Xm Radio

tom502

Why don't you consider the Delphi XM Roady; should set in front of the gear selector---nothing shows except head(approx 4.5"x2.5"x1"), transmits to one of 8 frequencies on the radio. Hide all wires, etc. You do nothing to the orig. radio.

Lexus told me that their XM unit CANNOT be added to pre 04 LS430's. As a result I looked very closely at installing a XM Commander (new small unit for auto installs) into my 01 LS430. I came very close to doing it ... had most all the panels removed from the trunk and had traced out the wiring ( 12 volt line hot all the time, 12 volt acc line and ground) to the radio tuner unit back there and found the antenna cable that feeds that tuner. I was going to mount the head unit in the upper glove box that way NO wiring would be exposed. Only problem is you would have to open the glove box to change channels. I decided that running the cable from the glove box under the carpet and under the back seat was more work than I wanted to do.

• 6 months later...

I was about to install the XM Commander as well, it's still in the garage and will go into the Jeep instead. I'm going with the factory xm unit since I have an 04 LS430.

However:

When mapping out the install, I discovered that the XM Commander head unit fits perfect in the console ashtray. Just take out the ashtray & the lighter assembly, use the included housing and it fits very nicely then you can simply close the cover when not tuning to keep it completely out of sight, but easy to access.

Hey, what channel is 62.

I rather Reggae so I would go for whatever channel that is. I forgot what channel it is exactly... oh I own some of Sirius' stock so I would definately go for them as well.

Hey Kort... you have pics of that part installed in the ash tray? It sure sounds like the way to go. Did you remove the lighter? Did you need anything additional to help it sit inside the ash tray?

Hey, what channel is 62.

I rather Reggae so I would go for whatever channel that is. I forgot what channel it is exactly... oh I own some of Sirius' stock so I would definately go for them as well.

Hey Kort... you have pics of that part installed in the ash tray? It sure sounds like the way to go. Did you remove the lighter? Did you need anything additional to help it sit inside the ash tray?

remix!

Why don't you consider the Delphi XM Roady; should set in front of the gear selector---nothing shows except head(approx 4.5"x2.5"x1"), transmits to one of 8 frequencies on the radio. Hide all wires, etc. You do nothing to the orig. radio.

Is this the same system that they sell at Wal-Mart? Today there I seen a Delphi XM Satellite radio for automobiles for $159.00. It said on the package that only a cassette player already in the car was required. If this is the same system that you have, what all was required to install? Can it just lay on the console? What all wiring is involved? Pros and cons? Can the system also be transferred to another car? Any advice appreciated.

*** To update- I just went to a site and looked at these systems and it is the same. What I did not know until my father told me, is that you have so subscribe. :rolleyes: Does anyone know how much that is?

This may not be the exact same system that tansupplyman is talking about; however, it is very similar.

I have XM in my 96 4-Runner, but I have not tried to install it in either of my Lexus vehicles (93 LS and 94 ES). The system I have (XM Roady) uses a cassette adapter for input into the radio system. I understand there is also a unit that transmits to the system. I have no idea which is better as far as fidelity is concerned. The sound in the 4-Runner is great; however, there is a constant annoying sound from movement in the cassette adapter.

It seems to me that the space available to mount the head unit of the XM Roady between the ash tray and gear selector is marginal. The unit has a bracket which attaches with two-sided tape. The head unit then slides into the bracket. I haven't measured the available space; however, I would question whether you could open the ash tray with the head unit installed in the space. The head unit draws its power from the cigarette lighter. Someone who has tried this might be better able to answer this question.

The wiring involved is the wire from the antenna to the head unit; the power line from the cigarette lighter to the head unit; and the wire from the head unit to the cassette slot. I mounted my antenna at the rear of the 4-Runner and then ran the wire through the rear door opening and along the edge of the carpet to the head unit. To get the antenna mounted on one of my Lexus vehicles, I would probably have to place it on the trunk lid or on part of the body adjacent to the trunk lid. (It has a magnetic mount.)

Yes, the system could be transferred from one vehicle to another. The head unit transfer would probably be quite easy if you replaced the two-sided tape with something like Velcro. The antenna is a different matter. Running the line from the antenna to the head unit would be quite a hassle if you did it often.

The subscription to XM is $9.99 per month. There is also a one time charge when you sign up; however, this is often waived.

A very minor pet peeve with the Roady system. You have to manually turn it on each time you start the car. Does anyone know a way to make it automatically come on?

