Trd Sports Thermostat

kluthage421

A thermastat is a thermastat, unless you want to change the temputure range of the engine. But you should only want to do that if you have heavily modified the motor.

• 4 months later...
A thermastat is a thermastat, unless you want to change the temputure range of the engine. But you should only want to do that if you have heavily modified the motor.

Then why would they even make one for a 97-01 Camry/ES300?

For god sake, a thermastat is a very simple part. opens at certain temperature and closes when coolant is below a certain temperature. as long as it meets the spec., it makes no difference rather it's sports type or brand name.

yet. .that sport thermastat must be very sporty that it cannot be seen once installed. so much for showing off.

I've been told to not even bother with the TRD thermostat & just get an OE one if yours need replacing. The TRD one is not cheap either.

:cheers:

From a cold start, my ES has a habit of running very slightly above normal operating temperature (just above the centre line on the gauge) for the first 15 minutes or so, and then the needle stabilizes at the proper mid-range position on the gauge and never climbs after that, even if the engine is under considerable load.

Questions:

Is this sort of occurance considered "normal" from a cold start?

Would a different thermostat which opens at a lower temp (such as the TRD version) make a difference for those first 15 minutes in which it runs a little bit warmer than normal operating temperature? Or, is this situation harmless?

This all just a guess....

A specialty thermostat might be designed to keep the coolant within a tighter temperature tolerance range than the OEM, off the shelf, one. Almost all the thermostats I have installed over the years, not all taht many, really, have had a small bypass opening and that IMMHO would result in the engine being somewhat slower in coming up to operational temperature. Eliminating that opening or making it even smaller, would undoubtedly allow the engine to come up to operational temperatures a little quicker.

Not that I would EVER buy one, mind you,