1999 Ls400 - Whats It Worth?

ford212.809

I have owned a 1998 ES for 2 1/2 years with no unscheduled repairs. Very satisfied with the 193,000 miles to date.

Last week, I lost a eBay auction on a 1999 LS400 - by $100.00. However, prior to my bidding, I talked to the seller three different times. We swapped phone #'s just in case. The winning bidder failed to contact the seller within the 36 hour timeframe. The seller offered me the car for my last bid that I made. The main story is this - on a scale of 1-100, this car is a solid 95. I talked to the dealer that maintained the car for the entire ownership of the ONE owner. With 58,000 miles on the car, the 60K mile service has been done this summer. The car was sold and owned in the Miami, Fl. area the entire time.

The car is black/grey exterior with a totally flawless tan interior. It has a cd changer, sunroof, xenon lights, and polished aluminum wheels. EXTREMELY CLEAN and MAINTAINED.

I have a chance to buy this car for $15,600.00.

What do the LS experts think? Is it a good price?

I'm not an LS expert, but I picked up a '98 LS with 37.5 k miles on it for $19.5k (in line with KBB and NADA...and it was about all I wanted to spend on another car anyway). All scheduled maintenance performed, one-owner lease return. A solid 9 if not a 10. I really wasn't on the market for a Lexus, but after a test drive, I drove it home. Yes, it does look like the PS pump is weeping. I haven't taken the engine cover off to really look yet.

The car you're interested in sounds like a decent deal. Unless it has been in a wreck or drives funky. Have you compared the asking price off of KBB and NADA guide? An in-person look and test drive is always the acid test.

The price that I bid is in line with Edmunds and KBB. The Carfax report is spotless. As said earlier, I talked with the dealer, the dealer reports no problems at all and the owner always had Lexus do the service.

This car is one of dozens of LS's (1998-2002) that I have looked at in the last three months. It is the cleanest/straightest car that I have seen to date.

Does the car have other options? For example, if the car does not have heated seats (probably not needed in Miami!), are you going to be "kicking yourself" later for not buying an LS that has them?

Over the years I have noticed that Miami and Phoenix seem to have an unusually large number of low mileage Lexus cars available -- often "snowbirds" who keep a car in a southern location for winter-only use.

Ford,

I recently purchased a 98 LS400 with 62k miles from the original owner earlier this year. Dealer maintained and in cream puff shape.

He wanted $14,700. Short story is I let him "sit" on it for 3 weeks and offered him $14k and ask him to have the 60k

mile service done and front brakes replaced at the Lexus dealer. He agreed to the deal. The service cost him $850.

Now, I have never owned a Lexus before and this car has impressed me beyond belief. So was it worth it? You bet!

Even though I really wanted heated seats, this was originally a Phoenix car shipped to Indiana (because of a job change)

and does not have them. Oh well, you give up some things for others. I'll live.

Your original question: "Is it a good price?" Yeah, probably. I would ask you if you have actually seen, smelled, driven the car?

If not, caveat emptor! It gives me the willys just thinking about buying a car on Ebay w/o driving.

If you can verify w/o doubt everything about the car, then you will not regret buying this vehicle even if you "could" have gotten

a car a bit cheaper. All my 2 cents, natch(and worth every penny) :unsure:

Another thought.....If it has air adjustable suspension I'd pass on it. From reading different Lexus forums, air suspension is something to avoid. Very costly to repair when the shocks start leaking.

98-00 LS400s with air suspension are rare. I sometimes have clearance issues under the rear of the car - mainly contact between the ground and the trailer hitch when pulling out of driveways when the car is fully loaded with passengers and luggage. If I had it to do over, I would definitely buy a 2000 LS400 with air suspension.

Anyone else?

It seems maybe just the slightest bit high, but not enough to be a deal breaker if you really want the car. I just bought a 98 with 98,000 miles...totally cherry....for $10,500. To me, $14,000 sounds about right.

