Vsc + Traction Control

lexdriver

Just wonder Have you ever had/see/feel it work ?

yesterday rainning heavy in NJ... while driving.. the two wheels on the right side of my ES... hit water.. (about 3-4 inches deep)

(*) When my old Daytona hit water like that... the car slow down... the steering wheel.. vibrate and swing... I have to use lot of force to hold the steering wheel.. to keep the car go straight

This time.... the ES slowed down a little (the Daytona body is lower.. => some part of body and the wheels are in water; ES is higher.. so just the wheels are in water => more force holding on the Daytona than the ES)....

but I didn't feel the steering wheel vibrate or swing ...

Is it b/c the VSC and traction control have activated ?.. (I didn't see any warning light on or flashing)

Well, I actually turn it off in the snow. I grew up learning to drive in the snow and I find that the VSC muddles the feedback I get from the car. A good snow driver knows that there's not always something wrong with a little bit of slide.

Traction control was standard on the earlier ES300's ie my 2001 had it. But it was an option on the 03 and bundled with VSC. I live in Connecticut and have a driveway from hell which is why I stay with the ES300 (front wheel drive) and why I wanted and got the Traction control and VSC. I think it was worth the extra cost for me

Mike

have you ever tried just the TRAC without the VSC. i am wondering how much of a difference it makes. i do wish i had it on mine. i would get it installed if i could, but apparently not. i am a pretty careful driver, so maybe i will make it through the winter somehow..

we cannot turn off and on the VSC. It is the TRAC Control that has the on/off switch. I have tried the car without TRAC, it breaks a tire loose very easily.

I'm in MA and the VSC came in very handy several times last winter.

Probably this winter, too. We shall see.

steviej

I just had to go reread my '02 manual, pg 231-235.

Mine says that "the vehicle skid control system is always activated, even if the traction control is turned off."

So you are telling me that in the '03 you can turn off the VSC?

You have a button that says TRAC OFF and a button that says VSC OFF?

steviej

Nope I just have the one TRAC OFF button. I just checked my book also and it says the same. I just figured that it operated like my dad's LS400, the VSC off button deactivates the VSC AND the TRAC.

I leave it on all the time (the default is on, so if you turn the TRAC off it'll come back on when you restart), just turn it off in the snow. The only time I've ever had it engage is in the snow.

• 2 months later...

You left absolutely no information in your profile!

The year of your car makes a difference in how to change your air conditioner filter.

Also, this has been discussed before, so you should try the "search" function before posting.

If you want to test the TRAC, just do this.

Stop somewhere safe on pavement, maybe a parking lot.

Push hard on the brake with your left foot and hold it down.

Rev the engine until the tires start to spin.

TRAC will engage and the engine will slow down until the tires stop spinning.

• 9 months later...