Unhappy With 2008 Rx350

:angry: :( :angry: Is anyone else unhappy with a new 08 RX350? I purchased mine new in October of 07. Black with gray inside. Nav,etc. This car is loud. I have a lot of wind noise, road noise and a buzzing sound from the brake relay. I believed this was to be a great car. Today the door handle fell off when I was washing it. I attempted to trade it for a GS350 AWD and would loose $7K (I would have done $4K) to do the deal. What resale? My car has only 2350 miles on it. I can not believe I traded a BMW for this junk mobile. I will have to go to Benz or BMW!!!

Did I just get a bad one?

My uncle has the same RX, he purchased two weeks after me. This is his third RX and he too is having some issues.

Did Lexus hire unemployed GM and Ford workers?

What should I do?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:angry: :( :angry: Is anyone else unhappy with a new 08 RX350? I purchased mine new in October of 07. Black with gray inside. Nav,etc. This car is loud. I have a lot of wind noise, road noise and a buzzing sound from the brake relay. I believed this was to be a great car. Today the door handle fell off when I was washing it. I attempted to trade it for a GS350 AWD and would loose $7K (I would have done $4K) to do the deal. What resale? My car has only 2350 miles on it. I can not believe I traded a BMW for this junk mobile. I will have to go to Benz or BMW!!!

My uncle has the same RX, he purchased two weeks after me. This is his third RX and he too is having some issues.

What should I do?

I'm wondering if it's one of the Canadian-made RXs. Does the VIN start with a 2? (There's a thread in the forum about the assembly labor being Toyota-like at the Cambridge, ON plant but the parts are being sourced from the "fine folks" who make parts for "Malibus and Neons". Ouch!)

My '07 RX is absolutely wonderful after 17K miles with zero problems. Japanese-made. (Canadian versions go to the NE U.S., I was told, an the rest of the country gets Japanese versions.)

I'd say lean reeeeeal hard on the service people to make it right for you. Yell loud!

What should I do?

I'm wondering if it's one of the Canadian-made RXs. Does the VIN start with a 2? (There's a thread in the forum about the assembly labor being Toyota-like at the Cambridge, ON plant but the parts are being sourced from the "fine folks" who make parts for "Malibus and Neons". Ouch!)

My '07 RX is absolutely wonderful after 17K miles with zero problems. Japanese-made. (Canadian versions go to the NE U.S., I was told, an the rest of the country gets Japanese versions.)

I'd say lean reeeeeal hard on the service people to make it right for you. Yell loud!

Just passed 750 miles on an RX 350 purchased last week. Absolutely a super ride. Assembled in Canada. As mentioned in the other thread, apparently the only Japanese assembled 350's in the great NE are red. It may take a little longer before things start to fall off.

I have had similar problems with mine. Really felt I got the brush off when I mentioned the wind noise. Service dept. at Tampa said yeah, they had heard that and there was no resolution. I felt the car I test drove was much quieter, but chose a different color. Am very disappointed with this one. Also the sticker said I got the first two scheduled maintenance for free. I showed them that, and the book where it says scheduled maintenance... every 5 k. They told me I was supposed to come back at 100 miles and that was the first maintenance. Was never told that at the sale. As far as I am concerned scheduled is what it says in the book.

I have had similar problems with mine. Really felt I got the brush off when I mentioned the wind noise. Service dept. at Tampa said yeah, they had heard that and there was no resolution. I felt the car I test drove was much quieter, but chose a different color. Am very disappointed with this one. Also the sticker said I got the first two scheduled maintenance for free. I showed them that, and the book where it says scheduled maintenance... every 5 k. They told me I was supposed to come back at 100 miles and that was the first maintenance. Was never told that at the sale. As far as I am concerned scheduled is what it says in the book.

