

cons:: bad gas mileage. in city (premium gas only) .and high labor rates on anything. engine is not as reliable as lexus.no room to work on the engine. challenging to find some parts.

Overall..hmm..i would say acura is little better car than es300 as far as driving. In real life..where money (gasmileage in city, fixing cost, part cost) is involved..es300 is a smart choice.

acura legend is safer (more room for bigger people) and feel more secure and comfier than lexus es300.

But if you want SPEED..get a 300zx Twinturbo..you will love it. It's got some problems with rubber parts, fuel lines, power steering lines, bushings.

after all the rubber stuff is replaced..the car is unsinkable tank. The car ran 18 pounds of boost for 50 000 miles..it lasted forever. no engine problems (tranny died twice).

amazing handling and fantastic 4 piston breaks front, 2 piston rear. good torque. good HP. Good/cheap mods. 100HP gain is easy on that car.

Horrible traction in rain/snow due to light rear and bad sub frame bushing.

my car had 260 000 miles when it got ran over by a stupid 4X4 (which a teenager girl didn't have insurance).

I agree.  Who isn't going to speed in a Mustang?  Plus, I can't stand them.  I think the design is so old... they have used it for almost a decade [with only minor revisions], haven't they? 

Oh well, you got the best car anyway.  It may not be as fast, but it sure is better overall. 

Which cars statistically have more repairs?  Ford or Lexus?  Hmmm.. that's a hard one!  :D  You'll come out smiling after they have to drop $2500 into it for repairs!  :rolleyes:

Go easy on the Mustangs :whistles: . They're good cars; I know that because we have 2 of them a 96 and a convetable 95. They both have about 90k miles on the clocks. I've spent more on my Lexus(94 w/ 112.5k miles) then my parents did on the 2 Mustangs combined...just an alternator and battery for the 95 and the 96 has been perfect(knock on wood)! Also, the Mach 460 stereo is out of this world for a stock system B).

I can't talk much about the speed since both of ours have the 3.8 V6's which are snappy enough but no where near the avalible 4.6 V8. I'm more inclined to speed because of the pretty decent handling(rather than speed) characteristics; the coupe is a lot of fun which is a 5sp I like to leave it in 2nd gear and fly around while watching the fuel needle drop(because going 50-60 in second doesn't help the fuel econ.) :lol: . These are great weekend cars; I definantly couldn't drive them regularly especially the 5sp like I could my Lexus :). In case yall haven't noticed, I'm a huge Ford(and also Lexus now) fan :D .

:cheers:

yeah, fords aren't that bad. although my experience with it was not as pleasant. supposed to be number 1 domestic car for reliability.

My dad has 96 econoline with 120 000. he had to replace the radiator once, EGR went bad once, abs died a few times... it has suspension and braking problems (we can never figure that one out..even dealers couldn't fix it under full warranty)

rotors are always being warped, abs sensor is always dying, and tires are wearing are having uneven tread wear..ever since he bought it new back in 96.

BUt besides that, everything else okay. engine makes this bad bearing death noise..but still runs good.

I think i might be the only person here with a 250. Everyone else is talking about their 300, oh well. I didn't expect this thred to have so many replies. Especially about stuff I didn't talk about in the origional.

I have a question though.... On that whole, avatar thing, how do you put in a pic there next to your name when you post replies? I tried it a few times but somehow it doesnt recognize the .jpeg's that i have, and i can't figure out why.

Blake, I believe the total was $478 for everything (rotors and pads) and then it was about $90 more to have them installed. Supposedly these are made in such a way that cracking is unlikely (something about the curve at the cross-drilled hole). Its explained better on the site. I figure they will last quite awhile as I do my best to be very gentle with them. Except for the rust on the non-braking surfaces (I probably should have tried to get them zinc coated or something ), they're great brakes! :cheers:

Yeah Blake, stock calipers work fine. There is no way I'm going to mess with those ($!). $478 for all four wheels. There is a link on the site to a price list. I believe that your '94 and my '95 take the same rotor, so that be about $173 a piece for drilled and slotted rotors for one axle. I could be wrong. Check it out. :cheers:

Yeah, you're right. I emailed them and them gave me a quote of $173 for drilled and slotted and $158 for just slotted ( prices are per axle). I checked on the slotted only because of all of the reports of easy cracking, but I think I would just go with the OEM's if I don't get the drilled and slotted because I want these for cosmetic looks rather than brute stopping power. Also, what happens if the rotors get warped??? Wubb how do you like your rotors? Have they warped any over the passing miles?

I like them a lot. They are really quiet except for at hard stops (which I do my best not to make). They don't have a lot of miles on them (maybe 2k), so I can't speak for their longevity. If they ever did warp there are ways to turn them, but I'm doing my best to try and prevent that (I try very hard to be gentle with the brakes). I know they are drilled in such a way as to combat cracking (something about no edges on the drill hole, its explained better on the site). But yes, they do look good, and if the situation ever around I have no doubt they would stop me very quickly. They do look real cool when the light catches them. I might need to get some new rims someday that show them off more. :cheers:

They are really quiet except for at hard stops (which I do my best not to make

Is this the hum they talk about on their website? Can you describe it further? Thanks for all of the brake info Wubb :D

Yeah, that's the hum. It does it off and on. I worried about it at first (that disclaimer wasn't on the website when I purchased them), but it doesn't really bother me now. You could hear it but it didn't really vibrate the car, so I figured it was just the slots (which it is). Are you really considering these? I looked for about a month before I decided on these. Email me if you are interested and I will give a few links I found. :cheers:

That's real nice man! My parent's ES isn't in near that good a condition. Your seats looks great! Their seats are all cracked and stuff. I like your CD player. That space right below it is where the OEM CD player would have gone had the first owner gotten that option. Well done! :cheers: