Yeah Yeah Yeah More On Noise Stuff/brand Questions

OK so at 16,000 miles in six months I've got rattle at the center console/dash, buzzing from the front seatbelts (left and right) and noise and misalignment of the moon roof. OK so it's at the dealer (whom I love - these guys are the tops and really try to go the extra mile). I said do not mess with it if you think you will make it worse. Anyway they are working on it. The head tech told me that he had been there since the beginning of LEXUS and that it's only in the past few years with the use of newer and lighter materials and increase technology in the cars that he spends a lot of his day chasing rattles in LEXUS cars. Also the whole story about Northeast roads and cold cycles and how any car is subject to developing noises. But the funny thing is the loaner is a brand new 08 250AWD, and with 600 miles on it - it already has noises. I love my car and I like the brand but I also drive 30,000 miles a year and noise bugs the heck out of me.

Do anyone have experience either with other models of Lexus or other brands (mercedes, bmw, audi) of cars in which the interior is totally noise free?

Rattles: TSIB #NV003-06. NV50148 06IS250 and IS350

Parts: 08231-00801 Noise Kit

08231-00810 Wind Noise Kit

Labor: TSIB NV003-06 NV5014 A 2.20. Removed instrument panel and insulated panel clips, HVAC ducts, and defroster nozzle.

YES that is what they are doing...I should note however that my car is an 2007 and that TSB (saw that posted by Barkat) was for 2006 - which means the factory didn't fix in in subsequent models. Heck I think I hear that rattle in the new loaner which is an 08.....

Labor: TSIB NV003-06 NV5014 A 2.20. Removed instrument panel and insulated panel clips, HVAC ducts, and defroster nozzle.

YES that is what they are doing...I should note however that my car is an 2007 and that TSB (saw that posted by Barkat) was for 2006 - which means the factory didn't fix in in subsequent models. Heck I think I hear that rattle in the new loaner which is an 08.....

I didn't have this done.A guy on another IS forum with a '07 IS 350 had it done along with the brake pad TSB.

Hey Clay1, I just got my 07 IS250 rattle fixed at Lexus of Watertown. Not really good place but very close. When I got a car back my NAV got confused showing a wrong location. They might need to order a special CD to get it fixed (another tsb).

I agree about materials and technology. My first LS400 was the best in terms of quality. But as you going to stiffer suspensions it is harder to keep noise down on ugly Boston roads. My Audi S4 V8 is probably an exception but it is in a different category.

What dealer do you get your IS serviced?

Hey Clay1, I just got my 07 IS250 rattle fixed at Lexus of Watertown. Not really good place but very close. When I got a car back my NAV got confused showing a wrong location. They might need to order a special CD to get it fixed (another tsb).

I agree about materials and technology. My first LS400 was the best in terms of quality. But as you going to stiffer suspensions it is harder to keep noise down on ugly Boston roads. My Audi S4 V8 is probably an exception but it is in a different category.

What dealer do you get your IS serviced?

LEXUS of Northbourgh. I have nothing but good things to say about that dealership. They didn'y manufacture the vechicle - they just service it -- so I can't' blame them. They do everything in there ower to help me. It's been there for fou days.

OK so at 16,000 miles in six months I've got rattle at the center console/dash, buzzing from the front seatbelts (left and right) and noise and misalignment of the moon roof. OK so it's at the dealer (whom I love - these guys are the tops and really try to go the extra mile). I said do not mess with it if you think you will make it worse. Anyway they are working on it. The head tech told me that he had been there since the beginning of LEXUS and that it's only in the past few years with the use of newer and lighter materials and increase technology in the cars that he spends a lot of his day chasing rattles in LEXUS cars. Also the whole story about Northeast roads and cold cycles and how any car is subject to developing noises. But the funny thing is the loaner is a brand new 08 250AWD, and with 600 miles on it - it already has noises. I love my car and I like the brand but I also drive 30,000 miles a year and noise bugs the heck out of me.

Do anyone have experience either with other models of Lexus or other brands (mercedes, bmw, audi) of cars in which the interior is totally noise free?

Dont feel so bad; Front brakes 5,000 they replaced no cost, rattle in dash 6,000 they fixed somewhat, rattle all over the place door panels etc, leak in truck, tranny problem since 6,000 miles. 16,000 miles now my I can hear the engine tappets when its the engine is cold. This car has the oil and filter changed every 5,000. This is an 07 is250 all wheel drive. My SRX caddy had its first problem @ 48,000 and that because my wife crashed it.

• 2 weeks later...

Dont feel so bad; Front brakes 5,000 they replaced no cost, rattle in dash 6,000 they fixed somewhat, rattle all over the place door panels etc, leak in truck, tranny problem since 6,000 miles. 16,000 miles now my I can hear the engine tappets when its the engine is cold. This car has the oil and filter changed every 5,000. This is an 07 is250 all wheel drive. My SRX caddy had its first problem @ 48,000 and that because my wife crashed it.