The problems continue with my 2008 RX. This morning I put the passenger window down, and guess what? That is correct it now will not go back up. This car is total rubbish. Everyone said try Lexus, try Lexus. I will say good bye Lexus! It must be true, only the Germans build true luxury cars. My 1994 Benz that I gave to my 17 year old son has been great 180K miles and still going strong. God please help me get rid of this car!!!! My wifes Jag has been back to the dealer for only normal service and one warranty repair in 35K miles. Where does Consumer Reports get their info? I emailed Lexus and they keep telling me that the car has a 4 year 50k warranty, thats fine, I just do not think I should have to keep going back to the dealer for so many problems. :angry: :angry:

The problems continue with my 2008 RX. This morning I put the passenger window down, and guess what? That is correct it now will not go back up. This car is total rubbish. Everyone said try Lexus, try Lexus. I will say good bye Lexus! It must be true, only the Germans build true luxury cars. My 1994 Benz that I gave to my 17 year old son has been great 180K miles and still going strong. God please help me get rid of this car!!!! My wifes Jag has been back to the dealer for only normal service and one warranty repair in 35K miles. Where does Consumer Reports get their info? I emailed Lexus and they keep telling me that the car has a 4 year 50k warranty, thats fine, I just do not think I should have to keep going back to the dealer for so many problems. :angry: :angry:

My 08, made in Canada is also fine, no problems. If I were you lemon Law the !Removed!!!!

I have bought Lexus RX350 2008 with navigation system.

We were mislead by the sales person. The sales person mislead me with in the following

1. Navigation System Lock: Cannot operate Navigation system while the vehicle is on the move. But this is false. You cannot even override this option in the newer models.

2. Key less entry: They have told us that we can set both the key to two different setting and depending on what key we use, it will automatically set the seat, mirror setting and etc,.

3. Battery Dead: We went for a tour for 10 days and by the time we came back the vehicle did not start. My Accord'00 model did not have any problems until today.. Shame on lexus..

I think that the sales persons are well trained not to talk about the navigation system lock. We were not aware of the feature being disabled until we finished the deal.

We did not buy Acura because the new model was not a touch screen. But could be able to change the destination or POI while the vehicle is in motion. Navigation system was that important for me. Why would anyone buy a navigation system which cannot be used when needed?

I would like to reverse this transaction if possible or atleast provide an override option. But it was too late. I did not even have the new car enjoyment until now and when ever I look at the car I feel that Lexus deceived me. I have also called up Lexus immediately and wrote letters explaining how unhappy I am and would like to reverse this transaction. But no response.

Next thing I am planning to do is to go to consumer forum.

I already got an warning from I-5 interstate trooper for stopping the vehicle on shoulder on a highway. He told me that since I have a good driving record he is giving me warning and told me next time I should take an exit and pull into any parking lot to do so.

This so called safety feature by lexus turned to be more dangerous then safety.

For Washington state buyers be aware of Lexus sales guys in Lexus of Belevue when you are making a deal. I have already told every one in my company not to buy lexus with navigation system.

All the above is exactly why I decided not to purchase a Lexus RX350. There are other makes out there that offer at least what Lexus does at a lot less price. I have read on other sites that Lexus was as overprice Toyota and I never wanted to believe that but now I think I do.

I couldn't be happier with my 08 RX. The navigation will work when driving if you read the directions and use voice commands. The POI will come up with the touch screen while driving and you can touch the poi and get the info as well while driving. I'm guessing you did no research at all before your purchase. Did you take a test drive? The price well I looked at Volvo, Acura and infinity and the Lexus is a better value in my book.

Jeff

I couldn't be happier with my 08 RX. The navigation will work when driving if you read the directions and use voice commands. The POI will come up with the touch screen while driving and you can touch the poi and get the info as well while driving. I'm guessing you did no research at all before your purchase. Did you take a test drive? The price well I looked at Volvo, Acura and infinity and the Lexus is a better value in my book.

Jeff

The voice commands are incorrect 9 out of 10 times. I had 7 friends (all American, English speaking) each try 3 different commands and the ratio was the same.

My friend has an 08 Mercedes C300 with Nav and the voice command works 10 out of 10 times with the same 7 people.

Does anyone else have road and wind noise? Or a buzzing when the brake is applied? (and it is not the ABS) The RX and other Lexus cars are over priced Toyotas. I made a big mistake.

I test drove the new Buick Enclave today. What a ride. Quiet, smooth and strong! Way to go GM!!

If I was that unhappy I would dump it and get something I don't have to complain about to everyone. My nav commands have been great, no buzzing and no wind noise above what I would consider normal.

Jeff

I smell troll.

A troll is someone who comes to a board with an agenda.

What makes a person search out an Internet forum ?

To find an answer to their specific problem.

