A Few Thoughts

eatingupblacktop

There was a thread just now removed (and rightly so) that got little too personal. It impelled me to post this. I hope I'm not contravening any rules here and I'm not specifically looking for any responses, just expressing some thoughts.

Let's face it, the level of expertise on this board varies as much as the locations of the members and the personalities behind the avatars. I've notice there are some qualified mechanics as members (some are even Lexus techs) who don't mix it up too much, but when they do, they try not to overwhelm the readers with tech stats that most members would find difficult to process. Many times a general explanation will help someone asking for help better than a treatise on flow mechanics and thermal dynamics. Imo anyone responding to a posting should consider the nature of the post. If there are specific tech questions being asked then a general response probably won't help the poster but should not be excluded because of it's generality....there maybe some readers who are interested in learning, (and I would say most), and who will benefit from an exchange no matter what the level. On the otherhand, posts that are vague or general in nature probably reflect the limitations of the author (who is seeking help) and should deserve a response that is within their level of understanding without accompanying sarcastic comment or derision. After all this board exists as an exchange of information. Finding a common language for that exchange is the challenge and from what I've read, the members do very well. Heated exchanges occur from time to time and are inevitable when people feel passionate about a topic. I find it interesting to read some of the strong exchanges by the original founders from years ago that continued for years and resurface every once in a while. Nevertheless, all the ones I read maintained their civility. Good examples for the rest of us. Personally I've read some posts that have left me with a sore face from laughing so hard. Humor is always welcome. Every one, sooner or later has an opinion and whether based on education or experience, they are entitled to it. So I say let's enjoy the diversity of the membership and live and let live.

I enjoy coming here to help others and to get help myself, but my main motivation is to try and build a knowledge base that we can all refer too. Thats why I like to add a lot of verbage to my replies in the hope that the thread search tool will pick up on them, sorry if you have to wade through the chaff.

I find the level of maturity around here a key ingredient of its success and have a had a few good bellyaches from laughing myself.

I hope you state side guys don't mind the rest of the world hijacking your board, but the level of activity is what draws the international crowd.

Thanks!

I enjoy coming here to help others and to get help myself, but my main motivation is to try and build a knowledge base that we can all refer too. Thats why I like to add a lot of verbage to my replies in the hope that the thread search tool will pick up on them, sorry if you have to wade through the chaff.

I find the level of maturity around here a key ingredient of its success and have a had a few good bellyaches from laughing myself.

I hope you state side guys don't mind the rest of the world hijacking your board, but the level of activity is what draws the international crowd.

Thanks!

Happy to have you :cheers: You have been a very informative member and I respect that. ;) Keep up the great posting.

My two cents:

It is like everything in life, you have to gain some respect and respect at the same time. But once you let the members understand the reasons why we are here, because we love our cars, usually everything is just fine again!

To the new members use the search feature, use the knowledge articles, if after looking all of it,nothing makes sense, shoot with the question, somehow, somewhere we will find an answer, or you will find it at the end for all of us. I mod my exhaust system making it a double pipe and the car feels great. I would encourge everyone to do so if possible, the engine in my humble opinion, if it was going to last 300,000 miles now it can go for 600,000 miles with the drop of pressure. Cannot say the same for the gaskets that have become brittle.

CPR

I know that I'm hardly a gear head, but I contribute wherever I feel I can offer some info, or inject a bit of humor ;) Honestly, I just read some of the answers out of an owner's manual j/k LOL. In a more serious tone, we come here to exchange ideas, learn, and for most, feel a sense of community through our passion for our cars. Like some of you guys said, we should practice being respectful at the very least, and (unless it's obviously offensive) we have to remember that many of us are not English majors, or poets, so a lot of things can be lost in translation and misinterpreted. To sum it up, the majority of all you guys do a great job, and thankfully it's just a jackass here and there that tries to sound big, bad, and important that we have to deal with from time to time. :cheers: