$1500 Quote For Service I Don't Think I Need

bostonk

Hmmm... or Argghhh... should really be the heading!

$340: I have the servomotor clacking sound behind the dash, they want $340 to replace the servomotor. I said, People on the Lexus forum say they've just cleaned it out successfully.... he said, no, definitely you have to replace the whole thing. Whatever... if it's not going to crash my car I'll live with it. (I WISH I were handy, I would do it myself based on the instructions in the forum... but I can barely put together that put-it-together yourself furniture!)

$921: At 67,000 miles I have a tiny whine. He says, replace the timing belt or the car will stall and do the water pump too while you're at it. Any reason I should listen to him on the timing belt part of it? I'm thinking, if I need to have the work done I'm going to do it at my local Toyota dealer unless you guys tell me differently... since they're quoting $540.

$161 + $130 Power steering and alternator belts (which my Toyota dealer will include as part of the $540 timing belt replacement).

So... apart from this being highway robbery, at what point do I "have" to replace the timing belt, and can I just have Toyota do it instead of paying an extra $600 for a loaner car and a nice cup'o'joe?

You guys are the best!

The servo is just an annoyance, get to it when you get to it. I'm not surprised that they would not want to clean it. Only way to fix for sure is to replace it and they don't want to have do it twice.

I have never ever heard of a timing belt giving a warning whine when it is near the end of it's life. Sounds like BS to me. At 67K I would doubt that the belt needs a second thought. Water pump? Maybe when you do the timing belt at 90K.

The sounds you are hearing are very likely from the accessory belts. Just have the Toyota dealer (or anyone else for that matter) replace those and your good to go.

• 2 months later...

I have a low mileage 99 RX300 due for 60k service.

Dealer says due to age of vehicle to do the timing belt replacement.

Is timing belt replacement more dependant on mileage/usage or time ?

I drive low mileage (~7mi to work , although sometimes in bad "stop-go" traffic)

I believe age is a factor, but maybe somebody else will pop in. The Car is 8 years old. The belts are good for 100k miles easily. Hope one of the mechanics pipes in for you. From my experience rubber does age and break down but as for the timing belt I do not know.

I have a low mileage 99 RX300 due for 60k service.

Dealer says due to age of vehicle to do the timing belt replacement.

Is timing belt replacement more dependant on mileage/usage or time ?

I drive low mileage (~7mi to work , although sometimes in bad "stop-go" traffic)

I had the timing belt replaced on my 2000 LS400 last summer at 90,000 miles and almost exactly seven years from the car's July 2000 in-service date. I went one year past the number of recommended years on the timing belt.

The old belt looks good as new with no signs of wear or cracking. I kept it as a souvenir. I guess I could have let it go longer but I would rather trust Toyota's (ahem, Lexus) engineers than my visual assessment of the belt's condition.

I think pretty much all the Lexus models have to have their timing belts changed at 90k or 6yrs whichever comes first. I am the fourth owner of my '95 LS 400 and the first to change the timing belt at 113,000 miles. I saved the belt, and it didn't look much different from the new one that took its place. Rubber does have a "shelf life" so maybe I was lucky, but apparently most have had the same experience as me. I would recommend changing the water pump along with the timing belt, and I agree with you taking it to the Toyota dealership instead of the Lexus dealership.

Tell us what the Toyota dealer estimates. In my experience its not much less. When I had my 90k done it was $1200 at Lexus, like $990 at Toyota. The extra $210 was more than worth it to have my guy take care of it, be assured the right parts and techs are used, and get the loaner for the day.

Tell us what the Toyota dealer estimates. In my experience its not much less. When I had my 90k done it was $1200 at Lexus, like $990 at Toyota. The extra $210 was more than worth it to have my guy take care of it, be assured the right parts and techs are used, and get the loaner for the day.

Was in a training course entire day - did not have a chance to call anyone yet, but sent e-mail requests out last night.

Email responses from lexus dealers :

-- Dealer 1:

In looking at the age of your car and your request, I will recommend the 7yr. / 90,000 mile service instead. This service includes everything you are inquiring about:

Oil change, rotate and balance the tires, replace the engine air filter, flush out the engine coolant, flush out the brake fluid, replace the spark plugs, replace the timing belt, replace the wiper inserts and perform a thorough inspection of the entire vehicle. That service runs $1199.56 including tax. To add on the water pump, would be an additional $272.02 including tax.

-- Dealer 2:

The 60,000 mile service will consist of the following main maintenance

-Oil and filter change

-Rotate and balance tires

-Replace engine air filter

-Replace wiper inserts

-Install fuel,oil and power steering conditioners

-Flush brake fluid system and fill

-4 wheel alignment

-Replace drive(serpentine) belt(s)

-40 point safety inspection

The cost is $689.95 total(parts/labor/tax).

The timing belt is usually due at 90,000 miles, however age may be

factor with your year vehicle. Timing belt, waterpump, thermostat and coolant- $849.95.

-- No response from Toyota yet .....

Questions :

Is it necessary to have water pump replaced ?

How does pricing sound ?

Both quotes come to ~1500 if I include water pump.

One other point : service manual states timing belt replacement is for "special operating conditions".

So is it truly necessary to replace at 90k/72 months ?

How easy is it to check the condition of the timing belt ?

Yes, if you are replacing the timing belt, do the water pump at the same time .... if the water pump were to fail before the next change, you will be doing it again.

Overall, the pricing sounds real high, but the Lexus dealer is expensive.

Have you considered an independent that specializes in Toyota's? When I got the 60K on our RX330, Lexus was ~$900, the Toyota dealer was ~$625 and the independent was ~$400.

This same place charges about $450 to do the timing belt with water pump, so shop around.

Also, on the V6 RX330, the engine is an interference design, so if the belt would go, it could do some pretty serious damage.

Was in a training course entire day - did not have a chance to call anyone yet, but sent e-mail requests out last night.

Email responses from lexus dealers :

-- Dealer 1:

In looking at the age of your car and your request, I will recommend the 7yr. / 90,000 mile service instead. This service includes everything you are inquiring about:

Oil change, rotate and balance the tires, replace the engine air filter, flush out the engine coolant, flush out the brake fluid, replace the spark plugs, replace the timing belt, replace the wiper inserts and perform a thorough inspection of the entire vehicle. That service runs $1199.56 including tax. To add on the water pump, would be an additional $272.02 including tax.

-- Dealer 2:

The 60,000 mile service will consist of the following main maintenance

-Oil and filter change

-Rotate and balance tires

-Replace engine air filter

-Replace wiper inserts

-Install fuel,oil and power steering conditioners

-Flush brake fluid system and fill

-4 wheel alignment

-Replace drive(serpentine) belt(s)

-40 point safety inspection

The cost is $689.95 total(parts/labor/tax).

The timing belt is usually due at 90,000 miles, however age may be

factor with your year vehicle. Timing belt, waterpump, thermostat and coolant- $849.95.

-- No response from Toyota yet .....

Questions :

Is it necessary to have water pump replaced ?

How does pricing sound ?

Both quotes come to ~1500 if I include water pump.

One other point : service manual states timing belt replacement is for "special operating conditions".

So is it truly necessary to replace at 90k/72 months ?

How easy is it to check the condition of the timing belt ?

The water pump price is way off. I believe the darn thing cost less than $100 from Toyota. And the labor to do it is minimal considering the timing belt cover is already off.