Those who first post is to complain and have no answer or questions posed of how to relieve the situation have a completely different set of values . So armed with propaganda for other car makes will try and slander anything they can find.

The funniest part of this is that is happening more and more often to import vehicle boards.

Unfortunately many north American jobs are being lost so many of these people have started their own crusade to flog the Internet with horror stories based on little to no fact.

Now how many of you have heard of a dealer swapping a car

This is his third RX and he too is having some issues

Dealers anywhere hate to replace a car never mind 3 times , and I'll be damned if they didn't make sure the 2nd one was not perfect in the first place let alone another half !Removed! built Lexus replacing it.

The one above by kethineni mentions some issues but lets face facts . You have an idiot for a sales person and a dealer who backed them . It is in no way a bad representation of the vehicle and its reliability or safety to you.

But for the love of god, your driving record had nothing to do with it that you did not get a ticket. You sir ,should have pulled off the highway to make an adjustment . So it was poor judgment on your part for not thinking about the implications of parking on the side of the road and not deciding where you were going before you left.

So like all forums take posts with a grain of salt , including mine.

Try an think through them for the whole and half truths and the utter lies.

Good luck

I forgot to post earlier that my RX will be going in for service this week. The service writer was in today, I guess they do oil changes and things on Sunday. I will post the results. I guess it is better to shake out the all the problems at one time rather than over a longer time. Once resolved all will be forgotten.

Jeff

The voice commands are incorrect 9 out of 10 times. I had 7 friends (all American, English speaking) each try 3 different commands and the ratio was the same.

My friend has an 08 Mercedes C300 with Nav and the voice command works 10 out of 10 times with the same 7 people.

Does anyone else have road and wind noise? Or a buzzing when the brake is applied? (and it is not the ABS) The RX and other Lexus cars are over priced Toyotas. I made a big mistake.

I test drove the new Buick Enclave today. What a ride. Quiet, smooth and strong! Way to go GM!!

I have the wind and the road noise. Lexus is famous for a Quiet ride but they are not anymore.

I also agree with the voice commands. They are not accurate at all. We have to repeatedly say the command. I think this is more distraction than just specify the POI via touch screen.

I smell troll.

Those who first post is to complain and have no answer or questions posed of how to relieve the situation have a completely different set of values . So armed with propaganda for other car makes will try and slander anything they can find.

The funniest part of this is that is happening more and more often to import vehicle boards.

Unfortunately many north American jobs are being lost so many of these people have started their own crusade to flog the Internet with horror stories based on little to no fact.

Dealers anywhere hate to replace a car never mind 3 times , and I'll be damned if they didn't make sure the 2nd one was not perfect in the first place let alone another half !Removed! built Lexus replacing it.

The one above by kethineni mentions some issues but lets face facts . You have an idiot for a sales person and a dealer who backed them . It is in no way a bad representation of the vehicle and its reliability or safety to you.

But for the love of god, your driving record had nothing to do with it that you did not get a ticket. You sir ,should have pulled off the highway to make an adjustment . So it was poor judgment on your part for not thinking about the implications of parking on the side of the road and not deciding where you were going before you left.

Good luck

One thing I want to make clear is I am not telling lies here. SKperformance I have nothing to do with you and I agree that it has nothing to do with the vehicle reputation. I am guess that you do not travel long distances and never had a find a near by restaurant. Any way thanks but not thanks. Only God know the truth and who the liers are. Have a nice day.

I smell troll.

Good luck

One thing I want to make clear is I am not telling lies here. SKperformance I have nothing to do with you and I agree that it has nothing to do with the vehicle reputation. I am guess that you do not travel long distances and never had a find a near by restaurant. Any way thanks but not thanks. Only God know the truth and who the liers are. Have a nice day.

I have an '01 AWD RX300 but were I buying new the new RX350 would currently be my purchase choice.

First, I would NEVER again buy a CAPTIVE nav/gps system. Once I bought the Garman portable I had no use for the one in my RX. The Garman has more viability overall, but especially so with the routing resolution even with the latest DVD in my RX.

Running nice and quiet comfortably riding summer only tires (mine are Bridgestone Turanzas) helps dramatically to reduce the road noise level. DIY coating the window and door seals with the marketplace available silicon lub will also help reduce the level of wind noise.

