Nitrogen In Tires

I just had my Camry serviced at my dealership

and they convinced me to spend $29.95 to

have the tires inflated with nitrogen rather

than plain old air. They said the tire retains

its pressure 4X better, wears longer and you

get better mileage, handling and ride. Money

down the drain or worthwhile spent.

It's worth it to me in the long run. I've seen better MPG, less pressure changes in the tires. Lower tire temps which equals longer tire life. I've been running it for about 2 years now and it's well worth it in my opinion.

I tried nitrogen, added for free at Costco, in two RX400h's and a Porsche 968, and monitored the cold pressures closely. In all three vehicles (12 tires), I lost about 4 psi in about 2 months. I found this unacceptable. I couldn't adjust pressures in my garage and didn't want to make monthly trips to Costco so I dumped the nitrogen and went back to good old air.

Tom

as far as i know i have nitrogen in my 400h from the factory, and i have been adding air from the station pump over time. especially since i have one tire with a slow leak. it is my understanding nitrogen and air mix well together, am i compromising all the benefits of the nitrogen when i mix the two, or is it not a problem.

i thought i would get this sorted out since i am in goodyear tire hell and need to replace them soon.

Since air is already approximately 80% nitrogen just use free floating air. This enthusiasm for "nitrogen only" in the tires will soon wane and then some other fad will come about to make your car "special" and everyone will have to have it. Maybe spinner hub caps and hydraulic shock absorbers for some hop will make a comeback. It is all more ego than science.

Perception is paramount for humans so those that state that nitrogen is the only way to go, gives better mileage, a smoother ride, the tires last longer, or any other claim really believe it. So do the Ford vs. Chevy crowd, Gemini vs. Sagittarius, and whatever else causes loyalty based on emotion rather than facts. Show me the scientific evidence from an independent lab that proves even one claim about nitrogen in the tires. Enough ranting.

Nitrogen has been used in aircraft tires for years. Primarily because aircraft use magnesium wheels and nitrogen contains no moisture to cause oxidation that weakens the metal over time.

Costco is free.

Snake oil!

Oh, come on ... it ain't so bad ... in fact, ya know what I do? I put 78% nitrogen in MY tires ... it's called compressed air :D After all, that's what the atmosphere already has in it! So the other way you can look at it is: you're not really getting nitrogen, but rather you're just removeing the other 20% or so of oxygen, carbon dioxide, and a few other inert gasses. Stats show only a very small difference it removing the other 20+ % of the gasses. So it's not completely a gymic, but maybe just a little bit gymic -ie

Pragmaticly though? You're really wasting your time. Here's why: You aren't really getting a "nitrogen fill". Why? Because that'd require the tires to be mounted on the rims in a vacume, THEN filled with nitrogen. When Costco (or whom ever) mounts the tire on the rim, prior to filling the tire w/ nitrogen, it's sitting there FILLED already, with non-pure nitrogen / regular ol' air, at ambient pressure (14.7 lbs at sea level). Filled with pressurized nitrogen yes, to 36lbs, but already contaminatd with regular ol' air prior to filling. Do you want to REALLY fill w/ pure nitrogen ? That'll really cost you, to have 'em filled in a vacume.

The whole thing is kinda picky younie.

I believe that Costco claims to pull a (small) vacuum before the nitrogen fill, but I did not choose to stand around and watch in Arizona heat.

Tom

I believe that Costco claims to pull a (small) vacuum before the nitrogen fill, but I did not choose to stand around and watch in Arizona heat.

Tom

LOL, Costco does not vacuum the tires or draw out all the air prior to refilling. Just think at the added cost, it just doesn't make sense. What coscto pretty much does is pull the schraeder valve and let the tires deflate, then, they put back the schraeder valve and refill with nitrogen.

As for the added benefits, though minor, they are more often than not offset by the fact that you can not top up the tires without having to go back to a nitrogen filling station. So if what was once a routine item you could do maintenance on, one of two things eventually happens.... a) you neglect to check tire pressure since you can't refill, or B) you don't bother alltogether and you wait till the next time you are in for service at a Nitrogen filling station.

Personally, I have tried, and eventually never bothered to go back. The snake oil in the formula are the one's charging to fill your tires with Nitrogen only.

Cheers,

MadloR

Inflating With Nitrogen

Many regulatory agencies require the use of nitrogen when inflating tires for aircraft above a specified Maximum Takeoff Weight (MTOW). Michelin recommends the use of nitrogen when inflating all aircraft tires. Nitrogen provides a stable, inert inflation gas while eliminating the introduction of moisture into the tire cavity.

Aircraft operating procedures for initial inflation and adjustments must comply with applicable instructions as given in FAR 25 or JAR 25.

Oxygen concentration should never exceed 5%.

I visited Costco yesterday. They use a machine that they call an "auto-inflator" which deflates the tire, fills it with nitrogen to a set pressure, then does it a second time to improve the "purity." FYI they also have changed their policy and now only add nitrogen to tires when they sell them new. No big deal to me as I gave up on the concept as previous stated.

Tom

I visited Costco yesterday. They use a machine that they call an "auto-inflator" which deflates the tire, fills it with nitrogen to a set pressure, then does it a second time to improve the "purity." FYI they also have changed their policy and now only add nitrogen to tires when they sell them new. No big deal to me as I gave up on the concept as previous stated.

Tom

I may very well stand corrected, but none the less, give me a break John Stostle. How much purer can they get the Nitrogen refill? Refilling 2x ?????

The percentage of dirty air and pure Nitrogen on a simple refill will nonetheless offer pretty much the same benefit and advantages than doing it twice. FWIW, I still think it's great but not practical.

Cheers,

MadloR

Geeze, cut me some slack, guys. I am way to lazy to try to resurrect my compressible gas equations from college to defend a brainless gas. I would assume that two successive fills if done properly would yield a mixture that is relatively close to 100% nitrogen.

That being said, I've already written of my experience with nitrogen in three vehicles and have no interest in it whatsoever. It's a waste of time. And I agree with MadloR that using nitrogen encourages you to neglect checking/filling your tires due to the inconvenience of running back and forth to Costco.

Air works for me.

Tom