Lexus Ls400 Vs Bmw 735i, Mercedes 420 Se, Jaguar 4.0 Sov

Mhouse11

It still amazes me how well the original design has aged. The Jag and BMW look positively antique; the MB looks like a classic (I have a soft spot in my heart for the old 126).

The LS looks like it could still be sold today. And they said the design was uninspired and derivative....

It still amazes me how well the original design has aged. The Jag and BMW look positively antique; the MB looks like a classic (I have a soft spot in my heart for the old 126).

The LS looks like it could still be sold today. And they said the design was uninspired and derivative....

The part that got me was how he said the interior looked bland....

I eyed up 7' and MB's of that year when I ended up choosing the LS400, and elt me tell you, my major turnoff with those cars was the interior. The woodgrain looked like it was an unrolled orange pop can, and the beamers gauges, well, I have never been able to get used to the VW/BMW style small dial with humoungous lego-like needles.

I owned an early 80's 5 series bimmer that I thought was more classy on the interior than the late 80's/early 90's 7 series. The LEx, at that time, really was like stepping into a time machine and moving ahead of the others by about 10 years, or perhaps going into the others was like going back 10??

Excellent post! I was shopping for all these babies up until yesterday. At the end, I chose the LS400 based on reliability records. Now, go back in time and add that to this comparison test and it's a no brainer.

I must admit that having a BMW 740i already persuaded me to choose the Lexus in that I already have a car with heritage and history. Perhaps not having it would have pushed me towards a European one for that reason.

Later on I may also add that beautiful 126 to the family...

The Lexus is so much nicer than the other vehicles.

The Jag, BMW, and Benz look so old and nasty. The LS is so modern with fluid lines. The others are just blocky and gross.

The Lexus is so much nicer than the other vehicles.

The Jag, BMW, and Benz look so old and nasty. The LS is so modern with fluid lines. The others are just blocky and gross.

Geez, that car is light years ahead of every car lined up in front of it, ahahah

The water thing was pretty cool. Did the inspire that commercial or was it from the commercial?

I agree that back then the Lex looked the best. Especially compared to the Merc and Jag. I have an E32 750 as well as a newer 740 so of course Im not going to diss on my boys. I do think though that over time age has caught up to all of them. Especially the tails on those older LS cars. I think darkening them or going a OEM looking clear route would really take age away there.

I read somewhere that Toyota spent FOUR HUNDRED MILLION DOLLARS to develop the 1uz-fe engine. In 1980's dollars.

I still think it's one of the best V8s ever.

yea i did the glass with water on ur engine trick and i couldnt believe that *BLEEP* even at 6000 rpm didnt fall or move, i guess that's the great engineering put into these cars.

Great video!! I love the first gen LS--it still looks great after all these years, and it's such a significant car for Lexus. B)

Considering the w126 came out in 1979, it still looks great! B) I agree the LS400 could still be sold today, but I also think the same could be said for the Jag XJ since the exterior changes have been fairly minor over the past 20-30 years.

Thats what german and american designers have never understood "boring and bland" translates into "staying power". The LS still looks so good precisely because of its simple, timeless lines.

Think about the Acura Legend...

Fascinating review. I thank you for posting it. My 94LS still runs like a top.

A recent March 8 article in CNN Money on line has an interesting comparison of a high line Beemer owner and a new Lexus and Cadillac CTS.

http://money.cnn.com/2008/03/05/smbusiness...n=magazines_fsb

Sure makes you proud of Lexus.

Great video!! I love the first gen LS--it still looks great after all these years, and it's such a significant car for Lexus. B)

Considering the w126 came out in 1979, it still looks great! B) I agree the LS400 could still be sold today, but I also think the same could be said for the Jag XJ since the exterior changes have been fairly minor over the past 20-30 years.

Awesome video! Thanks for sharing. B)

:cheers:

Fascinating review. I thank you for posting it. My 94LS still runs like a top.

A recent March 8 article in CNN Money on line has an interesting comparison of a high line Beemer owner and a new Lexus and Cadillac CTS.

http://money.cnn.com/2008/03/05/smbusiness...n=magazines_fsb

Sure makes you proud of Lexus.

No problem! :) Figured i'd share the video with the forum. The Ls kind of raised the bar and showed there is more to luxury than the emblum on the hood.