• 5 months later...

Thanks CU for the reply. I know this post is old, but I wanted to update. I tried to post a while ago, but it would not go through, so I have to type all over again. <_<

Anyway- one of my Christmas gifts from my oarents was a "Delphi Satellite Roady 2". I am not sure if this is the same one we were referring to, but I think it is.

I also got a home adaptor kit with it. I guess I will use it here in the house mostly, until I get a "new" car.

I think the biggest hassle would be the antenna wiring route, but probably not too bad.

I glanced through the instructions, but it looked a bit confusing to me, but it may be where I am so tired and it is not sinking in. :lol:

My dad is going to pay for the first 2 months, as well as the activation fee.

I will let you know how it goes.

Thanks again.

This may not be the exact same system that tansupplyman is talking about; however, it is very similar.

I have XM in my 96 4-Runner, but I have not tried to install it in either of my Lexus vehicles (93 LS and 94 ES).  The system I have (XM Roady) uses a cassette adapter for input into the radio system.  I understand there is also a unit that transmits to the system.  I have no idea which is better as far as fidelity is concerned.  The sound in the 4-Runner is great; however, there is a constant annoying sound from movement in the cassette adapter.

It seems to me that the space available to mount the head unit of the XM Roady between the ash tray and gear selector is marginal.  The unit has a bracket which attaches with two-sided tape.  The head unit then slides into the bracket.  I haven't measured the available space; however, I would question whether you could open the ash tray with the head unit installed in the space.  The head unit draws its power from the cigarette lighter.  Someone who has tried this might be better able to answer this question.

The wiring involved is the wire from the antenna to the head unit; the power line from the cigarette lighter to the head unit; and the wire from the head unit to the cassette slot.  I mounted my antenna at the rear of the 4-Runner and then ran the wire through the rear door opening and along the edge of the carpet to the head unit.  To get the antenna mounted on one of my Lexus vehicles, I would probably have to place it on the trunk lid or on part of the body adjacent to the trunk lid.  (It has a magnetic mount.)

Yes, the system could be transferred from one vehicle to another.  The head unit transfer would probably be quite easy if you replaced the two-sided tape with something like Velcro.  The antenna is a different matter.  Running the line from the antenna to the head unit would be quite a hassle if you did it often.

The subscription to XM is $9.99 per month.  There is also a one time charge when you sign up; however, this is often waived. 

A very minor pet peeve with the Roady system.  You have to manually turn it on each time you start the car.  Does anyone know a way to make it automatically come on?

There is an aftermarket product that will transmit the POWER ON signal once you start the car. It's like using the remote control, but you don't have to touch it.

I spoke with XM and they sent me the link. Let me know if you want it. They also said there is no way to modify their units to do it automatically, but I'll bet they come out with that in the future.

Tom

I am a bit confused now. I was under the impression that the "roady 2" could also be used in the home. I also got a "home adaptor kit", but it seems like that is for the Sky-fi system. My mom said that the lady did not tell her that, but rather that she needed these items. Upon reading the "roady 2" instructions, it states somewhere that it can be used in the home, but on the installation info, it only shows installing in a car.

:unsure:

Check out the XM radio forum at www.xm411.com. They have a list of all the various hardware for XM showing the features of each system.

The Roady 2 is an updated model of the original Roady. The main difference is the Roady 2 has a built-in FM modulator. The original Roady did not come with this feature. A separate FM modulator could be purchased for the Roady. I purchased one of these several weeks ago when I sold my 96 4-Runner and purchased a 2004 Sequoia. I was very disappointed in the sound quality using the modulator. I got over-the-air interference on every channel that was available on the modulator. None of the stations causing the interference were anywhere near here, but they still caused interference. I went back to the cassette interface.

I don't know if the built-in modulator in the Roady 2 is any better than the modulator I purchased for my Roady. Based on what I have tried so far, I could not recommend the FM modulator hook-up. The cassette interface gives better sound quality.

An even better interface is an adapter that connects the XM tuner with the OEM radio. These are available for many cars and cost $60-75. The difficulty here is that you have to remove parts of the dash to get to the back of the radio to plug the adapter in. I plan to order one of these next month for my Sequoia. The cassette interface provides good sound quality; but I don't like the wire running up the front of the dash (from the tuner to the cassette), and I don't like the constant sound the cassette player makes when the cassette adapter is inserted.