I have several "agendas" (obviously), does that mean I am a Troll..??

And if you think the wind and road noise is bad wait until you discover how bad, REALLY bad the automatic climate control is. Especially in comparison to any european car insofar as windshield defogging/demisting is concerned. The first thing you should do is get a copy, a COMPLETE copy of all the C-BEST options available for your RX and familurize yourself thoroughly with same.

The second thing is to familarize yourself with the non-obvious method to be used to most quickly defog/demist the interior windshield surface and keep it from fogging over spontaneously and totally unexpectedly.

Google for:

wwest demist denso.

It would be nice, really nice, were Lexus to adopt the Honda/Acura SH-AWD system instead of the currently non-functional, COMPLETELY and TOTALLY non-functional, wantabee AWD system they now use. At least with the '08 models you can get the interferring TC, Traction Control system, out of the control loop.

Is it, or is it NOT a true F/AWD system...??

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...showtopic=44671

Safe AND comfortable operation, manual over-ride, of the Lexus automatic climate control

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...87&hl=wwest

My 08 RX 350 is 8 months old and has 10K miles. None of the problems mentioned on this thread have been experienced.

A Garmin 2750 is used for navigation since it can be programmed on a computer to go where you want using the roads you want with the included software. It will find nearby places as well. The "Point A to Point B" nav systems are not flexible enough for my purposes.

Never, NEVER, compare the quality and reliability of the Jag to a Lexus, or for that matter not even an american made luxury car, we ALL know better. Maybe your wife's Jag is a one of a kind REVERSE lemon. And, in my most humble opinion, there is NO european luxury passenger car that comes close, in comparison, to the Lexus LS400/430 series.

Never, NEVER, compare the quality and reliability of the Jag to a Lexus, or for that matter not even an american made luxury car, we ALL know better. Maybe your wife's Jag is a one of a kind REVERSE lemon. And, in my most humble opinion, there is NO european luxury passenger car that comes close, in comparison, to the Lexus LS400/430 series.

One of the car magazines recently tested the Benz S, Audi 8, Jag XJ, and the Lexus LS. The Lexus finished dead last!! I have driven the LS at a Lexus event and thought it was nice. But for the price they all should nice.

Just a note. Per a suggestion on a different forum I applied blue painters tape to my side window glass where it meets the plastic channel on the door. The wind noise is completely gone!!!! I will show the tech this on Friday and I hope they can find a permanent repair. :)

A Garmin 2750 is used for navigation since it can be programmed on a computer to go where you want using the roads you want with the included software. It will find nearby places as well. The "Point A to Point B" nav systems are not flexible enough for my purposes.

I use a Navigon. It can be used in more than one vehicle and it can be taken anywhere in your pocket. It can also be mounted in a more convenient and safe location.

One of the car magazines recently tested the Benz S, Audi 8, Jag XJ, and the Lexus LS. The Lexus finished dead last!! I have driven the LS at a Lexus event and thought it was nice. But for the price they all should nice.

Just a note. Per a suggestion on a different forum I applied blue painters tape to my side window glass where it meets the plastic channel on the door. The wind noise is completely gone!!!! I will show the tech this on Friday and I hope they can find a permanent repair. :)

"one of the car magazines..."

Would you mind telling us which magazine? I doubt if I have a subscription but if I do I will cancel immediately.

The magazine is Motor Trend. Go to Motor Trends site, look under luxury car road tests and see the truth for your self. I was wrong about the Audi in the test. It was a Maserati.

One of the car magazines recently tested the Benz S, Audi 8, Jag XJ, and the Lexus LS. The Lexus finished dead last!! I have driven the LS at a Lexus event and thought it was nice. But for the price they all should be nice.

"one of the car magazines..."

Would you mind telling us which magazine? I doubt if I have a subscription but if I do I will cancel immediately.

The magazine was Motor Trend. Go to their site and look under luxury car road test and you will see the article. I was wrong about the Audi in the test, it was a Maserti. :D

I smell troll.

Way to read between the lines SK. Some are more obvious than others. You can find a lot of them on car review sites that post consumer comments. I suppose when dealers and staff are losing sales to the competition and can't fight back with a superior product, they resort to trashing them on as many sites as possible. I don't think they give readers enough credit to recognize ringers when they see one.