Had the noise kit installed on my 2006 is250 at 15,000 miles...Had them use insulating felt tape around the seatbelt area and the dashboard, which fixed it somewhat but only after about 5 tries...but now at 30,000 door panels rattle like no other, rear view mirror, steering column, and seats creak like crazy, and all this noise is driving me bonkers. :wacko:

but at least i'm glad that i read this post, since it shows that i'm not alone... T.T

Had the noise kit installed on my 2006 is250 at 15,000 miles...Had them use insulating felt tape around the seatbelt area and the dashboard, which fixed it somewhat but only after about 5 tries...but now at 30,000 door panels rattle like no other, rear view mirror, steering column, and seats creak like crazy, and all this noise is driving me bonkers. :wacko:

but at least i'm glad that i read this post, since it shows that i'm not alone... T.T

So I took my 07 IS250 with 13k miles in to the dealer for the same rattles in the center dash that everyone else has complained about. On the first attempt they just stuffed some padding between some pieces of the dash hoping that would solve it. Of course within a day it was rattling again. Upon taking it back to the dealer, my service reps response was "just turn up the radio". Can't say I was thrilled with that answer. Even though the TSIB was for the 06, they will take the dash out and put in the insulation kit, which they did. Problem was solved for about 3 or 4 weeks until we had a cold spell where the temperature dropped into the 40's. I'm guessing the dash contracted a bit and whatever they put in there fell out or moved around. Now the rattle is 3x worse than ever before. Maybe I'm just extra sensitive to these rattles now, but I swear I hear them coming from all over the car...door panels, center console, seat belt area, even the some where in the back seat occasionally. Prior to owning my 250 I had a Honda with 80k miles that didn't rattle a single bit. I really love my 250, but I'm extremely disappointed with these rattles. To answer someone's question about other Lexus models having rattle problems, the loaner they have me in at the moment is an 08 ES350 and it appears very solid. Of course that could all change if you add another 10k miles to it...

The loaner I had last week was an RX350 with 1,500 miles on it. It had rattles overhead that I couldn't quite figure out.

I am having the cracking in my center dash, due to the weather getting cooler. It just all of a sudden pops. I haven't had rattling there yet with this new one, like I did with the '06. I've got something in the back, towards the passenger side seat belt area, that is rattling. And yes, I just turn up my radio. I don't have time to keep taking this car back. I'm threatening my husband for a BMW even though the new model isn't as good-looking as this car, and the service is so much better at Lexus. That's the only thing that is keeping me in this car, is the excellent service I'm getting....... except for that annoying 888 number that keeps calling me to find out how my service was.........

I feel your pain... I did finally bring the car in and they got rid of the rattle (for now). I really like the physical design of the car but LEXUS does need to get on these issues. I sent the following e-mail to Owner of my dealership.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Dear XXXXXXX,

I had the pleasure of meeting you many months ago in the service bay of your dealership. I am writing to commend your dealership in sales and service, as well as hoping that you could pass along a message to LEXUS at the corporate level.

I purchased an IS 250 AWD in April of this year. Over the past 8 months I have logged close to 18,000 miles on that car driving back and forth to Boston. I have had the privilege of working with your service department, mostly on warranty issues, and I would like to commend them on their professionalism and courtesy towards me and my concerns. They have labored to address my concerns promptly and with the most positive of attitudes. So my congratulations to you on putting together such a class act.

I am also writing to ask that you pass along a “message” to LEXUS Corporate. I personally think that they really need to examine the mechanics of the design of the interior of their vehicles. One of the main reasons I purchased a LEXUS was for unparalleled quiet within the cabin environment. What I have found instead was an ever growing number of rattles, buzzes and other noises growing with every 1,000 or so miles. I am aware of the claim that northeast climate and roads are brutal on cars. But nevertheless, just a simple search of the LEXUS Forums will unveil the epidemic proportion of these problems from southern California to northern New England; from the UK to Australia. I can also tell you that many, if not all, of the new 07 and 08 loaners (IS, ES Models) that I have driven exhibit many of the same problems that brought me in for service; vehicles with as low as 600 miles on the odometer. It is my understanding that this litany of problems has only arisen in the past several years, and that earlier models produced by LEXUS where not hounded by these problems. These type of problems erode the LEXUS brand.

I am, in fact, the target buyer for LEXUS. A 45 years old with my own growing business. I will be purchasing a new vehicle most likely every two years. Peace and quiet is paramount to me on the interior (and exterior for that matter) of the car.

If I do chose to buy another LEXUS it will be for the primary reason of the unparalleled support of your dealership. Once again, I am grateful to you and your entire staff for great customer service. Best wishes this holiday season.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Dealerships will always welcome you to visit them because they get paid for the service they do. BUT the rattles/noises will reoccur again and again and they get paid again and again. The issue of the weather is not and should not be considered as a contributing factor to noise. In fact my service manager said"the IS noise occur when the car gets warm. I don't accept that. I took my car to about three different dealerships and two of them said VERBATIM: "WE CAN TRY TO HELP BUT WE CAN NOT FIX DESIGN PROBLEMS." So, my conclusion is, at least this IS has design flaws; I said this before and as I recall Bartkat disagreed. It is a fact and it is unfortunate and I imagine Lexus will pay a heavy price on the long run. What I'm thinking of these days is this IS250 does not produce 200 hp and I repeat it, it does not produce 200 hp; possibly it only produces around 165 hp or so.

If Lexus is thinking of future then they got to do something.

I wish everyone here very happy holidays.

I agree with the dealer, that it does occur as the car is warming up. It has been cold here, and as the heater is on and the interior is warming up is when most of the popping has been happening. I'm about to the point that if I get another IS, and it doesn't do this, I would miss it, lol!

Happy holidays to everyone, as well!

Mine's had the kerpop more often lately, like once a week. It does it after the car is parked and has been sitting for about 10-15 minutes and only does it once. May be opposite of yours because I've been running the heater lately and when parked the car is cooling down.

We don't buy a car for one season nor we are supposed to put this car in a constant temp. chamber. Russia makes very cheap cars that run in Syberia and in Africa. I read Infiniti got similar problems; this confirms the industry wide saying "Tokyo Nights".

The queation is how on earth could Toyota make cheaper cars better than luxury ones?