Need Help

hvnit2gd

This morning I go out to start the car and find that some of the windows are partially down, the car wont start and there is a clicking noise coming from the fuse box next to the battery. I am very confused, what could be the problem? When I put the key in; there is nothing. Some of the dash icons/lights are vivible when I put the key but they are very faint.

Please help !!!!

This morning I go out to start the car and find that some of the windows are partially down, the car wont start and there is a clicking noise coming from the fuse box next to the battery. I am very confused, what could be the problem? When I put the key in; there is nothing. Some of the dash icons/lights are vivible when I put the key but they are very faint.

Please help !!!!

I don't know about the windows, It does sound like you need a new battery.

probably the relay that tells the starter to "start".... take a voltmeter to your battery....if lower than 12, charge or jump...once you have it running test battery again for around 13.4 volts....if you have a reading like that then your alternator is good. if not, probably an alternator.

Ok, I was able to jump start the car. I also retested the battery with the car running. It read 13.9-14.01A. The altenator does seem like its making a little bit of noise. This also isnt the 1st time that I have had to jump start the car. On a couple of occasions the battery light came on while driving. The car will go an intermittent amount of time and then all the sudden need a jump. I went to autozone and had them test the altenator and battery; both tested fine.

Will the altenator show good life even if it is going out? This car is a 1999 ES300 so the altenator is 8 or so years old.

Sounds to me the battery is going bad, I suggest a Costco one for replacement. The voltage out of the Alternator is correct, by the way I replaced the brushes and bearings in my RX which is a 1999 also. The brushes were worn, but not causing any problems. Batteries can fail, especially when it is cold.

I dont know, but I do know that you could have a cell that is shorting intermitantly in the battery, I have experienced that a couple of times. remember your cold temperatures could really affect it also. If you had 13.9 volts coming out of the alternator, than the battery is just not holding the charge. By the way sometimes the folks at the auto stores dont know how to use the testers properly under a load.

They tested my battery a couple of weeks ago at autozone. It measured 83% life remaining. How accurate are those tests?

I'm in your neck of the woods, Batteries take a beating in this climate (90+ in the summer and -30 in the winter). I have an optima battery and never a problem. :cheers:

I used to love my Optima and now I would not give them 30% of what they are selling for (junk). It lasted me 2.5 years and would not hold a charge any longer (<11.5v). There warrenty process was another joke since I was getting the run around from the dealer (one who supplies to the area).

So in it went into the trash, all 38lbs. I am done with Optima.