Front Turn Signal Lamp Replacement

golferwalt

• 2 weeks later...

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I have the same problem and Clublexus did not provide a definitive answer. But I was able to finally figure it out so here goes:

I have a '98 ES 300 and my front passenger turn signal is failed so I get the annoying blinkety blink at a high rate ( I think this is to force you to replace before you go insane :P ).

So, this is what I did - on a 1998 ES300:

1. Remove the the plastic retaining pin - kinda tricky until you figure out how to do this. It is actually a pin within a pin which when both pin heads are flush, it pushes open the bottom of the pin to prevent the pin from popping out. So carefully raise the top pin from the bottom (they are flush so you cant even tell that there are two things there).

2. After you remove this you should be able to slightly lift the plastic cover and have access to a small phillips head screw that holds down the assembly.

3. This is the tricky part and this drove me nuts for a monthv - you remove the fixture by sliding the assembly from the rear to the front of the care.

4. Its tight and it finally dawned on me how to get more leverage since I don't have GI Joe kung fu grip fingers. I used a small plastic tie wrap and inserted into the hole that the phillips screw was in and gently, but steadily pulled forward with this while I also used my free hand to guide and also provide some force.

5. Success! Now you have access to the bulb - let me know if anyone has a better or easier way :cheers:

• 3 weeks later...

under the hood, lift that black plastic piece at the front, should only be 1 screw under there to hold the corner light on, remove the screw with a philips screwdriver & then grip the corner lamp and pull towards the front of the car...a little hard at first, but if u do it often enough, just slides in and out...hope i was of some help

I too have a 98 ES300 with a rapidly blinker on the right side and finally figured how to change the bulbs. Problem is that all filaments in the front and rear bulbs are OK!!!!

Also, occasionally the rapid blinker goes back to the normal rate with front and rear bulbs operating normally. Makes me think that this is perhaps some sort of blinker module that must be replaced...but where?

problem may be a filiment is broken but still closes the gap every so often

or atleast showing the right resistance causing the light to blink normally

change both bulbs in question

it is cheap to do after all

as the first place to start

99% of the problem with turn signal bulbs today is the design. The new "wedge" bulbs tend to loosen up in the socket. The contacts don't make good connections and this creates a resistance problem that sets off the rapid blinking. When going to locate the "bad" buld, we wiggle, joggle, shake, vibrate the car and or trouble socket enought to eliminate the problem and thus we find to bad buld. Sometimes just riding over a bumpy road is enought to set it right. Other times, corrosion has to be removed or the contact wires just have to be "widened".

This was recently the case on a rental I had in Florida.

good luck to all you rapid blinkers.

steviej