I have owned a 1998 ES for 2 1/2 years with no unscheduled repairs. Very satisfied with the 193,000 miles to date.

Last week, I lost a eBay auction on a 1999 LS400 - by $100.00. However, prior to my bidding, I talked to the seller three different times. We swapped phone #'s just in case. The winning bidder failed to contact the seller within the 36 hour timeframe. The seller offered me the car for my last bid that I made. The main story is this - on a scale of 1-100, this car is a solid 95. I talked to the dealer that maintained the car for the entire ownership of the ONE owner. With 58,000 miles on the car, the 60K mile service has been done this summer. The car was sold and owned in the Miami, Fl. area the entire time.

The car is black/grey exterior with a totally flawless tan interior. It has a cd changer, sunroof, xenon lights, and polished aluminum wheels. EXTREMELY CLEAN and MAINTAINED.

I have a chance to buy this car for $15,600.00.

What do the LS experts think? Is it a good price?

That seems like a pretty decent price considering the miles and condition of the car, although low mileage isn't as big of a selling point on a LS400 as it is on other cars, at least not to me. LOL Also keep in mind that the 90k service is right around the corner, and if you're not a DIY'er, it's going to be $1k+ for that service.

You know age isn't a big issue with the LS400, as evidenced by us on here. You also know mileage isn't a big issue for the LS400 either, as evidenced by us on here. What is an issue is maintenance performed, but you know it was done correctly by the dealership. So, I would ask yourself this question: What else can I buy for $15,600 with less than 60k miles, perfectly maintenced, that is as nice, reliable and safe as this LS400? I think you have your answer. :cheers:

If you don't buy it, I'm sure someone else will for that price, especially in such a large area as Miami.

I bought my 95' with 81k miles back in 2004 for $14,200...same maintence records and owner history as the one you're looking at. I think I've got it sold for $8,900, will know for sure on Saturday. It now has 131k.

I bought the 1999 LS 400 with 58000 miles in January 2007 for $17k. Since we bought it, my wife and I agree we would have paid more. Awesome car. Bring it to a Lexus dealer for an inspection to verify CarFax. You won't be dissapointed.

Tell me more................Options, color, etc.

98-00 LS400s with air suspension are rare. I sometimes have clearance issues under the rear of the car - mainly contact between the ground and the trailer hitch when pulling out of driveways when the car is fully loaded with passengers and luggage. If I had it to do over, I would definitely buy a 2000 LS400 with air suspension.

My Dad's 98 had air suspension (I think I've seen 3 98-00 LS400s with it ever, and I've seen a lot of them). He had 160k on it when he traded it for his 04 and he was just starting to see a slight dip to one side when it was shut off indicating a slight possible leakage in one of the struts. I'd get one with it too if I could find one.

Howdy, I'm new to this forum, my first post.

My job is very similar to a traveling salesman at times, and I spend a LOT of time driving. I decided to get a second car instead of continuing to wear out my pickup. After looking at lots of different models of Toyota, Lexus, Honda and Acura ... the LS400 won out and I started my search for *THE* LS400.

After a lot of online research I decided I wanted to go with a '98 - '00 model with the VVTi motor and 5 speed transmission.

I wound up spending more than I intended to, and bought an absolutely immaculate white '99 LS400 with 89K. I'd like to see a definitive standard versus optional equipment list, but I believe this is a fairly standard car with few options.

280357612.jpg

280357611.jpg

280357608.jpg

280357606.jpg

280357602.jpg

I picked the car up today and absolutely love it. It has three flaws that I have found, it needs wiper blades, there is a chip in the windshield, and the hood struts are weak. It runs and drives like a new car, and runs silent and strong.

I paid $15K for this car, and probably overpaid a little. But this car is the color I wanted, and it's the car that was "owned by an older couple since new, had all the services done at Lexus, and was traded on a new Lexus" that I was hoping to find.